Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1635 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 635 1135 1535 1585 1625 1634 1635 1636 1645 1685 1735 ... LastLast
Results 40,851 to 40,875 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #40851
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Yes organ needles are nice. Cheap too.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  2. #40852
    Super Member JudyTheSewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    It even has the key to the cabinet! Yes it is back clamps.
    It was made in 1924. DH is shocked. He asked how much I was going to sell it for... I said SELL IT???? He likes it too.
    Wow Miriam! Jackpot! I love those decals - if I ever pick up another 66 it will be with that Lotus pattern. They look to be in very excellent condition too. I'm so glad to read that you will be keeping it. I'm so happy for you - congratulations on your great machine.

  3. #40853
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Yes the decals are in wonderful shape. I oiled the machine last night - I'll oil/grease the irons tonight maybe. It is a lot of work to treadle.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  4. #40854
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Miriam,
    That IS a beautiful machine. Next time I'm over there I'd love to see it.

    Joe

  5. #40855
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,
    That IS a beautiful machine. Next time I'm over there I'd love to see it.

    Joe
    Joe, don't even remotely think about coming here until at least August. Every time you think about a visit to Indiana, it snows. I'M SICK OF SNOW.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  6. #40856
    Member biancasdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  1.49 MB This is the machine I got yesterday, Im going to try and get it cleaned today but Im having trouble taking the Bobbin case, I follow the instructions but it just wont come out.

  7. #40857
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by biancasdalton View Post
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  1.49 MB This is the machine I got yesterday, Im going to try and get it cleaned today but Im having trouble taking the Bobbin case, I follow the instructions but it just wont come out.
    Don't know if this will help, great tutorial!
    http://color-my-world-with-warmth.bl...k-on-66-1.html
    "A change of feeling is a change of destiny."
    -Neville-

  8. #40858
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862

  9. #40859
    Member biancasdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thank you guys!! Very helpful, I got it out finally. I was trying to get it out for a long time last night I got so frustrated and after reading the tutorial I got it out in no time.

  10. #40860
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Miriam, are you sure you don't want to sell that Lotus 66? That is one of the purrrrtiest 66's with the lotus decal I have seen! Lucky you! Congratulations! I need to move to your part of the country, but I don't like snow either!

    Bianca, nice crinkle 66 or is it a 99, which is basically a 3/4 size 66? They sometimes call that machine a Godzilla! Anyway, Singer did limited productions on Model 66, 99, 128, and even some 221 with a crinkle finish. You won't have to worry about messing up the decals when you use that machine, and it will be a work horse for sure! Congratulations! Oh, and the bobbin sitting next to your machine looks like a class 15 bobbin, which won't work on a 66 or 99. You need class 66 bobbins.

    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-26-2013 at 05:50 AM.

  11. #40861
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    Hi, I just found this site looking for info on my Minnesota L which is in a lovely box cabinet. I bought it several years ago but husband is today cleaning it up for use. It is lovely, works well. Think it was made in 1912. So nice to find a site like this. I have another old treadle, a White and almost perfect condition. Plus a variety of Singers, including my work horse, 401A.

  12. #40862
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by marylehman View Post
    Hi, I just found this site looking for info on my Minnesota L which is in a lovely box cabinet. I bought it several years ago but husband is today cleaning it up for use. It is lovely, works well. Think it was made in 1912. So nice to find a site like this. I have another old treadle, a White and almost perfect condition. Plus a variety of Singers, including my work horse, 401A.
    I don't have any information on that machine , but welcome! and I am sure someone will chime in with your info soon.

    Steve

  13. #40863
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Minnesota was probably made by Domestic - Ismmacs might have info on it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  14. #40864
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,550
    Blog Entries
    1
    Minnesota machines were also made By Davis for Sears. Mr Sears was originally from Minnesota and thus the name he gave his machines for sale in the Sears Store and Cat. Got this from Ismacs
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  15. #40865
    Member Dave X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1
    I’ve a problem with the needle thread getting stuck in the bobbin apparatus and locking things up. The problem started quite suddenly. After initial investigation, I found some black “lint” all around the bobbin apparatus as well as about a foot and a half of thread wrapped around the bobbin shaft. Thrilled to have fixed the “obvious” problem, I reassembled the machine only to find the same problem still existed. Any help….anyone??

  16. #40866
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave X View Post
    I’ve a problem with the needle thread getting stuck in the bobbin apparatus and locking things up. The problem started quite suddenly. After initial investigation, I found some black “lint” all around the bobbin apparatus as well as about a foot and a half of thread wrapped around the bobbin shaft. Thrilled to have fixed the “obvious” problem, I reassembled the machine only to find the same problem still existed. Any help….anyone??
    Hi Dave. Welcome to QB. What kind of machine? Here are some common questions/causes. Are the thread and needle compatible? Is there a burr on the hook? Is the needle new and inserted the correct direction? Is it threaded correctly? Is the tension (upper and lower) in need of cleaning? Is the correct bobbin inserted in the machine correctly? It sounds like it may need to be cleaned really well to me. Check the needle, the threading, and tension first and then start cleaning stuff is what I would recommend.
    ~G~

  17. #40867
    Member biancasdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    BoJangles its a 66-18 and yes I realized the lady gave me the wrong bobbins to go wit it which leads me to believe she was lying when she said she has used it before lol I think she may have never used this machine, The screws are so tights I cant get them off even after some oil. It is a good thing I dont have to worry about the decals but the words in it are almost completely faded

  18. #40868
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Here's the link to Sears Sewing Machines on Ismac's and written by Charles Law:
    http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

    According to this Goodrich, Davis, Domestic, White, and Standard all made Minnesota's. The Min. L was made by Standard and is a "Class N" or Norwood. There's a handy dandy little book sold on ebay for $10 where I got this info from: "The Handbook of Antique Sewing Machines" by Charles Law. $10 well spent and I'm not the seller.

    Jon

    Quote Originally Posted by marylehman View Post
    Hi, I just found this site looking for info on my Minnesota L which is in a lovely box cabinet. I bought it several years ago but husband is today cleaning it up for use. It is lovely, works well. Think it was made in 1912. So nice to find a site like this. I have another old treadle, a White and almost perfect condition. Plus a variety of Singers, including my work horse, 401A.

  19. #40869
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,550
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great info Jon, Thank you
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  20. #40870
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by marylehman View Post
    Hi, I just found this site looking for info on my Minnesota L ...
    Here is a manual on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370496596554?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649#ht_2107wt_1378

  21. #40871
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Here's the link to Sears Sewing Machines on Ismac's and written by Charles Law:
    http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

    According to this Goodrich, Davis, Domestic, White, and Standard all made Minnesota's. The Min. L was made by Standard and is a "Class N" or Norwood. There's a handy dandy little book sold on ebay for $10 where I got this info from: "The Handbook of Antique Sewing Machines" by Charles Law. $10 well spent and I'm not the seller.

    Jon
    Thanks Jon, according to ISMACS my Minnesota H was made by Standard, but there is also a Minnesota H made by Davis. Sometimes the manufacturers of these old machines can get a little confusing, especially when they used the same name for the machine!

    Nancy

  22. #40872
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Here is a pic of my little 3/4 Minnesota:
    Name:  004.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  124.7 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  23. #40873
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    528
    Singer VS2

    This one should clean up well but it's going to be a pain finding the front slide plate!
    Attached Images Attached Images


  24. #40874
    Senior Member Mom3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    suburb of Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    Singer VS2

    This one should clean up well but it's going to be a pain finding the front slide plate!
    Dan,

    I've got a twin to this machine - also missing the front slide plate. Do you think we could find two slide plates?

  25. #40875
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    528
    Well, the plates from the 27 fit, but are not the right shape...it may take us years

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.