Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
JlJack, Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope things get better for you and your family.
Thanks, Trish. She is due to come home tomorrow, and hopefully things will be semi-organized by Christmas, and then full blown move-'her-in the following week.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
Will all the goodies that fit the FW fit the 301 also? TIA
No - The 301 is a slant shank, and the FW is a low shank, but straight. They are not interchangeable at all!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
That is a beauty. My DH thinks I'm crazy because I make over these old machines. Well it is no worse that their old cars and guns, lol.
Yes, that is what I tell him...he has SKADS of "hobbies" (his word...mine is "junk") all over the house and the garage, and since I have been bringing home machines, he keeps saying we don't have room. Well, get rid of some of this JUNK that's been sitting around for years that you have lost interest in, and then I will have ROOM!! :-)
Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Default machines value?

Hello everyone, I'm very new to the forum but have an odd question.

My mother has recently passed away but used to run a business that leverage industrial sewing machines.

In an attempt to settle a few of my parents bills I'd like to sell them.  How can I determine what a fair price is for these machines?

I know one of the machines is a Singer 191. I also have several cutting tools and electric punches...

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!

Last edited by mhat1974; 12-20-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: displaying incorrectly
Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mhat1974 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm very new to the forum but have an odd question.

My mother has recently passed away but used to run a business that leverage industrial sewing machines.

In an attempt to settle a few of my parents bills I'd like to sell them. *How can I determine what a fair price is for these machines?

I know one of the machines is a Singer 191. I also have several cutting tools and electric punches...

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!
Five years ago you could get top dollar for that stuff. Now days... just go cruise on CL in various parts of the country. What I would also suggest is that you find a similar business somewhere and see what they would offer for all of it. I am hanging on to my equipment - I know I can't get what it is worth. I still use it but not so much - I keep it oiled and used enough to not go totally dead.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:45 PM

I've been playing the last few days. I didn't really mean to, but it started with trying out some Bar Keeper's Friend on the slide plates. Then I figured I needed something to polish up while watching TV, so off came all the little bits for cleaning. Then I couldn't just put her shiny jewelry in a drawer, so she had to be cleaned up. I've never used a shuttle and long bobbin before, but she sews a nice stitch and it wasn't too hard to do. It will be a while before I get her in the treadle to really try her out.

Singer 27, dated to 1898.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296695[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296696[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails before.jpg   after.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Wpw Bennett - that looks great - those old ladies to clean up for show now don't they! It's even more fun when you get them to sew.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Wow Bennett!! What a difference a day makes!! She's beautiful!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM

I have a PM into Sew Classic about the cords and foot pedal for a 403. Is there another source I can check, besides Billy? I don't want to bother him with something like this during his busy Christmas week.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
I have a PM into Sew Classic about the cords and foot pedal for a 403. Is there another source I can check, besides Billy? I don't want to bother him with something like this during his busy Christmas week.
Sew Classic is the best!!! Get some bobbins there too - the ones from WM don't hold up. She is shutting down in a day or so for Christmas according to her site - I just put in an order a couple minutes ago.

Last edited by miriam; 12-20-2011 at 02:43 PM.