Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM

I'm guessing you already have this, but just in case:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...viceman-1.html

I remember taking the whole bobbin assembly out of my machine one time to check for threads behind it, but darned if I can remember how I did it. I know I didn't have to retime it or anything afterwards.

Originally Posted by jljack
OK, I have a big problem. Further to my problem of the needle won't go down the throat on my FW, I cannot get one of the throat plate screws loose. It's like it's glued in place. It's the front one, so of course, hard to get a good sized screwdriver on it. I put some WD40 around the edge of the screw, and I tried for 20 minutes to get it out. Not a budge!!! I am soooo frustrated with it. The rear screw came right out. From the bottom I was able to see some very old thick thread wound around behind the bobbin/hook assembly, and I think I got it all out. But the needle still won't go down.

Any suggestions? I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I'm kinda mad at myself for not verifying that it was operational before I bought it. The handwheel turns fine until you put a needle in...which it did not have in when I bought it. My own fault. But at this point I just want her working.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by kwendt
Nice save on that 66 Red Head, Jan.
I am going to ditch the motor and get a large wheel and probably hand crank it.

Texas Jan
Wow! Even though that 66 is so dirty, you can still see that the decals are almost perfect underneath the grime. I hope you will post some 'side-by-side' BEFORE and AFTER pictures of it.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Yeah--they make noise, but believe me, they want to keep us happy.
Make sure they understand this makes you HAPPY!
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Cheri_J
Sob Sob Sob... I have seven vintage singers - dated between 1921 - 1924. Three are portables - in the coffin wooden cases and three are in the treadle cabinets. One is "loose" no case or cabinet. The reason I'm sad is because my husband refuses to let me bring anymore home. He thinks seven machines is enough. He said we don't have enough house to have any more. He is right, we really don't have the room, but I would love to have more. Everyone's machines are great here.
mine is making some noise too...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM

[quote=chris_quilts] My kids are making the noise too but none yet from DH. I am rehoming a couple of them this coming week. [quote]

Are you rehoming machines or kids? In case you're still thinking about this, machines not only don't need money for college, they also don't talk back.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Ok, know this is a stupid question but since I don't have a manual for my (new to me) Singer 28, I have a question. First, is it suppose to have a foot pedal? There's a place in the Bentwood top for what looks like a foot pedal. I do have the metal bar that fits into the hole on the bottom of the case.

I am also missing the power cord. Does anyone out there have a power cord for the Singer 28? And, I also need a manual...free pdf is fine with me.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM

I have one on CL and somebody didn't show to get it tonight.
THAT happens all the time. I have learned not to count on someone until I see the money in my hand.
I have had people who "definitely want it", 6 or 7 emails back and forth, and then--never hear from them again. Some just have no idea what they're talking about. Someone Really Wanted my 403, but as it turned out, SHE thought it was an embroidery machine. (Yep, from 1960.) For that matter, do people REALLY think they're going to buy an embroidery machine for $125?
Ah, craigslist!!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Could be that no one else has this White cabinet #9. I find this sort of thing intriguing as all get out. Thanks again... kim
I must have missed this--which one is #9?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny]Yeah--they make noise, but believe me, they want to keep us happy.
Make sure they understand this makes you HAPPY!
Originally Posted by Cheri_J
Sob Sob Sob... I have seven vintage singers - dated between 1921 - 1924. Three are portables - in the coffin wooden cases and three are in the treadle cabinets. One is "loose" no case or cabinet. The reason I'm sad is because my husband refuses to let me bring anymore home. He thinks seven machines is enough. He said we don't have enough house to have any more. He is right, we really don't have the room, but I would love to have more. Everyone's machines are great here.
wholequote]
Miss Johnny, I whole heartedly agree! Machines are a lot more quiet also and don't talk back. Maybe I should get rid of my dh too. More time to play with machines!
Jan on 446
>^::^<
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 PM

There is a Rocketeer on CL in the Pac NW (Everett) for $10 with quite a few attachments.

Oh...not to drive thru hellish traffic on a Friday. If it's there Sat....maybe
Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Cheri, I have several machines. I put the portables on top of the cabinets ones. That way two machines take up the space of one. I am getting machine # 21 tomorrow. Kathie

Ohhh, good idea!! Keeps one hidden! HeHe