Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2010, 12:53 PM

I just bought a Singer TM-10L-E, serial #AF209294, yesterday. What can you tell me about it? It came with the cabinet but was missing the presser foot (not a problem). But when we were taking it out of the car I noticed the upper tension control is missing. I paid $50. Hope it wasn't too much.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
I just bought a Singer TM-10L-E, serial #AF209294, yesterday. What can you tell me about it? It came with the cabinet but was missing the presser foot (not a problem). But when we were taking it out of the car I noticed the upper tension control is missing. I paid $50. Hope it wasn't too much.
Maggie that is a Model 15 made April 12, 1939. Can you post a picture?

Billy could probably help you with the tension dial.

Nancy
Old 10-31-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
After searching yesterday ALL afternoon on line & asking Billy & others on the board what they thought of a machine that I had found on Craigslist. I bought it today & have been cleaning it up in my kitchen. It is a Singer 15-125 and the feed does drop for FMQ. I was told by several people that a 15-125 is the sister machine to the 15-91 just in a "light green dress". I had been looking for the 15-91 when I spotted this machine. The young man that sold it to me for $60 had recently bought a house where the furniture & odds & ends were left in it. He didn't know anything about the machine. Neither do I, but I am going to have fun learning. I tried to test the sewing and I think the bobbin tension is off. I hope that I can fix that by reading the manual. Yes, the original manual and a few attachments were in a drawer! Yippee! Although, I have no idea what the attachments are...ha. I do need to find out what type of darning/fmq foot and walking foot that I should buy to fit this particular machine. Thanks to Billy & everyone that gave me their advise. Pictures are below. Isn't she pretty?! Debbie
She is very pretty. I too did not know that you could get a 15 in anything but black!

Nancy
Old 10-31-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

15-88 was treadle; 15-89 HC; 15-90 electric w/external motor; 15-91 electric w/potted motor.
Wow, I want to find a 15-89!

Nancy
Nancy, see vintagemotif's post above--find a 15-90, take off the motor and add a HC.

The 15-125 is beautiful. (In a beautiful cabinet, too!!) As long as I've been collecting, I've never run across one. If I did, it would promptly become a hand crank.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Nancy
After I got it in the house and could get a closer look the tension control is there. What's missing is a screw for the stitch length control. Not a problem there. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow. Don't have time right now.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

The 15-125 is beautiful. (In a beautiful cabinet, too!!) As long as I've been collecting, I've never run across one. If I did, it would promptly become a hand crank.
Just so happens I carry the reproduction handcranks right now and have the last allotment for this year from the manufacturer. I have a listing in the Classifieds for them if you are interested. Here is the link:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73496-1.htm

Billy
Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Nancy
After I got it in the house and could get a closer look the tension control is there. What's missing is a screw for the stitch length control. Not a problem there. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow. Don't have time right now.
I have the screw for it I believe find out exactly what you need and PM me and I will see for sure!

Billy
Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 PM

15-88 was treadle; 15-89 HC; 15-90 electric w/external motor; 15-91 electric w/potted motor.
Wow, I want to find a 15-89!

Nancy
Nancy, see vintagemotif's post above--find a 15-90, take off the motor and add a HC.

The 15-90 would need a spoked handwheel to convert it to a hand crank and do something with the bobbin winder as it won't work with the spoked wheel or you'd need to drill a notch in the hand wheel to accept the "finger" on the hand crank. A 15-88 would work great as it is a treadle machine already. I treadle a 15-90 with no modifications to the machine beyond removing the motor.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:21 PM

But Miz Johnny wouldn't you have to change the wheel to a spoked wheel? I have never seen a spoked wheel in mint green -- wouldn't you have to put a black wheel on that beautiful mint green machine?

Nancy
Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM

But Miz Johnny wouldn't you have to change the wheel to a spoked wheel? I have never seen a spoked wheel in mint green -- wouldn't you have to put a black wheel on that beautiful mint green machine?

Nancy
Yes, you have to have a spoked wheel, but reproductions are readily available. If you want it to match, you would have to paint the wheel. It doesn't bother me, so I leave my wheels black, but many of my friends paint the wheels to match the machines.