Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Hi All, I've been away from here a long time... My interests go back and forth between quilting and knitting. I am so sorry to hear of Billy's health problems and will add my prayers to the heap.

I have a question regarding the treadle in my avatar. I am using the old leather belt that it came with. More and more I notice the belt slipping. I'm sure the machine sat up for decades before I bought it and now that I'm using it the belt may be too dry or something? It is not cracked anywhere. It's hard to get the wheel to 'catch' and start sewing... Can I just shorten this belt or would it be wiser to change the belt? Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hi All, I've been away from here a long time... My interests go back and forth between quilting and knitting. I am so sorry to hear of Billy's health problems and will add my prayers to the heap.

I have a question regarding the treadle in my avatar. I am using the old leather belt that it came with. More and more I notice the belt slipping. I'm sure the machine sat up for decades before I bought it and now that I'm using it the belt may be too dry or something? It is not cracked anywhere. It's hard to get the wheel to 'catch' and start sewing... Can I just shorten this belt or would it be wiser to change the belt? Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.
Open the clip on it and snip off an inch or so...make another hole for the clip in the "new" end and you should be good to go!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Want to show you what DH and I got at an auction today. It's an early early Davis Vertical Feed. It has a number ingraved on the machine of 528. Hopefully that's the production number it also has a date on the bobbin plate of 1876. Just under that plate is the production number. The irons have decal work on them in the front and back and the little round "O" has vertical feed printed on it but you can't see it in the pictures. The drawer pulls have Davis written on them. The foot pedal has vertical feed on it also has a wooden pitman. Has anyone on here seen a tension like the one on this? It has an extension that raises up to make a larger table. Wasn't someone on here looking for a picture of a bracket like this one? If they were I hope they can see it ok. Best part about the whole machine is that it works good.

Trish that's a gorgeous cabinet! Yes, I was looking for a bracket like that for my old Singer VS2.
I second that, what a machine and cabinet...what exactly is "vertical feed" and is different that other machines????
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
Want to show you what DH and I got at an auction today. It's an early early Davis Vertical Feed. It has a number ingraved on the machine of 528. Hopefully that's the production number it also has a date on the bobbin plate of 1876. Just under that plate is the production number. The irons have decal work on them in the front and back and the little round "O" has vertical feed printed on it but you can't see it in the pictures. The drawer pulls have Davis written on them. The foot pedal has vertical feed on it also has a wooden pitman. Has anyone on here seen a tension like the one on this? It has an extension that raises up to make a larger table. Wasn't someone on here looking for a picture of a bracket like this one? If they were I hope they can see it ok. Best part about the whole machine is that it works good.

Trish that's a gorgeous cabinet! Yes, I was looking for a bracket like that for my old Singer VS2.
I second that, what a machine and cabinet...what exactly is "vertical feed" and is different that other machines????
Linda, "vertical feed" machines have no feed dogs. The fabric is moved along by the needle and presser foot. :)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 AM

My dad got the 99 in Rochester! It's in amazing shape. He took pictures of everything for me and I will upload them when I can get to a computer...can't do it from my iPad:( it has the manual, the cabinet is really nice and it has a million bobbins...well maybe not a million:) pictures soon. I won't see him till Christmas but it's awesome.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 AM

[quote=Charlee]

Linda, "vertical feed" machines have no feed dogs. The fabric is moved along by the needle and presser foot. :)
Here is information and pictures of the many Vertical Feeds that were made over the years. I own two Davis New Vertical Feeds (NVF), the very last one at the bottom of the page.

http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/DavisVFmodels.html

Here is a Video of machine in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxpWrP5Wrc

Very cool machine to play with! Great for quilting and sewing on the binding. The only Davis that takes standard needles, 15 x1, is the Davis NVF.

Trish's cabinet is gorgeous!!! Trish do you already own a Davis Vertical Feed or is this your first?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

[quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by Charlee

Here is information and pictures of the many Vertical Feeds that were made over the years. I own two Davis New Vertical Feeds (NVF), the very last one at the bottom of the page.

http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/DavisVFmodels.html

Here is a Video of machine in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxpWrP5Wrc

Very cool machine to play with! Great for quilting and sewing on the binding. The only Davis that takes standard needles, 15 x1, is the Davis NVF.

Trish's cabinet is gorgeous!!! Trish do you already own a Davis Vertical Feed or is this your first?
I have an industrial walking foot sewing machine. I think these would do about the same thing with out all the speed. I think it would be easier to control the treadle.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
There really is nothing like piecing on a treadle - it just makes me smile the whole time!!!
I agree! Very calming!!! -Something about the magic of the vintage machines, a feeling of peace.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Open the clip on it and snip off an inch or so...make another hole for the clip in the "new" end and you should be good to go!

Also instead of using the clip again, which can be a pain in the b#tt, just sew the belt together with dental floss. Sharon, Purplefiend, gave that as heads up here once. I gave it a try and now that is the only way a keep my leather belt attached.
Makes life much easier!!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Xtgirl
My dad got the 99 in Rochester! It's in amazing shape. He took pictures of everything for me and I will upload them when I can get to a computer...can't do it from my iPad:( it has the manual, the cabinet is really nice and it has a million bobbins...well maybe not a million:) pictures soon. I won't see him till Christmas but it's awesome.
Yay! Happy early Christmas! :)