Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM

[quote=Weedwoman][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I have a Singer 306k

Yes, I got some thread caught up in the bobbin area somehow and it seized up so my little repairman fixed that and retimed it to use regular needles. He told me he could and I said "go for it". Glad I did.
Thanks for this information!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Glenn
To all your FW people. Now that I have been given a free FW .... It maybe because I only use treadles and I am used to the power they have.... Glenn
Glenn, You could always sell it, then purchase a 301. I read that there a many who prefer the 301s over the FW. The bed looks larger on the 301s too.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Glenn;

I've used my new to me FW and although I love the weight, I cannot get Betsy to sew a nice stitch. Just once out of probably 50 times did she sew nicely. Usually, mine skips stitches or makes extra long one or I get mess underneath and forget about the reverse. That cuts the thread like magic. I must say I am disappointed in it. Am going to buy the FW book to see if I can't get it working nicely. I travel for my job so am hoping that Betsy will be my travel companion.
I do not have the skipping stitches it just does not have the power I think it should have. I am not pleased with the FW so far. Glenn
Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM

To all your FW people. Now that I have been given a free FW .... It maybe because I only use treadles and I am used to the power they have.... Glenn
Glenn, You could always sell it, then purchase a 301. I read that there a many who prefer the 301s over the FW. The bed looks larger on the 301s too.
I will keep it for the camper but my Davis, redeye and lotus( there is nothing like sewing with a 66-1 Singer treadle). I have to keep the FW since a dear friend gave to me so I will give it a chance. It does not have much power oh it will piece and such but that is about all. It is light and travels well but I am not impressed. I have yet to see what people see in them. Glenn
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I have a Singer 306k that can be turned into a treadle. It used cams (mine came with 28 of them) It says you have to use a special needle for the machine but mine was retimed to use the reg 15x1 needles.
I wonder if we can retime the old gals ourselves, (if necessary) to use the 15x1 needles? There are some treadles out there with needles that are next to impossible to find. They don't make em any more...
You may still be able to get 206 X 1 needles. Although they are being phased out, some places may still have them in stock. when I get a machine that uses an odd size needle, I go ahead and buy at least 100 of them so that I make sure I have plenty.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM

I will keep it for the camper but my Davis, redeye and lotus( there is nothing like sewing with a 66-1 Singer treadle). I have to keep the FW since a dear friend gave to me so I will give it a chance. It does not have much power oh it will piece and such but that is about all. It is light and travels well but I am not impressed. I have yet to see what people see in them. Glenn
Glenn, have you taken the machine apart and really deep cleaned her? I took a cleaning/maintenance FW class last week and there were a couple machines that did not perform well. Both of them had lint/thread stuck in all kinds of places, plus they had dried up gunk - probably old grease - in the gears. We took the wheel off, cleaned any thread that had gotten caught in there, oiled and put it back on. Really oiled all the oil holes and moving parts and re-greased the gears. You will need to take off the face plate and the bottom cover. Also, remove the top cover and really get in there and clean clean clean! You will need to look all around the bobbin hook race with a flashlight - one of the machines had a 5 -6 inch piece of thread wrapped around where it could not be seen except with a flashlight and really hunting - I bet, you'll fix the slow moving problem. My three FW's all sew really nicely and move quite fast. It is amazing where thread gets caught on these little machines -- they will still run -- but, not happily until cleaned, oiled, greased! The FW is actually a pretty amazing machine for being so little. Our instructor had one she had been sewing tons of clothes with since she was 9 years old -- she is probably in her 60's now!

Nancy
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Feather Weights aren't speed demons... at full throttle they aren't very fast.... They are perfect for beginner/young sewers.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 PM

We had one 301 in the class I took. The 301 is way bigger than the FW. The 301 uses the same bobbins and bobbin case as the FW, it is just a full sized light weight machine. The lady that brought the 301 had a suitcase it fit into -- looks just like a old time type suit case.

Nancy
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

To all your FW people. Now that I have been given a free FW and cleaned it up and oil and greased although it did not need much work. I have been using it to piece and find it not the most powerful machine I have used. I sews really well though. It maybe because I only use treadles and I am used to the power they have. If I had to make a choice at this time I would not really want one. I do like the idea that it is light and can take it in the travel trailer when camping. I will give it a chance and try to use it often. Maybe I will learn to use it properly. Glenn
I wasn't impressed either, when I finally saw one in person. I thought I had to have one, mostly from the hype and hysteria. I'm over it now. :roll:

I am happy for those who love their featherweights. I'd rather find a 99 or a 301 for a lightweight portable, myself.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM

[quote=kwendt

Tomilu... this is a new one to me. There is one here in my area up for sale... I bypassed it. Hum.... do you know any pros/cons of it versus say... a 301 or a 15-91 or a 201 as far as piecing and FMQ goes? Should I go back and look at it? Thanks!

Sorry, I really don't. I'd make sure it isn't too fast. I recently sold an old Singer industrial because it was just too fast for FMQ.