Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 AM

Looking at the screw on the top makes me think it would be a ruffler. I've never seen a screw like that on a walking foot. :?: :?: :?:
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
does anyone know what this is... :roll: antique walking foot...I bought 13 attachments for the back clamp singer and this was in it...lots of attachments I probably will never get into. thats the stitches the treadle is doing after got it all cleaned up and running. She is a trooper.
I am very new here, but this looks just like my ruffler foot. :)

I also wanted to post pictures of the machine I just restored - I am pretty excited about it - thanks to Billy's tutorials and a couple of other tutorials, I was able to get my new machine to whirr like I've never heard before - it's just the most beautiful sound...

I purchased her on Craigslist with her table for $65. She was in very good condition.

Before:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_14761.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_14772.jpg[/IMG]

After:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_15221.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_15232.jpg[/IMG]

Now, I have the problem of... my plastic machines just don't give me the satisfaction that this one does - so I'd love to find an old machine that does a zig-zag (love the look of the 301s, but I don't think they do it). Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

THanks!
D~
Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 AM

This reminds me of the quote from "Moscow on the Hudson": "Everybody I meet is from somewhere else." I'm from Iowa. I came down here to visit a friend; hated Lexington, but met this guy. . .I went back to Iowa, but we all know how this ends--I've been here for 33 years. I have gotten used to Lexington, though!!
Where in Arkansas are you? I really thought that's where I wanted to live--the Ozarks!! I'm probably the only person in KY who doesn't follow the Cats, but my husband, son and daughter make up for it.

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Miz Johnny I am from Clay City, KY! The Air Force brought my husband here 16 yrs ago and we stayed. My mom passed away 7 yrs ago and we don't make it back to KY much anymore, but we are still big Wildcat fans!!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 AM

SerendipiD, I think all the Singer 400 series except one are ZZ machines as are the 500s. Necchi had the very first one. My Elna is another. shopgoodwill.com just sold the twin to my Elna for $36. Right now there is a 201 for $26, but it's not a ZZ - just advertised as Singer's finest. They also have a very old machine that needs tlc for $12.

BTW, your 15 is beautiful.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Back clamping ruffler--but looks like piece on the top is bent.
Originally Posted by LindaR
does anyone know what this is... :roll: antique walking foot...I bought 13 attachments for the back clamp singer and this was in it...lots of attachments I probably will never get into. thats the stitches the treadle is doing after got it all cleaned up and running. She is a trooper.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whatever
help please. bought a singer number says its 1912 well daughter was trying to be helpful while I was at work she oiled it had printed out instructions how to clean and oil. it showed the holes on the motor and said they were oil holes she put oil in them now if you run the machine sparks start is there a way to fix or is the motor ruined. she feels so bad about it i hope it can be fixed
thank you
Take the motor off and flip it over so that the oil can drain out of the holes. You might need to shake the snot out of it every once in a while but if you leave it upside down for a day or two it should drain out. It will however smoke like the dickens when you get the rascal back on and running again until all of the oil is out.

Billy
Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 AM

LindaR

It's a ruffler, I have one just about like it with the knob on the top. Mine came with a Ruby treadle that I just got, this ruffler doesn't have the option of ever sixth or twelveth stitch like the newer ones do, it only rufflers every stitch. Mine is the bottom clamp type that was used on many of the White machines.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Irishrose, it wasn't me who ended up with that machine! I guess somebody else will be happy today (smile).
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
This reminds me of the quote from "Moscow on the Hudson": "Everybody I meet is from somewhere else." I'm from Iowa. I came down here to visit a friend; hated Lexington, but met this guy. . .I went back to Iowa, but we all know how this ends--I've been here for 33 years. I have gotten used to Lexington, though!!
Where in Arkansas are you? I really thought that's where I wanted to live--the Ozarks!! I'm probably the only person in KY who doesn't follow the Cats, but my husband, son and daughter make up for it.

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Miz Johnny I am from Clay City, KY! The Air Force brought my husband here 16 yrs ago and we stayed. My mom passed away 7 yrs ago and we don't make it back to KY much anymore, but we are still big Wildcat fans!!!!!

I'm about 10 miles outside of Little Rock. Arkansas and KY are such HUGE rivals when it comes to sports that we find it amusing to say we are Cat fans! Although I don't plan on ever claiming to be a "Hog", I do have respect for where I am currently residing :). Our kids were in 3rd and 6th grade when we moved here and they pretty much grew up here so that is why we stayed. Its close enough to visit, but far enough that most don't invade in on us...lol. My family is also from Indiana, right across the Ohio from Louisville. That is where we usually visit now. I have a couple sisters in KY still (lots of distant relatives) but it is easier for them to come to IN where most of the relatives live.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM

Thank you Thank you Thank you