Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM

OMGosh!! Ladies....my New Home tension is just exactly like some shown here...I don't have that big piece on the bottom....it's just like Judy's!!! HURRAY!!! It is bent however, but I can staighten that. So to set the tension I just turn that little knob, right? And if I take this all apart for cleaning there isn't going to be any spring to watch fly across the room is there? The tension is just between the little metal piece on the left side and the long bent piece on top, I'm thinking!! I talked to a maintenance guy at work and he's gonna try to solder the thread guide on the face plate, and I'm gonna ask if he knows something that will clean it up. It's like it's been varnished or something. It might need kerosene to come clean. Oh, thank you all so much for helping me with this! For pointing out the Smithsonian pics! I go so wrapped up in the pics on here that I forgot mine isn't exactly like all of yours! Well, now it has some sisters!!
So, tonight I give it another go! Should be good to go. After I fix the threading issue! )))
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]300975[/ATTACH]Here is my Mother's Pfaff 130 in her new permanent home! This cabinet is so cool because the whole front comes out and it is a chair with 2 drawers in the chair! I can keep all the 130's attachments with the machine! She is set up in my sewing room where she should be along with my 319w treadle and my 1222e Pfaff (which is my first sewimg machine)!

Thank you Cathy for the help and the hinges! I will return the unused hinges when I pick up the mocha machine!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails pfaff-130-closed-cabinet.jpg  
Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM

It looks like Phyllis and I have the same New Home. Mine was put together in bits and pieces, but it was a labor of love, so I didn't mind. I bought the head, a girlfriend gave me the missing bobbin winder, had a base built for it, bought a specially made adapter and crank for it, a spring to run the bobbin winder, and I still need a nut for the stitch length adjuster. It cost much more than some of my machines I bought complete, but just had to try it!!
I'm still not sure your bottom plate is missing. Have you taken the top one off? Try that, and post a picture, and we'll see if it's missing!!
Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
Wow! Ladies you have some beautiful New Homes!! It appears I am missing a piece of the tension. Not sure what it does exactly...puts tension on the thread obviously...and it also appears that my top plate is bent. Sewww....anyone know where I can find a new used one? I might be able to bend the plate I have back into shape, but will need the bottom piece. My daughter will be disappointed, cuz she was told this machine needed only the belt to run. LOL! That's Craigslist for ya!
Phyllis, thank you so much for the threading picture! That made everything so clear! You are so smart to use that heavy turquoise thread so I could see it well.
Now to find parts!
Thank you all for your help!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 PM

If I had waited and read all of the posts, I would see that Nancy already said it all, LOL!! And yes, the 2nd picture is taken with the top tension removed.

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Miz Johnny, I know I am easily confused, but you took the tension plate off in the second picture?

Nancy

Ok, I am awake now. You are all talking about the little release attachment thingy on the tension plate that is missing on Randa's New Home?

Randa, I am not so sure you are missing anything on your tension plate. Look at the Smithsonian photo of the New Home tension. It shows a tension plate exactly like yours. There is no second part in that photo, only the flat plate on top. I am thinking because your machine is older than the rest of ours, it didn't have that fancy release thingy? Anyway, on all the photo's on the Light Running New Home Sewing Machine manual from the Smithsonian, there is no release part of the tension. Look at page 12 and 13 of the manual, the tension plate in identical to yours.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Baking soda is actually a mild abrasive; I would be very careful using it. I also would be careful using Dawn. Sometimes I use GoJo, no pumice, but I don't think Goop works very well, either. If you want a truly beautiful shine, TR-3 Resin Glaze is absolutely amazing. Be prepared to spend some time if you choose to use it, though, it's not a quick fix. A bag or two of good quality cotton balls and a few movies to entertain you will do the trick.
I cleaned a metal-based machine that I really thought was beyond hope, and it turned out absolutely beautiful. You just have to keep polishing away until the grime is gone. The good news is it's a polish as well as a cleaner, so when you're done, you don't have to worry about putting another top coat on like you do with GoJo.
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Ok, I’ll use a chenille needle to thread it, I use one to hide threads when quilting. I don’t have to hunt one of them.
And I might try baking soda to deep clean. I use it cleaning stuff, it does not scratch. i used goop and you see the results, it did not touch it.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Is this correct? I had to use a floss threader to thread it. A pain in the *** to thread if this is right. Thanks ladies.[ATTACH=CONFIG]300858[/ATTACH]
DH wants to know what part those big nuts came off of. We have a lot of machines and haven't seen any nuts that size except maybe on a plow. LOL
Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 PM

~grin~ The spousal unit just walked in the house with a 603...he picked it up at Goodwill for $5! I keep trying to tell him "resistance is futile", I think he's starting to believe me!

The machine will probably go back tho...too many parts missing...but it has the "0" cam....THAT will stay!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
~grin~ The spousal unit just walked in the house with a 603...he picked it up at Goodwill for $5! I keep trying to tell him "resistance is futile", I think he's starting to believe me!

The machine will probably go back tho...too many parts missing...but it has the "0" cam....THAT will stay!
The Singer 603 doesn't need a "0" cam to zig zag.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]300975[/ATTACH]Here is my Mother's Pfaff 130 in her new permanent home! This cabinet is so cool because the whole front comes out and it is a chair with 2 drawers in the chair! I can keep all the 130's attachments with the machine! She is set up in my sewing room where she should be along with my 319w treadle and my 1222e Pfaff (which is my first sewimg machine)!

Thank you Cathy for the help and the hinges! I will return the unused hinges when I pick up the mocha machine!

Nancy
The design of that cabinet is very cool, so sleek and compact. Why can't they make sewing furniture like that these days? I see all these sewing cabinets and craft tables around, but they all look so clunky and cheap when you compare them to something like this. (Do I sound old and grumpy enough??)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
DH wants to know what part those big nuts came off of. We have a lot of machines and haven't seen any nuts that size except maybe on a plow. LOL
The nuts came from surplus city, I bought them for pattern weights. They work great, and they are easy to grab and move bet heavy enough to stay in place.