Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. It is plenty to get me started. Woopie!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Too bad you don't live closer to me--I have one in my basement. The cabinet is in excellent condition, but I've never gotten around to cleaning up the machine itself. When I get a path cleared to it, it's going on craigslist as well. As pretty as it is, I'm never going to use it.
Mine has the silverplated arm.
Originally Posted by hootnannie
I'm always looking at CL and wish I could afford this beauty. I've not seen a cabinet like this before... gorgeous!!
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/atq/2472363807.html
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Thanks for the quick replies. It is plenty to get me started. Woopie!
be very careful with the kerosene around any rubber belts or wheels
Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM

So, do you ever really get a perfect tension on the old machines? I have a black 301 that I LUV. I use it but the tension has always been a "tad" off. There is always a tiny bit showing either top or bottom. And my top tension will be awful if I do anything other than between 0-1

I have a tan 301 that i'm not so in love with. Doesn't sound the same as the black one and I just can't bond with it yet. I can NOT get the tension even remotely good on this one. It's "ok" but not right. I'm tempted to pop it in the cabinet and use it just to be using it and hoping it works out some on it's own. I'm seriously thiking of sending it to Billy in a few months for a makeover. I love red. Maybe I would LUV it in red :)

Now I know why I would always hear my mom bit*hing about the tension :oops:
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
So, do you ever really get a perfect tension on the old machines? I have a black 301 that I LUV. I use it but the tension has always been a "tad" off. There is always a tiny bit showing either top or bottom. And my top tension will be awful if I do anything other than between 0-1
I have a tan 301 that i'm not so in love with. Doesn't sound the same as the black one and I just can't bond with it yet. I can NOT get the tension even remotely good on this one. .... Now I know why I would always hear my mom bit*hing about the tension :oops:
I have the same issue with my FW but not the 301. She sews perfectly and no tension issues unless it also involves operator error. I have yet to figure out the FW tension issues and there's another non-Singer that i have constant tension issues with which is why it will be rehomes as sson as I can get it halfway decent. Wishing you luck. ~~ Chris
Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Found a machine like this in a consignment store. Does anyone know anything about a Coronado? I like the turn wheel on it for some silly reason. The person is asking $75 but without me trying to dicker the price she lowered it to $50. It has the cabinet also like the one in the photo. Any info would be much appreciated! :-D

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...134120239.html
Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 PM

I have the same issue with my FW but not the 301. She sews perfectly and no tension issues unless it also involves operator error. I have yet to figure out the FW tension issues and there's another non-Singer that i have constant tension issues with which is why it will be rehomes as sson as I can get it halfway decent. Wishing you luck. ~~ Chris[/quote]

I had issues with my FW also. I got discouraged and sold it to Nancy for what I paid for it. Nancy, being the wonderful person that she is, would not stop working on it until she found out the problem. She took a flashlight and tweezers and worked on it for a long time and found a long hair in the bobbin area. That fixed the tension problem. Kathie
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Found a machine like this in a consignment store. Does anyone know anything about a Coronado? I like the turn wheel on it for some silly reason. The person is asking $75 but without me trying to dicker the price she lowered it to $50. It has the cabinet also like the one in the photo. Any info would be much appreciated! :-D

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...134120239.html
It looks like a National.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have the same issue with my FW but not the 301. She sews perfectly and no tension issues unless it also involves operator error. I have yet to figure out the FW tension issues and there's another non-Singer that i have constant tension issues with which is why it will be rehomes as sson as I can get it halfway decent. Wishing you luck. ~~ Chris
I had issues with my FW also. I got discouraged and sold it to Nancy for what I paid for it. Nancy, being the wonderful person that she is, would not stop working on it until she found out the problem. She took a flashlight and tweezers and worked on it for a long time and found a long hair in the bobbin area. That fixed the tension problem. Kathie[/quote]

I will remember this when I can't figure out why the tension is still off after going through the routine check. Thanks for sharing this info.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM

http://jackson.craigslist.org/art/2479764392.html

Just thought everyone would like to have another "great' idea for repurposing a vintage sewing machine. LOL