Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I have joined the vintage machine club! My first vintage is my new treadle. Just got her today. I know she needs at least a belt and a bit of metal near the needleplate.
Very nice Domestic! Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM

I have joined the vintage machine club! My first vintage is my new treadle. Just got her today. I know she needs at least a belt and a bit of metal near the needleplate.
Incredible decals!!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
I just bought a 99- from a local thrift store. Great shape and sew like a champ. However, does anyone know where I can get a case for it. Also what is the difference between a 99k and a 99-? Ser # AM528571 1956/57 year.
The only difference between a 99 and 99k is where they are made. They are the exacty same machine. The 99k was made at the Kilbowie factory in Clydebank, Scotland.

Nancy
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I have a Singer 306k that can be turned into a treadle. It used cams (mine came with 28 of them) It says you have to use a special needle for the machine but mine was retimed to use the reg 15x1 needles. It sews a beautiful stitch and we got it at a local thrift shop in a nice cabinet for $7.50. Such a bargain. Good luck on the hunt for one you can turn into a treadle.
Did you get it retimed? I would prefer a machine that only uses 15x1 needles. That is such a great deal! Thanks, my machine is out there.
Yes, I got some thread caught up in the bobbin area somehow and it seized up so my little repairman fixed that and retimed it to use regular needles. He told me he could and I said "go for it". Glad I did.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM

To all your FW people. Now that I have been given a free FW and cleaned it up and oil and greased although it did not need much work. I have been using it to piece and find it not the most powerful machine I have used. I sews really well though. It maybe because I only use treadles and I am used to the power they have. If I had to make a choice at this time I would not really want one. I do like the idea that it is light and can take it in the travel trailer when camping. I will give it a chance and try to use it often. Maybe I will learn to use it properly. Glenn
Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
To all your FW people. Now that I have been given a free FW .... It maybe because I only use treadles and I am used to the power they have.... Glenn
Cute! Glenn. The treadle power! :)
Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh here is a great post that someone just made and they are words to live by...........:mrgreen:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99558-1.htm

Billy
Jeeze, now I'm scared to plug in my 201! Our house was wired by bozos and I would have fried, for sure...
That is why I find machines with external motors, belt drive. I love tossing the motors and plopping the machine into the treadle cabinet.
Happy to read that you are enjoying your treadle. These vintage machines are fun to sew with.
Billy, my field in the Army was electronics so I understand and I wish I had a nickle for everytime I got thrown across the the lab. :lol: Glenn
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Glenn;

I've used my new to me FW and although I love the weight, I cannot get Betsy to sew a nice stitch. Just once out of probably 50 times did she sew nicely. Usually, mine skips stitches or makes extra long one or I get mess underneath and forget about the reverse. That cuts the thread like magic. I must say I am disappointed in it. Am going to buy the FW book to see if I can't get it working nicely. I travel for my job so am hoping that Betsy will be my travel companion.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Just did some more research and I think it's a King Class, made between 1900-1920.
http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html They were copies of the Singer Model 27/127

This is the only one that has decals like mine.. but I could be wrong.
Gorgeous! Great decals. Welcome to the Club!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I have a Singer 306k that can be turned into a treadle. It used cams (mine came with 28 of them) It says you have to use a special needle for the machine but mine was retimed to use the reg 15x1 needles.
I wonder if we can retime the old gals ourselves, (if necessary) to use the 15x1 needles? There are some treadles out there with needles that are next to impossible to find. They don't make em any more...