Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I am ssssooooo bummed out. I just brought home a new baby. She is a Spartan. I checked and checked and checked and I can't find anything wrong with her. No lint, no caked on oil, her tension works fine, her bobbin area is immaculate, she sews a very nice stitch. Nothing for me to do. sigh. No, I'm not really bummed out. I'm thrilled. She takes the same bobbins the Singer 403 I use a lot uses. Well, she does have 2 flaws. A little scratch or two in her paint and the top of her case needs to be re-glued. She does not own a light. She came with a slant zipper foot and a button in her mostly dust free box. Oh and her wires are NEW and her bobbin winder is NEW and her belt is NEW. Her motor runs flat out fast.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263187.jpe  
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Thank you soooo much. I thought that was what I wanted, but didn't want to order til I knew. It is my intention to get a roll of it. Too much money to gamble on. LOL
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by buslady
When you buy belts for the treadle machines, do you buy 3/16 (5mm) or 7/16 (8mm)? The last one I got was 3/16, but looked pretty flimsey. I wonder if the 7/16 is too thick for some of the machines. Any help here at all would be greatly appreciated.
I have bought both; both work, but I like the 7/16, works well!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Thank you soooo much. I thought that was what I wanted, but didn't want to order til I knew. It is my intention to get a roll of it. Too much money to gamble on. LOL
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
When you buy belts for the treadle machines, do you buy 3/16 (5mm) or 7/16 (8mm)? The last one I got was 3/16, but looked pretty flimsey. I wonder if the 7/16 is too thick for some of the machines. Any help here at all would be greatly appreciated.
I have bought both; both work, but I like the 7/16, works well!
OOpps NO! I don't mean 7/16. Sorry don't buy that size.

Buy the 3/16. or the 5mm. I don't have a 7/16, but one 5/16.
Went back and measured my belts. All in use measure 5 mm or 3/16.
EEks don't listen to me.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Bennett
Oh my--jump on that 1st one. A new plate wouldn't be that hard to find, and the decals are so pretty! You can't go wrong at that price.
Yay! Just got an email - talked to Tim going to go look at the 15. I asked - he said it had the bobbin case. He also has a 99 that someone else is looking at. I don't know how I missed that one. He found these at garage sales and picked them (the 15 and 99) up thinking he could sell them and make a buck. He must have found them CHEAP! (I looked it up - this is the 99 he had - )
http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2616865389.html
Nice machines, both the 99 and the 15. The 99 is interesting to me because I have never seen one in a cabinet just in the cases. He did get the 99 cheap if $25 is his asking price.
He told me the lady didn't want the cabinet - just the machine. He gave me her phone #, but said she was hard to understand. He is a city fireman and said he saw all the stuff out on the lawn at a lawn sale and thought they looked cool. Wife sews - has a Janome and a Brother - and... a featherweight she never uses. He showed it to me. Starts with AL - great shape, good case, has the insert, only minor scratches on the top of the machine. It has the attachments and the button holer. He asked what they were going for and then said he was going to ask the wife about listing that, too.

Okay - I got the 15. I have a question. It measures about 7" under the harp and is about 14 1/2" by 7" - about the size of my 99. But the tension is on the front and by the serial numbers, it says its a 15. I thought they were bigger. Its all right by me, I want to put a crank on it (and I have one here handy!) and it is sure heavy enough already. I just had a question about it.

Singer 15 - ? , need to buy or make base, needs slide plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263273[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263220.jpe  
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Oh my--jump on that 1st one. A new plate wouldn't be that hard to find, and the decals are so pretty! You can't go wrong at that price.
Yay! Just got an email - talked to Tim going to go look at the 15. I asked - he said it had the bobbin case. He also has a 99 that someone else is looking at. I don't know how I missed that one. He found these at garage sales and picked them (the 15 and 99) up thinking he could sell them and make a buck. He must have found them CHEAP! (I looked it up - this is the 99 he had - )
Nice machines, both the 99 and the 15. The 99 is interesting to me because I have never seen one in a cabinet just in the cases. He did get the 99 cheap if $25 is his asking price.
He told me the lady didn't want the cabinet - just the machine. He gave me her phone #, but said she was hard to understand. He is a city fireman and said he saw all the stuff out on the lawn at a lawn sale and thought they looked cool. Wife sews - has a Janome and a Brother - and... a featherweight she never uses. He showed it to me. Starts with AL - great shape, good case, has the insert, only minor scratches on the top of the machine. It has the attachments and the button holer. He asked what they were going for and then said he was going to ask the wife about listing that, too.

Okay - I got the 15. I have a question. It measures about 7" under the harp and is about 14 1/2" by 7" - about the size of my 99. But the tension is on the front and by the serial numbers, it says its a 15. I thought they were bigger. Its all right by me, I want to put a crank on it (and I have one here handy!) and it is sure heavy enough already. I just had a question about it.
Your 15 is a beautiful machine!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Sew Classic has bases
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

Sew Classic has bases
There is this wooden one on eBay also - I could paint it a dark color...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-SEWIN...ht_1504wt_1395

I'll have to check out sew classic.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Sew Classic has bases

Do you have a link? I searched the site and couldn't find any bases for sale.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace

Sew Classic has bases

Do you have a link? I searched the site and couldn't find any bases for sale.
you know, I couldn't find any either. I know she's had them though. Send her an email and ask. I think she had a reasonable price on them too.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=86319923

Isn't this a pretty color? May have to bid. Pretty machines, everyone. And yes to the baby quilts, although here is the south, fuzzy is definitely optional. I always like to make one for a new baby, and it is usually the only hand made thing at the shower any more.

I just got through making memory quilts out of one of my daughter's friend's grandpa's shirts. They turned out really well, even if they seem strange to some people. The ones I made out of my daddy's shirts after he passed keeps me, my two daughters, and my sister warm all the time, like we can still feel him. The friend saw my daughter's and managed to get a handful of shirts for me to work with. I mainly used sheets to blend it out.