Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
I need to find out where to get that GoJo!!!! Desperately!
It is GOjo, with a G. Auto parts stores carry it. It's very common. Probably even your Walmart has it in the automotive section.

Lovely machines... you've got your work cut out for you. ;o)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM

I need to find out where to get that SoJo!!!! Desperately!

You need to get GOJO. Your machines are nice have fun with them. Most Auto stores carry it. It's a hand cleaner for getting grease and grim off. Get the one without the grit in it.

Opps Sewbizgirl beat me to it. :mrgreen:
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I need to find out where to get that SoJo!!!! Desperately!

You need to get GOJO. Your machines are nice have fun with them. Most Auto stores carry it. It's a hand cleaner for getting grease and grim off. Get the one without the grit in it.

Opps Sewbizgirl beat me to it. :mrgreen:
You're right. I forgot to mention that there is a gritty Gojo that contains pumice. You do NOT want to use that one-- regular Gojo only.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM

GOJO Geeesh.. Sorry.... OK , thank you both for the info...on the auto parts store to get it. I was in one this morn. Well.. if the 2 feet of snow doesn't come, I will go tomorrow..Todays 6 inches seems to be slowing down.

I feel SO stupid I keep thinking the other spelling. THANK YOU!!
OK...see the not on the NO Gritty so regular GOJO! thanks again
Can I do the whole machine with it? ( excluding the wood)
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Hi from Chicago...this is billed as the "storm of the century" otherwise known as " snowmaggeddon, snocano, snowzilla, snowtorious B.I.G., etc. Took me 2 hours and 5 minutes to drive home from work! Just a good time to mess with my vintage machines and do some sewing. Supposed to get 18 - 24 inches, Yuk!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Probably the wrong thing to wish for...

but wish I could have a snow day so I could stay home & play with my machines. :)

Oh well...not very likely in the central part of California.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM

too funny.. in shorts. I shoveled a bit ago. It's 12 and a wee bit windy. I did some thrift stores a couple days ago. I want to make a tie wall hanging. I have only have 4 ties so far. Wednesday is half price sale..buttt not in the snow expected. Have to wait til next week. GOOD luck with your findssssss :) get a couple[/quote]

Yesterday and Sunday it was in the 80s and I was barefoot wearing tank top and shorts, woke up this morning to 25f and extremely windy. Yuck! Tonight its supposed to 16f and maybe snowing. I'm tired of our very bizarre weather here in central Texas.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM

We lost power at my house for 3 hours last night. Poor DD had 2 large dogs trying to bed down with her. She finally had to make them go to their own beds, her Dh had trouble getting into bed. lol

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Good thing we have treadles with the storms coming, huh? Power or not, we can quilt!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi from Chicago...this is billed as the "storm of the century" otherwise known as " snowmaggeddon, snocano, snowzilla, snowtorious B.I.G., etc. Took me 2 hours and 5 minutes to drive home from work! Just a good time to mess with my vintage machines and do some sewing. Supposed to get 18 - 24 inches, Yuk!
I've heard snowpocalypse.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

GOJO Geeesh.. Sorry.... OK , thank you both for the info...on the auto parts store to get it. I was in one this morn. Well.. if the 2 feet of snow doesn't come, I will go tomorrow..Todays 6 inches seems to be slowing down.

I feel SO stupid I keep thinking the other spelling. THANK YOU!!
OK...see the not on the NO Gritty so regular GOJO! thanks again
Can I do the whole machine with it? ( excluding the wood)
Don't feel stupid... I don't see why you couldn't use it on the whole machine, tho metal cleaner might clean up your silver colored parts better, don't know... I did use my silver polish to get a bunch of crud off the face and rear plates before cleaning the black heads with Gojo. That silver polish made the faceplates really shine!

I have been to Needlebar and scruntinized pictures of the lotus decals vs. the brown lotus and truly they are nearly identical. Both have the same reddish-brown flowers, but on the regular lotus the smaller flowers are two colors of green, and on the brown lotus those green flowers have tiny red tips. So by that criteria mine is a brown lotus. It's got the red tipped smaller flowers. Sheesh... if that's the only dif, it ain't much! :roll: Anyway, nice to know what I've got.

I've also been messing with the treadle workings on that same machine's cabinet and think I've isolated the clunking sound to the end of the pitman rod, where it connects to the treadle. There seems to be too much movement in it, and I'm not sure how to fix that. It's a DR cabinet (the one Billy has been looking for...) and you can't get into the compartment behind that pitman rod. It's work to pump that treadle and I know it's not supposed to be.