Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
does anyone know what this is... :roll: antique walking foot...I bought 13 attachments for the back clamp singer and this was in it...lots of attachments I probably will never get into. thats the stitches the treadle is doing after got it all cleaned up and running. She is a trooper.
Linda, get those attachments out and play with them! You'll be surprised at the ones you will use!! I absolutely love my ruffler and use it lots!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Well....I'm back from a couple of days in Eastern Oregon/Idaho.
Not much luck on the junkin'...to my mind, they wanted outrageous prices for the few machines I found, and I didn't find much in the way of notions at all...with one exception. I found a combination thread box, pincushion, scissor holder in the shape of a bird. (The scissors form the bird's bill...it's pretty cute)

I did find a really pretty Damascus treadle, in good shape and nice cabinet...they wanted more than my budget would allow tho, so it's still in Idaho. :( It was HARD to leave that machine behind!!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 PM

Sorry you didnt find anything :( But hope you had fun anyway!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Thanks! We had a good time Abby!

Oh...and that Martha Washington cabinet with the White did NOT come home with me....too many issues... :(

The one machine that DID come home with me was the 15-91 that my brother in law found for me at a yard sale for $5... rusty...handwheel turns, needle doesn't move...probably a parts machine. ~sigh~
Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Here's another 1917 (approx) National Sewing Machine Company machine badged for a retailer. It's a little rough, but what a beauty!! It looks just like my Western Electric badged National.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8132648
Very unusual looking machine!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM

My 301 has a pretty, very well balanced stitch. It is easier to remove than the Necchi or the Elna, but still good and solid. I do have the knob turned almost to nine on the top, so I don't have much wiggle room. That may change when I put on the new spring. If I overfill the bobbin when FMQ, the thread will jump out of the slot. Solution - don't overfill the bobbin.

I always thought the Elna had the most perfect, strongest, hardest to remove to stitch I'd ever seen. The Necchi may be even more so. I really try make any errors with either of them!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Here's another 1917 (approx) National Sewing Machine Company machine badged for a retailer. It's a little rough, but what a beauty!! It looks just like my Western Electric badged National.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8132648
Very unusual looking machine!
I was unable to find the original post. Sorry.

I have a machine with this same foot pedal. I wanted to rewire it, but it was a real pain to get to the connections, so I retaped the bad spot. And then the outlet that the motor and pedal plug into was also inaccessable! I would have had to break it, so left it alone. It's the cord from the motor to the outlet that is in bad shape with multiple taping. I have plugged it in and it runs sewww quietly!! The machines are totally different (mine and the pictured one.) This is a beauty!!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
So, do you ever really get a perfect tension on the old machines? I have a black 301 that I LUV. I use it but the tension has always been a "tad" off. There is always a tiny bit showing either top or bottom. And my top tension will be awful if I do anything other than between 0-1

I have a tan 301 that i'm not so in love with. Doesn't sound the same as the black one and I just can't bond with it yet. I can NOT get the tension even remotely good on this one. It's "ok" but not right. I'm tempted to pop it in the cabinet and use it just to be using it and hoping it works out some on it's own. I'm seriously thiking of sending it to Billy in a few months for a makeover. I love red. Maybe I would LUV it in red :)

Now I know why I would always hear my mom bit*hing about the tension :oops:
If you can assemble a quilt you can do this: I would take the whole thing apart - yup take it apart. No kids. No pets. No DH. 'o/ Keep a muffin pan around and put the parts in it in order as you take it off. Use the tension diagram in the manual. A lot of the old manuals have instructions to take the tension apart and put it back together. (The first time I did one I was very nervous - I shook the whole time.) Just go slow - look at it carefully as you go. Clean EVERYTHING real good and put it back together according to the diagram. I amaze myself every time I do one. I don't even need the diagram anymore. I just routinely clean the tension when I get an old machine. Dried up oil can cause drag and rust or burrs can break threads - dust bunnies need to come out all makes the tension messed.. Hey if nothing else you can run some dental floss through there and pick up some of it. I just like the feel of it when I've taken it apart and cleaned it. Keep another machine right next to you so you can look at it as you reassemble. Here is an expanded diagram. It is the only one I know of with the picture of the pin. It is from sewclassic's catalog - I hope Jenny doesn't mind. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Tension-...572-125417.htm I posted it a couple pages back as well. If it doesn't go back together right take it apart and do it again. Pay attention to how that spring goes when you take it apart and in the diagram and in the other machine you have next to you. You can do this. You have made quilts. You have cooked. Go slow and don't worry it has been done before. If it is any help the service manual has about the same instructions as the owner's manual. They must have meant for the owner to take that tension apart on occasion. I do have one that doesn't work. It needs some adjustment on the presser lever. I haven't done that - the machine isn't turning and needs a total spa treatment some time.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well I wasn't out junkin today, but on our way to the store - I wanted to go a long back road - we spotted a 'Barn Sale' sign so pulled in to see what they had.

They had tons of stuff, but I had to ask if there were any old sewing machines. This lady said yes, she had her Mother's portable machine in the house along with it's table. I immediately thought FW and asked to see the machine! Anyway, to make a long story short this is what I got for $125 - allotted on February 15, 1939, a FW with her card like table, her attachments, and the power cord/foot pedal. We have to replace the power cord. I was, and still am, really excited and guilty feeling because I didn't tell her what she had! I just gave her the $125, got the machine and table, thanked her, and left! I was not even trying to find another FW!

Nancy

I posted her picture in the photo shop too! The machine behind the FW is my Singer 15-88 treadle.
Wow girl!! How lucky are you!!! Don't feel guilty. She set a price and you paid it. I'm sure she's happy with getting her full price.
Janice, she had no idea what she had. That little FW was her Mother's machine. The lady has another Singer she bought for $50, she says about 30 years ago. She didn't show it to me, but she thought that machine was worth way more than the FW -- I do feel guilty because I didn't tell her the opposite was true!

Nancy
Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 AM

Thank you Miriam for this info. I haven't taken my 15-91 apart yet. However, this info should come in handy so I am posting in 'My Pages' for future reference. I am also particularly thankful that you are sewww resourceful. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: