Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannysewer
I found this Singer Darning & Embroidery Foot at the thrift store I work in this past week. I haven't tried it out yet, been working too much. Hope to be able to next few days. No date on it, but small print says "for all slant needle zig-zag sewing machines". Cool, huh? bobbie
Sew Classic carries those. I ordered one. I tried it out on the 401G treadle and was very unimpressed. BUT maybe it was me not being coordinated enough to treadle and FM at the same time. Then i tried it on the 403 with a motor. It is not bad. I think I like using the clone with the metal foot better though. BUT the best thing I used was the thing that looks like a bent up paper clip. I felt like I had a better idea what I was doing. I'm wondering if I would like the more expensive foot that hops with a spring better.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by grannysewer
I found this Singer Darning & Embroidery Foot at the thrift store I work in this past week. I haven't tried it out yet, been working too much. Hope to be able to next few days. No date on it, but small print says "for all slant needle zig-zag sewing machines". Cool, huh? bobbie
Sew Classic carries those. I ordered one. I tried it out on the 401G treadle and was very unimpressed. BUT maybe it was me not being coordinated enough to treadle and FM at the same time. Then i tried it on the 403 with a motor. It is not bad. I think I like using the clone with the metal foot better though. BUT the best thing I used was the thing that looks like a bent up paper clip. I felt like I had a better idea what I was doing. I'm wondering if I would like the more expensive foot that hops with a spring better.
I have a slant needle 500 that I'm going to try. Thats the only zz machine I have, except my plastic ones. And they have a foot with the spring like you mentioned.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

OK. Time for a RANT. OH DEAR...
Why is there no gallery on this Quilt Board for pictures of PLASTIC machines if they are so cool???
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Why is there no gallery on this Quilt Board for pictures of PLASTIC machines if they are so cool???
Which plastic machines are you talking about? I don't know of any cool, plastic machines:>
Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Which plastic machines are you talking about? I don't know of any cool, plastic machines:>
:wink:
Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey kids the Boss is in!! I decided to drop by and see how things are going and see what new machines have been rescued lately. As you all know I am very ill and have a super rare autoimmune system disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris. There are only 300 or so cases of it in the States so I am one of a very few. It can not be cured only the symptoms can be tamed and I will die because of it it just depends when God calls me up. But for now I am going to the doctors tomorrow and we are starting the treatments and hopefully by the end of the year I will be under control and I can get back to doing what I love working on sewing machines!!!

Any how I am going to meander through a few pages and see what all you guys found and I will be back tomorrow to let everyone know what is going on.

Billy
Billy -

Great to see you! Keep your attitude good and take a day at a time. The docs are smart but they don't know everything!

Darren
Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by Candace
:wink:
I would not be too hard on plastic machines. I have more than one, and my actual go-to machine is a plastic $97 singer from Walmart. I sewed my kids through school, took in sewing for the public to pay for their extracurricular activities, and did nearly all of that on plastic. I am pretty sure I have seen some plastics in some of the pics of some sewing rooms here too, and if asked, I will raise my hand up that I indeed have, and use, the plastic. Vintage is good, and I endorse it strongly, if that is an option for sewing, but not to the point that I will bash plastic.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2615085447.html
FW alert in Indiana...
Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 AM

I've been CL browsing on my lazy Saturday. Red is my favorite, but I'm no where near Ft. Worth for this freebie. Hope it goes to a good home!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/zip/2615138592.html

I keep looking at this one. Is it really green? Manufactured that way? Why leave the stitch length selector plate black? It just seems odd to me.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2534751959.html

I keep going back to this one too and wondering about it. Reiko? 1950s Japanese treadle? Looks sleek and modern. I like it.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/hsh/2545784520.html

Happy hunting everyone!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Ooo, more internet goodies! This is just one object they have online, but a search for sewing pulls up some interesting machines.

http://www.dhub.org/object/250294,sewing