Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Bennett you did a wonderful job cleaning this machine, what a difference.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
I have a PM into Sew Classic about the cords and foot pedal for a 403. Is there another source I can check, besides Billy? I don't want to bother him with something like this during his busy Christmas week.
Ebay or haven't you tried that already?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Bennett, You did a beautiful job cleaning up your Tiffany.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Wow. This person really thinks he has a treasure. He had originally put this machine on CL as a for trade...so I figured what the heck, I contacted him and he told me he wanted something "electronic". I'm thinking...o.k. what, like a nose hair trimmer? :> Come to find out, he thinks he's got something that's really special if he thinks someone will trade a computer for it. LOL.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bar/2762814534.html
Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Wow. This person really thinks he has a treasure. He had originally put this machine on CL as a for trade...so I figured what the heck, I contacted him and he told me he wanted something "electronic". I'm thinking...o.k. what, like a nose hair trimmer? :> Come to find out, he thinks he's got something that's really special if he thinks someone will trade a computer for it. LOL.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bar/2762814534.html
Candace, I needed a good laugh. I love it!!! Maybe he can team up with the Amish guy that bought all the plastic sewing machines with no foot pedals...
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Thanks everybody! It is really nice to be able to share these machines with people who appreciate them.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Today, I had some difficultly with the tension on the bottom while quilting with my Daivs. Sometimes it would make very nice stitches and then a section with loops would occur.

After some trial and error, fixing tension, and practice runs on sample fabrics, I think I know what is the problem.
The last time this happened to me, I had spray basted the fabrics. This time trying to get this project done in time for Christmas, I spray basted. Man, is that stuff nasty on the lungs. And yes, I had the windows and door wide open. I still smell that stuff. It will be the last time that I use that nasty stuff.

Well, it's not the tension. I made a sample patch of the fabrics and batting minus the spray basting, and that works well with beautiful stitches. The problem is the tension on the thread from the spray basting. These vintage machines are too sensitive for handling the spray basting. I think they know what is good for us, and it ain't that crappy spray.

So, if one has used the spray baste and has problems with their stitching, consider the cause from the spray baste.

So, Now I'm starting over by ripping out the section quilted, separating the layers of fabric and batting, washing them all by hand, and then basting by hand. I doubt this quilt will get done in time for Christmas...oh, well.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I think they know what is good for us, and it ain't that crappy spray.
:> hehe thanks for the laugh.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Thanks everybody! It is really nice to be able to share these machines with people who appreciate them.
You did a great job, it is so pretty. Shinning like a Queen. :>)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 PM

I'm way behind (as usual), so if this has been answered, please forgive me. I had one of these, and could NEVER get the plate off. None of the other folks I asked could tell me how to take it off, either, so if you figure it out, please let me know!! I finally sold the machine as it was in a treadle to someone who wanted it for a decoration. I needed it gone, and she wanted it for show.
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
Does anyone have one of these machines that can tell me if the remaining chrome plate simply slides off, or if there is a small "pin" that holds it in place. The center plate that surrounds the feed dogs has a little metal pin, so it has to be lifted out of place. I don't want to force it either way, just looks like it has a pin "head" showing on the lower right section.

Thanks,

Texas Jan