Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM

A friend of hubby's saw a portable Red Eye at the auction yesterday and called me. I told him to offer $20. I never heard back. Hubby saw him today and the said that the man wanted $250 for it. Some people do not realize the price of theses old machines. Kathie
Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
A friend of hubby's saw a portable Red Eye at the auction yesterday and called me. I told him to offer $20. I never heard back. Hubby saw him today and the said that the man wanted $250 for it. Some people do not realize the price of theses old machines. Kathie
You are so correct. Approximately a page ago I posted some CL ads of the type "What are they smoking?" Someone wanted $350 for a treadle machine but all the ad showed was the cabinet - not on my list but still makes the category.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
If it's such a treasure, it looks like he'll keep it! It amazes me how stubborn(dumb too) people can be by the constant reposting of machines on CL. People will continue to try to sell their machines at ridiculous prices and they don't get it when other, similar machines are posted for much, much less and sell- and theirs don't!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:15 PM

This is a machine I've been wanting, though the drive would be long for me:< I wonder what kind of elbow grease would be needed?:>
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh/2605306465.html
Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cheryl222
I bought a Singer 403 and a Singer Stylist 457. Both have what looks like a class 66 bobbin plastic bobbin. I bought a couple of packs of class 66 at Walmart (metal) and they won't work. Am I wrong in thinking these machines take the class 66?
The 403 for sure takes a class 66. The WM bobbins are good for dis-assembly and making earrings. I buy mine from Jenny at Sew-Classic. I don't know anything about the stylist
Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by cheryl222
I bought a Singer 403 and a Singer Stylist 457. Both have what looks like a class 66 bobbin plastic bobbin. I bought a couple of packs of class 66 at Walmart (metal) and they won't work. Am I wrong in thinking these machines take the class 66?
The 403 for sure takes a class 66. The WM bobbins are good for dis-assembly and making earrings. I buy mine from Jenny at Sew-Classic. I don't know anything about the stylist
Thanks! just ordered 20!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

motor repair link - better book mark it in case you need it:
http://reviews.ebay.com/HOW-TO-OVERH...00000004665359

TNT has a schematic of the slant-o-matic motors:
http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMat...tor_Wiring.pdf

sew classic has some info on motors
Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
This is a machine I've been wanting, though the drive would be long for me:< I wonder what kind of elbow grease would be needed?:>
:shock: This is one for the CL Sewing Machine Shop of horrors!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I wonder how it managed to get paint all over it? :-(
Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Hi Everybody. I am having a problem with my longest owned and most used machine. I have a Bernina Record 830 and have used it constantly (no sitting up...) for the past 25+ years. Lately I have a tension problem I can't seem to get to the bottom of. The top tension is tight, no matter what I do. The machine is kept oiled and the lint cleaned out. I have cleaned real well between and around the tension disc plates. I changed the needle. I have the bobbin set kind of tight to help pull the top thread down, and the top tension is set way too loose, but still I get tight top tension. There just isn't all that much to the top tension and threading and still I can't get it to have an acceptable tension! Any ideas? Could the tension discs be bent if the machine has not undergone any trauma and been used continually for this long? I know this machine like the back of my hand-- it's been my main workhorse-- but I can't figure this out.
Thanks for your thoughts!