Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Okay, I have finally found a 301...

The owner is asking $70.00 and the machine has been listed since the middle of August.

What should I offer.. I was thinking $50.00???
That's a good offer. Just make sure it has the bobbin case. Nice looking machine too.
Sharon W.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Bennett
I keep looking at this one. Is it really green? Manufactured that way? Why leave the stitch length selector plate black? It just seems odd to me. http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2534751959.html
I have a older Bernina that is that color green and it is the original color of the machine. It might be the original color or maybe not but it does look nice with that color. ~ Chris
Edit: Just noticed motor is black also like the stitch length selector. It might be a 201 - kinda looks like mine. Green may not be original color but still like it. Price is reasonable if it works.
That green machine is a 201, mine is a hand crank/treadle machine.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Bennett
I keep looking at this one. Is it really green? Manufactured that way? Why leave the stitch length selector plate black? It just seems odd to me. http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2534751959.html
I have a older Bernina that is that color green and it is the original color of the machine. It might be the original color or maybe not but it does look nice with that color. ~ Chris
Edit: Just noticed motor is black also like the stitch length selector. It might be a 201 - kinda looks like mine. Green may not be original color but still like it. Price is reasonable if it works.

Is that thing really green or is it the light? or is it 'patina' of some sort?

That green machine is a 201, mine is a hand crank/treadle machine.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I had posted about a pink Dressmaker sewing machine that I just feel in love with. I am thinking of purchasing it. Is it easy to find parts for this machine? I have not been able to find information on this specific looking model. I have been told that it comes with a knee bar, no foot pedal. Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Anamaria, if that machine is reasonably priced I'd get it. I love the color and it is a 15 clone, but the best thing is those 15 clones are great machines. It will drop its feed dogs - the switch is right there on the top of the bed of the machine - for free motion quilting if you want to do some free motion. Kathie just got a 15 clone also, but hers is an older model and to drop her feed dogs you have to turn a thumb screw underneath the bed - which is still fine! But, that model has the switch on top!

Nancy
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Just finished a tutorial on machine binding using a Davis NVF and Singer 328; can be found on my blog.

I spent late last night (very early morning) trying to improve the look of my machine binding work. This is what I came up with after many trial and errors.
Ya did good! :) I'm DYING to get this Davis up and running!! I just have to keep telling myself, "It'll happen...patience Grasshopper!!" :lol:

I absolutely LOVE the duct tape on the attachments!! It made me smile!! :)
Charlee, I also have an older Davis Vertical Feed, but yours is older than mine - mine is also pre 1900! Love the machine and I really love the treadle! Your treadle actually says "vertical feed" doesn't it? Wow! My Betty's treadle does not say anything, not even 'Davis.' Yours, being a coffin top, is really puurrrty! Good luck with her, and have patience when you start sewing with her - they take some getting use to! Also, that Davis will give you a work out! When I put on a binding with her, I get worn out from treadling!

Nancy
Old 09-25-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
A question for those who may know...what paint touch up manufacturer and color do you use for black Singers? I went to JoAnnes and there are at least 4 or 5 and I had no idea which would be better, an acrylic base an oil base etc. Some said shine finish, some didn't and I didn't want to guess. Which do you use and like best? I've got a black 319 that has some chips I'd like to touch up.
Candace, I bought the touch up pens from Michaels (I think). Anyway, I was so excited to touch up some of my machines starting with my 1898 Model 28 that I went right to work with the touch up pen. It looked great too, until I dusted the machines! The black color came right off when I rubbed it. I was touching up right over the medal with no prep work. Maybe, if I had used a little alcohol or something to clean the bad spot it would have worked - don't know - but, I know it didn't work without doing some prep work!

Nancy
Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

My treadle moves better now. I pulled out all kinds of thread and junk from the moving parts. Then I put some Triflow grease on those places that join and move. It moves a lot smoother now.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Candace
A question for those who may know...what paint touch up manufacturer and color do you use for black Singers? I went to JoAnnes and there are at least 4 or 5 and I had no idea which would be better, an acrylic base an oil base etc. Some said shine finish, some didn't and I didn't want to guess. Which do you use and like best? I've got a black 319 that has some chips I'd like to touch up.
Candace, I bought the touch up pens from Michaels (I think). Anyway, I was so excited to touch up some of my machines starting with my 1898 Model 28 that I went right to work with the touch up pen. It looked great too, until I dusted the machines! The black color came right off when I rubbed it. I was touching up right over the medal with no prep work. Maybe, if I had used a little alcohol or something to clean the bad spot it would have worked - don't know - but, I know it didn't work without doing some prep work!

Nancy
I'm glad you said that. My 'new' Federal clone has some pretty good gouges in the paint and I was thinking about doing something like that. I sure don't want paint rubbing off on a quilt.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Hi everyone. I need a little help. I am in the market for a restored Treadle machine. I have the cabinet. Last year I purchased a machine and cabinet. I had plans on restoring both pieces. Well, let's just say I did better on the cabinet than I did the machine. It is still in pieces and my hubby has given up on me ever putting it back together. Today he told me, "just go and buy a machine that is already done". So now my mission is to find the perfect treadle machine. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance :D
So hubby has given up on you ever putting it back together, but could hubby be of help by helping you put the machine back together....two heads are better than one sometimes.

You didn't tell us what you own now: the cabinet and the machine that needs to be reassembled.

If it is a Singer 66, 99, 15, or 201, this site may be of help to you in reassembling the machine.

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
It is a very plain looking singer 66. My dream machine would be one with the egyptian decals. I am not really stuck on any certain model, since I haven't really sewn on any older machines. I guess you could say I am into the looks :roll:

I did find a lotus 66 on CL. But the lady wants 225 for the machine and cabinet. I think it is way to much. I would rather pay that much for a machine head that is really good working order.

As far as getting the one back together. I am very bad about starting a project and never finishing. I tend to get bored. I know I should probably try again.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Hi everyone. I need a little help. I am in the market for a restored Treadle machine. I have the cabinet. Last year I purchased a machine and cabinet. I had plans on restoring both pieces. Well, let's just say I did better on the cabinet than I did the machine. It is still in pieces and my hubby has given up on me ever putting it back together. Today he told me, "just go and buy a machine that is already done". So now my mission is to find the perfect treadle machine. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance :D
So hubby has given up on you ever putting it back together, but could hubby be of help by helping you put the machine back together....two heads are better than one sometimes.

You didn't tell us what you own now: the cabinet and the machine that needs to be reassembled.

If it is a Singer 66, 99, 15, or 201, this site may be of help to you in reassembling the machine.

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
It is a very plain looking singer 66. My dream machine would be one with the egyptian decals. I am not really stuck on any certain model, since I haven't really sewn on any older machines. I guess you could say I am into the looks :roll:

I did find a lotus 66 on CL. But the lady wants 225 for the machine and cabinet. I think it is way to much. I would rather pay that much for a machine head that is really good working order.

As far as getting the one back together. I am very bad about starting a project and never finishing. I tend to get bored. I know I should probably try again.
Does her machine work? Offer her just a little less than what you think is reasonable for a working machine - you can always go up. It sounds like you don't want another project - you might want to pass if it doesn't work. Remember not all machines need a total spa treatment. If you do get it, most of the parts should interchange.