Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 PM

I've just been given a collection of old wooden reels of Sylko (cotton) sewing thread, of course the thread is old and brittle and not good for sewing but I'll use them to display with my old machines!!

Does anyone else collect other sewing items? Some years ago I was given an old, hand embroidered pin cushion that came with some 'handmade' pins, then I have an antique stitching sampler which takes pride of place in my home and has done for many years. It's in a lovely, understated walnut frame which cost a fortune because the sampler wasn't a regular frame size. The lady who gave it to me was then (30 yrs ago) in her 80's and it was stitched by her great, grandmother as a 6yo in 1844. It's the grab-and-run item in my fire plan which hopefully never has to be implemented.

Bronwyn

:thumbup:
Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Lately, I have been finding a few pictures of people sewing. One is pretty special. My sister found it at a Goodwill - it is water color of an oriental woman sewing. I just love it to pieces. I have an old Norman Rockwell of a man sewing. I have an old Singer ad. I have a Dr Seuss sewing Sue's clothes. I love old sewing books too.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewnserge
Yes it is a Model 15, and the lever is a back tack. Do you have any suggestion for how to lower the feed dogs?? I was hoping I could use it for FMQ, because it has such a long arm...10-1/4"!
If it's a Singer 15, with reverse... like a 15-91. Theres a round large screw type thing under the bed of the machine, more towards the left side. You have to tilt the machine up out of it's cabinet to get to it. As you loosen/tighten, the feed dogs will drop or rise. They're totally adjustable for your fabric feeding needs. The 15-91's are MONSTERS (that's GOOD!) at FMQ.

Just today, I had my fancy Janome 4000 and my old 15-91 both FMQing on 'test' fabric sandwiches. I wanted to see how the two machines 'felt' and handled. Both did the work... but my Janome is all plastic and light... although it's set into my Horn cabinet - it still has a tendancy to shift/walk when anything bigger than a wall hanging is quilted on it.

BUT that 15-91... man that sucker is built like a tank. As in Sherman! I think I could quilt a double california king quilt in that thing, and the heavy weight wouldn't trouble it at all. Being cast iron and like 40lbs..... really DOES make a difference. I was astounded. It's easy to use for FMQ, heavy, I had no issues.

I'm just starting out with the old machines... so there are others on this board that can tell you more. I love my 15. (I have a 301 too)...
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Does anyone else collect other sewing items? Some years ago I was given an old, hand embroidered pin cushion that came with some 'handmade' pins, then I have an antique stitching sampler which takes pride of place in my home and has done for many years. It's in a lovely, understated walnut frame which cost a fortune because the sampler wasn't a regular frame size. The lady who gave it to me was then (30 yrs ago) in her 80's and it was stitched by her great, grandmother as a 6yo in 1844. It's the grab-and-run item in my fire plan which hopefully never has to be implemented. Bronwyn :thumbup:
Wow... that sounds beautiful and very special - that sampler....

I collect wood spools (by default!) and old Needlebooks. Another "I fell into it" thing. Oh.... and old metal 'sewing birds' clamps, and bird pin cushions, and.....lol. Heck, if I like something...and it's cheap... I get it. 'Nuff said!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 PM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by sewnserge
Hi Nancy -
Your machine appears to have the Tiffany decals which were common on the Model 115's. Singer started making Model 15's in 1895 and continued to make them until 1957!
Anyway, there should be thumb screw under the bed when you tip the machine up that will drop the feed dogs for FM quilting if in fact the very early ones had that capability! I have a Model 15-88 treadle that does drop its feed dogs with that thumb screw on the under side of the bed right next to the bobbin hook race. Nancy
Ah good. I was wondering if the 15-88 treadles had the drop feed screw like the -91's. You know, I took one of my 15-91's into a sew shop, and ended up showing them how to drop the dogs... lol. <grin> Thanks to this board and this thread... I knew! <struts her stuff!> lol.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Wow... that sounds beautiful and very special - that sampler....

I collect wood spools (by default!) and old Needlebooks. Another "I fell into it" thing. Oh.... and old metal 'sewing birds' clamps, and bird pin cushions, and.....lol. Heck, if I like something...and it's cheap... I get it. 'Nuff said![/quote]

Thanks...the sampler is 'very' special even though I'm not in any way related to the girl who stitched it all those years ago. In fact I rescued it from the bin...couldn't imagine tossing something like that!! Still I suppose it had been in that family for 130+ years at the time, wasn't framed, crushed, dusty and not something of value in their eyes. I couldn't get it out of there quick enough!!

Bronwyn
:D
Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

I am liking the newlyweds also!! Mr & Mrs Two Spools, what a cute couple they are!

Well I have just pulled out of a crisis today, my laptop decided to take a dump on me and I have never made a back up DVD yet. It only took from 6am until 3pm this afternoon to get the darn thing booted up. I did 4 system restores on the thing and liked to never found a date that it would work on. But it all happened after I installed my firewall updates. Needless to say I was really scared about loosing my research and all of my records about vintage sewing machines.

But I am good now I just hope I will not have to fight this thing again!

Billy
Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Billy Like my computer wizz son says to me " did you learn anything? Back it up!!"
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well I have just pulled out of a crisis today, my laptop decided to take a dump on me and I have never made a back up DVD yet. It only took from 6am until 3pm this afternoon to get the darn thing booted up. I did 4 system restores on the thing and liked to never found a date that it would work on. But it all happened after I installed my firewall updates. Needless to say I was really scared about loosing my research and all of my records about vintage sewing machines.
Billy
Billy.... dude... "here's your sign"..... !

GO get an external hard drive.... a FreeAgent for example. You can get TBs for like a 100 bucks. Then usb it in and backup your stuff. Do it now...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Farmstitcher, I have a reg. 306 machine and it takes the 206X13 needle which you can still find. This machine will also use a double needle. I am going to list some of the features of my 306 and maybe it will be the same as what you are looking at.
Full vision bobbin case,calibrated tension for accurate adjustment,reversible feed,calibrated stitch regulator,smooth seamless throat plates,positive feed for handling all types of fabrics,oneway needle clamp makes it almost impossible to place needle in clamp incorrectly,takes the fashion discs for making decorative stitches. Hope this helps you in your decision. I like mine but don't know if I want to treadle it also have another one DH is going to put a hand crank on it. Here's a picture of mine.

Thanks so much Trish, yours is very nice. Do you like it for FMQ too? I appreciate your answer.

Forgot to mention....a lady gave me a set of 24 cams for this model so that is a plus!
Farmstitcher, I haven't learned to do FMQ yet. To get the 24 cams is a plus I have gotten mine from E Bay but that runs into extra money because of the shipping and then you don't get the whole set at one time. But, I can use them on my 319 as well.
Did you get it or are you still thinking about it?
Trish, I won't get to see it until next week now when the lady gets back home. Her Aunt had to have surgery in MO and she won't be home for awhile. I really am thinking about getting it. If I do, I will post a pic of it. I think it's the same color as yours too.