Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
I keep looking at this one. Is it really green? Manufactured that way? Why leave the stitch length selector plate black? It just seems odd to me. http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2534751959.html
I have a older Bernina that is that color green and it is the original color of the machine. It might be the original color or maybe not but it does look nice with that color. ~ Chris
Edit: Just noticed motor is black also like the stitch length selector. It might be a 201 - kinda looks like mine. Green may not be original color but still like it. Price is reasonable if it works.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
Wanna buy 50 ANTIQUE AND COLLECTABLE Handcrank Sewing Machines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-ANTIQUE-A...#ht_500wt_1057

OR

1952 Singer 221K Featherweight "WHITE" Sewing Machine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Singer-...#ht_500wt_1211
Darn! The handcranks are local pick up only!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by missgigglewings
I received free, an older metal, Montgomery Ward sewing machine. It looks great but the gears are frozen. A repair man has had it soaking in something for over a month and is giving it back to me. It is still frozen but he said it would cost over 200.00 to take apart the gears and fix it to run. The motor hums along, so I know it is ok. Anyone have any ides about this little problem! I like the machine because you can drop the feed dogs, it is nice and clean and there is no rust.
Someone probably used the wrong lubricant on it, (like 3 in 1 oil that ages to horrid orange chewing gum consistency in the works). The one I had that was frozen up like that I finally used a combination of denatured alcohol and "mean green" degreaser applied and scrubbed with a toothbrush on all the gears. It took it off, just be careful to keep it off the finish if you can--maybe cover the painted metal exterior with plastic wrap. After brushing it and scrubbing it, I kept working the wheel back and forth till it started to move,then cleaned each new area of gear as it was exposed. Took a while to get all the gum out, but then washed it down with kerosene and then oiled it. Caution: flammable stuff, don't plug in machine and run motor till it is all nice and dried for a day, and work on cleaning outdoors if possible.
You do have a point. It may not be rust. It may be 3 in 1 oil dried on there. If so some denatured alcohol brushed on might wash it off. Use a natural brush and keep it off the paint. If the sewing machine guy just has it in something to soak off rust it sure won't take off 3 in 1 oil. Won't faze the stuff. I would love to know where you found Mean Green???
I get "mean Green" at a store called Dollar Tree. It is a degreaser. Works well. (I usually use it on my stove.)
Old 09-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Hi everyone. I need a little help. I am in the market for a restored Treadle machine. I have the cabinet. Last year I purchased a machine and cabinet. I had plans on restoring both pieces. Well, let's just say I did better on the cabinet than I did the machine. It is still in pieces and my hubby has given up on me ever putting it back together. Today he told me, "just go and buy a machine that is already done". So now my mission is to find the perfect treadle machine. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance :D
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM

Finding a machine to fit may be a problem. I'm finding they are quite different. I was thinking of putting my Leader in my Ruby cabinet. I don't think so. What kind is the poor dismantled machine?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 PM

I'd like to know what you all think of this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2610905669.html
I think in the time it took you to post this, it would have been sitting on my table!!! With the "OBO", I'd have offered less, and coughed up the full $100 if I had to! :lol:
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Hi everyone. I need a little help. I am in the market for a restored Treadle machine. I have the cabinet. Last year I purchased a machine and cabinet. I had plans on restoring both pieces. Well, let's just say I did better on the cabinet than I did the machine. It is still in pieces and my hubby has given up on me ever putting it back together. Today he told me, "just go and buy a machine that is already done". So now my mission is to find the perfect treadle machine. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance :D
What is the machine that you took apart? Why haven't you put it back together?
Those questions out of the way....what is the machine? While many machines will fit into Singer cabinets, some won't. Wheeler and Wilson won't. Kenmore won't. (Singer won't fit those cabs either). It just all depends on what you have and what you want!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM

So hubby has given up on you ever putting it back together, but could hubby be of help by helping you put the machine back together....two heads are better than one sometimes.

You didn't tell us what you own now: the cabinet and the machine that needs to be reassembled.

If it is a Singer 66, 99, 15, or 201, this site may be of help to you in reassembling the machine.

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

I'd like to know what you all think of this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2610905669.html
It's darling isn't it? Well, if you bought a machine for $30 or $50 and put a crank on it you would pay another $30 or so... do the math... How free does it turn? Is it gunky/gummy inside? Does it have any attachments? Are the bobbin case & bobbins there? If you have to pay for extra pieces I sure would be talking the people down a bit. Does it have a cover? How long have you been looking for one?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

Do not feel too bad about giving up - I have had to give up on a couple before too. They make real good parts machines. Just go buy another one just like it. Then make sure it doesn't need the total spa treatment. The other thing you might do if you find another one is use it to look at to fix up the dud. I have to do that sometimes myself.

PLEASE NOTE: You do not always need to do the TOTAL spa treatment to get a machine to work. If the machine is actually working just a good cleaning is really all it needs. The total spa treatment should be for those that actually are gummed up, rusted out and in general don't work right. Having to do a total spa treatment can be a fun and very satisfying experience if you can figure out how to get it back together if not it can be shear frustration. I have one machine that took about 2 years to get it right. I learned SSSSOOOOOO much doing it though. If you do have a next time for disassembling a machine, keep a camera around and take tons of pictures. Put parts in a muffin tin in the order they come off. Keep tension parts in one muffin pan, bobbin area parts in another. Keep kids away... Do it pretty quickly so you remember how it went. Keep a good service manual around - these days you can get them - service manuals used to be the deep dark secret in the service man's back room or some such.

Let us know what the perfect treadle looks like?