Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-25-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Celeste
I'd like to know what you all think of this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2610905669.html
I find it interesting that some machines just scream at you to come get them, and others just can't motivate one to act.

This is one of them that just doesn't do it for me...no calling of come save me.

It would look pretty in someone's quilting store with a mini quilt draped over it.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by miriam
O.K. ya'll....I need some help. I had a gal contact me yesterday in regards to an ad I have on CL. She told me she had a "remarkable" FW that looked brand new in case. That the foot pedal was still in the cardboard box. It looks unused(so she says). She told me she's losing her home, if she can't come up with some quick cash, and is selling off her items.
She's asking $140. She told me she saw online they were going upwards of $500 in the condition hers was. She gave me the serial # and it's a 1937 machine(I looked it up). I asked her to send me a few pics. She was able to send me two dark pics and I believe she's led herself to think it's a FW, but the scroll plate etc. look like a 201.

Now, here's the deal. I've not really desired a 201, but I don't have one, and could rationalize adding an almost brand new 201 to my collection. I know she needs the money. But, what's a reasonable offer?
I wonder what she is trying to pull. If she really is moving offer he $50 and hope for $75. I paid $30 for one once.
I don't think she's trying to pull anything, really. I think she honestly doesn't know anything about sewing from her e-mails to me. I think she's like the many others who know nothing, that assume a travel case with a black singer in it, is a FW. I tend to think she's ignorant in sewing machines rather than dishonest. But, I also need to feel like I'm getting a decent price on it. I hate to have to break the news to her that she really doesn't have a FW.

I don't want to rip her off, but this machine hasn't been on my wish list either. Actually I'd prefer one of the newer 201's that has the more angular looking body...
You state that you had an ad on CL and that this gal contacts you to see if you wish to purchase her FW. Hummm...interesting.

I would tell her to post on CL if she hasn't already. THE END.

I'm not selling on CL, I've got an ad asking for ISO, so it would be legit for her to contact me.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM

[quote=Candace][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Candace][quote=miriam]
O.K. ya'll....I need some help. I had a gal contact me yesterday in regards to an ad I have on CL.

I'm not selling on CL, I've got an ad asking for ISO, so it would be legit for her to contact me.

Oh, I read your first sentence "in regards to an ad I have on CL" as that you had posted the ad.

Sorry for misreading your sentence.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:39 AM

[quote=Candace][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Candace][quote=miriam]

So you just looking for FWs? or other machines too?

I didn't realize your ad was ISO.
Are you in N. CA? Bay Area or Sacramento?

There was a free Singer in treadle posted.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2614518202.html
Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/app/2607105200.html
SWEET anybody live near Lafayette, Indiana?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Candace, I bought the touch up pens from Michaels (I think). Anyway, I was so excited to touch up some of my machines starting with my 1898 Model 28 that I went right to work with the touch up pen. It looked great too, until I dusted the machines! The black color came right off when I rubbed it. I was touching up right over the medal with no prep work. Maybe, if I had used a little alcohol or something to clean the bad spot it would have worked - don't know - but, I know it didn't work without doing some prep work!

Nancy, which brand did you use?
I used Homax Appliance Touch-Up. It is suppose to be "Heat Resistant, Hides Scratches, Chips, and Blemishes." It says to use on Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers, and Stoves, and that it "Works on Metal, Porcelain, and Enamel. I used it on several machines and all the touch up came off every machine when I next dusted the machines. I may use some alcohol and try again. I probably had too much Liquid Gold still on the surfaces since that is what I clean my machines with. The directions do not call for any prep work, but obviously I should have prepped the machines.

Nancy
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=Candace][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Candace]

Mainly, I'm looking for sad machines for parts. I've had a few responses. I'm actually not looking for a FW either, mainly parts for my 319's and 301.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Candace, I bought the touch up pens from Michaels (I think). Anyway, I was so excited to touch up some of my machines starting with my 1898 Model 28 that I went right to work with the touch up pen. It looked great too, until I dusted the machines! The black color came right off when I rubbed it. I was touching up right over the medal with no prep work. Maybe, if I had used a little alcohol or something to clean the bad spot it would have worked - don't know - but, I know it didn't work without doing some prep work!

Nancy, which brand did you use?
I'm interested in knowing how it turns out when you re-do it.
I used Homax Appliance Touch-Up. It is suppose to be "Heat Resistant, Hides Scratches, Chips, and Blemishes." It says to use on Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers, and Stoves, and that it "Works on Metal, Porcelain, and Enamel. I used it on several machines and all the touch up came off every machine when I next dusted the machines. I may use some alcohol and try again. I probably had too much Liquid Gold still on the surfaces since that is what I clean my machines with. The directions do not call for any prep work, but obviously I should have prepped the machines.

Nancy
Old 09-25-2011, 12:28 PM

[quote=Candace][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Candace][quote=vintagemotif]

Mainly, I'm looking for sad machines for parts. I've had a few responses. I'm actually not looking for a FW either, mainly parts for my 319's and 301.
IF you live up in Sacramento area, there is a lady that could be of help to you for some of your parts. She has thousands of parts! And hundreds of machines!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Muv? Is this you? I love these videos in any case - prepare to spend a good bit of time watching these. If you go just above the screen there is a place to click and you can watch all of Muv's videos. This is on cleaning up and oiling old sewing machines. Excellent info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidpJ..._order&list=UL
it will go on and do part 2 when part one runs completely out This is a very good video for cleaning up an old sewing machine!!!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. BTW what she does will work for most any old machine. Do consult your owner's manual!

Muv also did this one on tensions on the long bobbin machines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S43_-..._order&list=UL

Be prepared for a delightful informative video.

I'll also post this separately so that it can be found again.
I enjoy Muv's tutorials and those beautiful machines--the tension one was really good. It's going to be very helpful if I ever get my 127 back together! I subscribed to her channel as soon as I saw them.