Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Good thing we have treadles with the storms coming, huh? Power or not, we can quilt!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Donna Mare
I have a question... I just purchased 4 singers recently and now I need to clean the wood and just wash the machines etc.... Some of them have a funky odor, probably from being in a basement. Anyone have a clue on what to use to wash them from head to toe with? Next will be working with each one to get it looking good but the bath is more important right now. I usually do a light bleach solution on things but kinda afraid to do that on these.. ????
I have a similar question on cleaning the wood cabinets, frames, boxes of the machines. What's best to use, what not. I think that some issues with the wood are more problematic than others.

A. Mold or mildew - needs something to kill it or it will keep on growing over time. Stuf stored in basements or attics for long times seem to get this. I agree... usually means using bleach. I'd be afraid to use bleach on varnished wood too. Don't know what I'd use in that situation. Any ideas, anyone?

B. Termites - Don't take it inside. Quickly remove the machine head and destroy the cabinet, remove it from your premises before the termites get into the wood of your house/furnishings.

C. Cigarertte/pipe smoke damage: Nicotine and tar are sticky substances that build up in the pores of wood. Usually need to clean with something that can penetrate the porous wood, and dissolve the tar. Regular cleaners just remove the grime and surface of it. Haven't found something that works yet... anyone know of something that would work - short of stripping it?
how about a baking soda and water bath...just wipe on and quick rinse and wipe dry ? Maybe ..maybe not
Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Leota
6 - 8 inches of snow here in at my house... white stuff still falling

Billy, If I find a hand crank sewing machine... can I use it without fear of breaking it???? I know it sounds dumb, but I don't like stuff I can't use...such as quilts are to be used not stored in a closet...
Use it like you stole it!!! I use all but a few of my really collectible machines.

Billy
If Billy taught me anything it was to use my machines and use them right. I have a 66 made in 1908 and use everyday and I do not think I can break it unless I throw it off a two story building. :lol: Glenn
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Vintagemotif, Couldn't agree more !!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM

If Billy taught me anything it was to use my machines and use them right. I have a 66 made in 1908 and use everyday and I do not think I can break it unless I throw it off a two story building. :lol: Glenn[/quote]

Whatever it lands on will not fare too well !!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Here in Saugus, just outside of Boston, we have tons and tons of snow. It just never stops !! Picnic table on the deck has at least 3 feet of snow on it now and we have snow falling now with a biggie following this one. Mercy please !!!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Billy[/quote]

Yeah, we are supposed to get 18 to 20". Yikes![/quote]

Southwestern Ontario, 3:00 pm. Nothing yet, but just had a look at the satelite/radar online. The storm is about 3 times the size of Texas, and it's just crossing the lakes now. Should be a fun 24 or so hours.
Teresa
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

I just bought myself an uhmm errr..kinda uhmm..well.. you tell me.... Pic is enclosed It's a Singer. I wonder if my dog will still love me tonite?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
I just bought myself an uhmm errr..kinda uhmm..well.. you tell me.... Pic is enclosed It's a Singer. I wonder if my dog will still love me tonite?
Try this again...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121726.jpe  
Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Dangit, within two minutes of posting my remark about treadling when the power goes out, our power went out!! We are too far south for the snowstorms (usually...) but we had a huge torential downpour and wind. Power just came back on. While it was off I fired up a Coleman lantern and started playing around with my GOJO hand cleaner on my 66 Lotus. I *thought* I had already gotten it clean, but the GOJO brought off tons more black stuff. My decals really brightened up, the gold parts anyway. The flowers of my lotuses continued to look pretty brown after cleaning, tho the decals are glowing more now than previously. Do you think I could possibly have a brown Lotus? Pictures below, the first without flash is how it really looks. The flash picture really makes the flowers look red.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121728.jpe   attachment-121729.jpe