Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Oh and it's sausage and lentil soup with sun dried tomato and biscuits for supper here[/quote]

Pork Chops, fried potatoes and carrots here. Kathie
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Hey all... I just came across a beautiful STRAIGHT leg Singer Treadle, looks to be in good shape from the photo's. Center drawer and all four side drawers are there. The machine is a non decal'd 27 or 127. Has the access trapazoid port on the front of the head. Thrift store want's $100 firm for it. I so want to get it. But my husband will shoot me if I do. He's losing his main job at the end of this month. I need to find a part time job, to afford my VSM habit! Anyways, if anyone is in the south florida area, and wants this machine... message me.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM

The plastic is so light that it unwinds differently (beacuse of FYI: The metal bobbins don't work n the plastic machines either. Don't ask how I know that.[/quote]

I use both plastic and metal bobbins in all of my machines, as well as new and old vintage bobbins and have no problems. I guess I am just very lucky. Kathie
Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Oh heay..

Roast pork loin, salad greens from the garden, with cranberry and garlic vinegrette dressing (homemade). A nice glass of Mendacino Valley Shiraz and a good mystery. Warm-from-the-oven homemade brownies and vanilla ice cream (store bought, sigh). Decaf Creme Brulee kona coffee, (hear the grinder?).... tops off the night. And my porch light is on... so drop on by! Salut!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The plastic is so light that it unwinds differently (beacuse of FYI: The metal bobbins don't work n the plastic machines either. Don't ask how I know that.
Just to add to this conversation. I've had great luck in finding ebay auctions for very little... that have boxes of bobbins/parts.

On the 66 class metal bobbins here's what I have personally noticed. I have my grandmother's 66-6 with all her bits, including the original bobbins. I also have several batches of 66 class bobbins that I've either bought or found at garage sales. I've found that if I hold the bobbin horizontally and look at the edges of the flanges... the older bobbins are slightly rounded towards the thread channel. The newer (like ones from Joanne's) 66 metal bobbins at first glance look the same. But if you hold them up the same way and look... they are straight or straighter flanges. My 66-6 is super finicky. "Billie" (my grandmother's use name) only likes the old bobbins and will not sew a clean stitch without the old ones. Now maybe this is just me? Maybe not. Anyone else notice the tiny difference in flange edges?

P.S. I've heard over and over again: use plastic bobbins in plastic machine/plastic bobbin cases. Use metal bobbins in all metal machines/metal bobbin cases. You don't want metal and plastic constantly rubbing each other. The hard metal will wear the surface of the plastic. So don't use a metal bobbin in a plastic bobbin race, or you'll eventually wear out the race and have to replace it. Etc...
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Help! I am trying to identify this sewing machine. I saw this cabinet (and machine)last week at Good Will for $14. I went back today to get the cabinet for my 401, and after cleaning off the machine and plugging it in (it runs and sounds pretty good), I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it. I had originally planned to toss it back to Good Will, but now it looks kind of cute with its part yellow color - but I can't find anything about it. I know its a Riccar, serial number JA3 724667, says Made in Japan on it. I can't see any model number and I have no idea if it's worth keeping or if I should throw it back.

I just really wanted the cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222567[/ATTACH]

The tension is on the front - and it's 14 1/2 long
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222568[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222561.jpe   attachment-222562.jpe  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The plastic is so light that it unwinds differently (beacuse of FYI: The metal bobbins don't work n the plastic machines either. Don't ask how I know that.
Just to add to this conversation. I've had great luck in finding ebay auctions for very little... that have boxes of bobbins/parts.
I was just looking on Ebay, but I am having a hard time telling from some of the pictures what the bobbins are?? Do I just guess, because a few of them look like what I need? The one auction, in particular, has a bunch of different kinds of bobbins - so there should be a few in there that I can use? Right??? :D

D~
Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Oh heay..

Roast pork loin, salad greens from the garden, with cranberry and garlic vinegrette dressing (homemade). A nice glass of Mendacino Valley Shiraz and a good mystery. Warm-from-the-oven homemade brownies and vanilla ice cream (store bought, sigh). Decaf Creme Brulee kona coffee, (hear the grinder?).... tops off the night. And my porch light is on... so drop on by! Salut!
I am on my way, I am hungry to!
I agree with you on the bobbins my 66 only likes the metal vintage bobbins. I have tried the 66 class Singer from Walmart and they don't like them. I have collected about 50 or 60 of the vintage 66 bobbins thru ebay etc. I now have plenty but if need more they are easy to find because a lot of 66 machines have been produced thru the years.
Glenn
Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Oh heay..

I am on my way, I am hungry to!
I agree with you on the bobbins my 66 only likes the metal vintage bobbins. I have tried the 66 class Singer from Walmart and they don't like them. I have collected about 50 or 60 of the vintage 66 bobbins thru ebay etc. I now have plenty but if need more they are easy to find because a lot of 66 machines have been produced thru the years.
Glenn
I tried the 66 bobbins from both Wal-Mart and JoAnn's and neither worked. I had some ordered for me from Brewer and they work fine.

Marie
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Help! I am trying to identify this sewing machine. I saw this cabinet (and machine)last week at Good Will for $14. I went back today to get the cabinet for my 401, and after cleaning off the machine and plugging it in (it runs and sounds pretty good), I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it. I had originally planned to toss it back to Good Will, but now it looks kind of cute with its part yellow color - but I can't find anything about it. I know its a Riccar, serial number JA3 724667, says Made in Japan on it. I can't see any model number and I have no idea if it's worth keeping or if I should throw it back.

Looks like a singer 15 clone. I have a Riccar that was made in the late 70-80's and I love it. Mine is not a 15 clone but that is my go to machine for electric FMQ