Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 AM

Found so much. She's a Model 15-90, made in 1941.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get the tension correct now. I took it apart, cleaned it, looked for any stray thread that had gotten under the bobbin area, oiled it, and even took the top plate off and checked the upper tension mechanism. I feel so sorry for my neighbor since she doesn't sew, and she was using this dang piece of s.... to teach her daughter how to sew. And this was a machine that she picked up for free from a friend's mom that had been a seamstress. Makes me wonder if the seamstress ever used this machine. I wouldn't, but then I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova. Eeks, I want to Touch and Throw this machine; not sew with it. Sorry for the rant.

So, for all of those that learned to sew on one of these s..... pieces of machinery, please treat yourself to a Featherweight or 201- those are excellent machines. Ok, I'm done for the night.
Hmmmmmmmmmm - my "newer" Singer that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 is one of those plastic ones with the Model 774 on the front, but it doesn't say "Touch and Sew". It was frozen almost solid but hubby went to work on it and now it sews like a dream. The pattern selector dial is stiff to move but it actually sews a lovely stitch. I use it occasionally to piece when I'm having a tension problem with my old standby and don't feel like messing with it at the moment. Anyone know anything about the 774?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Billy I am sorry to here about all the damage and loss of AC, not to mention your daughters flooding house. I know it is rough and we have had some really bad weather. I know you want to get everything done but please take it slow and don't over do. We want to see you around a long time in this VSMS. After all my clean up my wife and I are camping and fishing as we type and will be for the rest of the week. Of course we have a 26 ft trailer with all the goodies falt screen, the internet and full bath. I quess you can call this camping. :lol: Well I am off to do some night fishing. Just wanted to tell you hello and we are thinking of you and your family. Got to go my wife said the internet is off limits for the rest of the trip.(right!!) Type at you later brother, Glenn
Glenn I want to go camping with you! My DH and I use to do a lot of your type of camping, but when we built our house and had to live in a 24' trailer for 7 months we decided we wanted to sell the trailer!

Nancy
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by debbiewi
I just took a picture of my cleaned up machine. when I got it, I thought most of the decals were gone, it was so black so I am thrilled with the way she looks now. In the picture the badge is showing up more gold but in person it is a shiny copper color
Wow Debbie! Tell us all 'how' you got all the black off without damaging those decals? Your redeye looks fantastic!

Nancy
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by debbiewi
I was at an estate sale today, there was a 99 (I think) with a bentwood case. the bottom was falling apart the top was falling apart, the machine was not in the best of shape and there were attatcments which were all rusted, including the bobbins. the lady wanted $30 and would not take any less so I left it
You did good to leave it there -- $30 is too much for the shape it is in.

Nancy
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by buslady
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Randa, you are right, your problem is different than mine. Why not post a photo of your problem and maybe someone can help you. Sometimes it might take a day or two. :-D
randa, does it look like the finger is out of the notch? if it is, you must get it back in, otherwise the thing will spin and it shouldnt. i wonder if the throat plate is stuck somehow. it should come off, maybe it needs persuaded. LOL i hope u get it going. DH took mine apart to clean and now i cant get it to pick up the bobbin thread. need to find time to check her out good.
Yes the finger was out of the notch. I took off one of the little square things to move the finger back in place and it works just fine now! Miriam was such a big help. I knew I'd have to remove something...there was no way it could go back in. Now I'd like to know how on earth it came out.
good to hear. i was about 10 pgs behind so didnt realize u already had the answer.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 AM

Vintage, I like how you put the bindings on. Will have to try that would be soooo much faster than by hand. I would never try this before because I was afraid it would have one big pucker at the end. Oh! and your quilt is pretty too!
The scout will really love it I'm sure.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy I enjoyed seeing your new Kenmore last night. I was very impressed with your patience while working on the FW.
Maybe one night you can show us all how to clean and oil our machines as you are the best. Kathie
Kathie, you know how to clean and oil those machines! I love getting the old girls up and running! That FW had really been neglected/abused! Getting all that thread out of there and seeing it sew perfect is very rewarding!

Billy we would love to have you come to 'Girls Night Out,' but we'd have to rename it 'Girls/Guys Night Out! We do have a lot of fun with all the different machines and different projects -- and FOOD! But, LOL, we don't at this point allow guys -- we girls get pretty crazy sometimes! Wow, it would be a hoot if you came, though!

Nancy
Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by lyndajean
This belonged to my great aunt and it was given to me when she passed away over 20yrs ago. Back then I had no interest in sewing. I just took her out, and thanks to some help from Billy she is up and running!

The copyright on the manual is 1957....I dont see a year on the machine itself
Did you figure out how to date the machine? Go to the Singer site to date it or just give us the serial number and one of us can date your machine. There won't be a year on the machine, but the serial number will tell you the information.

Nancy
Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 AM

wow, i finally caught up, got behind, by missing one stinkin day, and it took me two days to catch up. i can only get on at night after work, then using phone, sooooo sooooo slow. LOL love this shop, tho rest of family & friends think i am obsessed. prob is, i cant even argue the point with them. i would love to meet some people near me that share my obsession with quilting and vintage sm's.