Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by SerendipiD
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The plastic is so light that it unwinds differently (beacuse of FYI: The metal bobbins don't work n the plastic machines either. Don't ask how I know that.
Just to add to this conversation. I've had great luck in finding ebay auctions for very little... that have boxes of bobbins/parts.
I was just looking on Ebay, but I am having a hard time telling from some of the pictures what the bobbins are?? Do I just guess, because a few of them look like what I need? The one auction, in particular, has a bunch of different kinds of bobbins - so there should be a few in there that I can use? Right??? :D

D~
Well... first identify which class of bobbins you need, and about from what era. Then look for auctions of misc. parts that have bobbins included. My Singer 27 and the 127 both are VS machines and take 'long' bobbins. But I noticed the other day that the bobbin is slightly different (I bought both machines with shuttles and one original bobbin in the shuttle). My old 66-6 takes an older class 66 round bobbin, the 15-91 and my Japanese made 15 both take class 15 bobbins - but so does my 15-30 treadle. But the treadle bobbins are heavier, and solid... while the newer 15's take the bobbins with the holes around the circumference. (Hope that makes sense!). Then I watch for those auctions that show me something that helps me 'date' and 'style' the bobbins. Like say... the old green singer boxes versus the older white plain 'rotary' boxes that the attachments came in. But to be honest, since I have one or two machine of each class, I can pick up almost any older set of bobbins and they'll work for me in something. lol.

What machines do you have? Maybe we can help 'find' links for good bets, to give you an idea of what we look for.

Another thought... you can also post a 'wanted' ad for bobbins of the type/age you need. Gotta be someone on here (probably me!) with more old bobbins then they really need. !!!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM

Well, I finally took the time to look at the Singer 27 I picked up at an auction. Actually a friend picked it up for me. If I had been there I would have passed, but...
The bobbin shuttle is not for this machine....too long. It has tons of attachments probably not for this machine either. Patent dates on the plate say Dec 5 1882; Sept 22 1885; July 19 1887; Aug 21 1888; Jan 13, 1891.
Here are a couple pics:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222678.jpe   attachment-222680.jpe   attachment-222681.jpe  
Old 07-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Welcome! It is a good feeling when you get those old gals working no matter what kind of sordid past they might have had.[/quote]

Thanks Miriam,

I was born & raised in Indianapolis spent 10 days there in May. My Dh & I are both Purdue graduates & moved to Texas in 78 after a bitter cold winter, certainly never regretted the move, even with the heat we are currently having.
I'm still trying to figure out where she came from and a good name for her.

Have to get her in a place I can see her & see what needs to be done, then read all Billy's info on restoration!

Hopefully I can get her cleaned up & using b4 Christmas!

Debs & Hemi
Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Nancy, I'll have to take some photos soon...have had the builder and his tradies working here and they like to be a pit* so no chance of doing anything like photos while that's going on.

Bronwyn ;-)
What is "they like to be a pit* so no chance of doing anything like photos while that's going on."? Would you explain?

Thanks,
Lauren[/quote]

:) Bronwyn meant that the builders were being a PITA (Pain in the A$$) and so she couldn't get photos... ;)
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Wow, thats a puzzle box, good find there. I love that cabinet, looks like one of mine.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM

[quote=Charlee]
Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Nancy, I'll have to take some photos soon...have had the builder and his tradies working here and they like to be a pit* so no chance of doing anything like photos while that's going on.

Bronwyn ;-)
What is "they like to be a pit* so no chance of doing anything
Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Yes! I love zucchini bread. It's too hot here to make bread today, that bread sounds yummy.
Technically, it's too hot here too but it's kinda rainy and having a garage sale on Sat so making baked goods to also sell. I use spices in my zucchini bread so just be aware when you take a bite. :)
Spicy zucchini bread sounds yummy! I love spicy foods.
What spices do you put in the bread. Is your recipe in the recipe section of QB?
Recipe is not posted there but I use cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves. if you want it, I will post it.
That sounds good! I will throw those spices in the next time I make zucchini bread. At first, I thought of ground red chile peppers with jalapeno or something like that when you said spicy.
Hi, I have a recipe for Zucchini Bread that got "honorable mention" at our county fair several years ago. I have to find it. Has lots of spice, honey, nuts. almost like a carrot cake. Have to wait for cooler weather... I don't bake in the summer
I would love to try that recipe!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Works for me!!
[/quote]

LOL!!! I love it!! That works for me too!

I have been known to feed my children ice cream for breakfast.
That works for me too!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debs
Welcome! It is a good feeling when you get those old gals working no matter what kind of sordid past they might have had.
Thanks Miriam,

I was born & raised in Indianapolis spent 10 days there in May. My Dh & I are both Purdue graduates & moved to Texas in 78 after a bitter cold winter, certainly never regretted the move, even with the heat we are currently having.
I'm still trying to figure out where she came from and a good name for her.

Have to get her in a place I can see her & see what needs to be done, then read all Billy's info on restoration!

Hopefully I can get her cleaned up & using b4 Christmas!

Debs & Hemi[/quote]

you could name her Heidi
Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/art/2480235391.html
I know it isn't vintage but is it a good deal?