Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

The 15-90 would need a spoked handwheel to convert it to a hand crank and do something with the bobbin winder as it won't work with the spoked wheel or you'd need to drill a notch in the hand wheel to accept the "finger" on the hand crank. A 15-88 would work great as it is a treadle machine already. I treadle a 15-90 with no modifications to the machine beyond removing the motor.
I've never seen a 15-125 "up close and personal", so don't know if the winder could be modified to fit. I sure would like to find one so I could find out!! LOL! The handwheels are easy to come by; I have 6 or 8 in my basement right now. :-)
Old 10-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Banned

I think the bobbin winder would work because the few change overs I have done from solid to spoke wheels I have never had the bobbin winder issues.

Billy
Old 10-31-2010, 07:16 PM

Debbie B,

Have fun with your beautiful machine! I love the color.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I treadle a 15-90 with no modifications to the machine beyond removing the motor.
I did that with my 201-3. I took the motor off since I could not use the motor here in the States and dropped it into a treadle. My 15-90, I took the spoke wheel from the Japanese 15 RAF and the button winder. At the time I changed the wheels, I didn't know that I could leave the wheel on or it would work. I thought the weight of the wheel was needed to make the treadle work. After reading someone's blog, I discovered that I don't need to change the wheel. Also, I like the Japanese modification on the bobbin winders for the 15s; they work better. So, that is why I changed bobbin winders.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM

If this 15-125 has internal motor like the 15-91, then how does one make it into a treadle? Looks to me it has internal motor since the pots/tubes are in front for the where the lubricant for the motor goes. I thought machines with internal motors could not be converted to treadle.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
If this 15-125 has internal motor like the 15-91, then how does one make it into a treadle? Looks to me it has internal motor since the pots/tubes are in front for the where the lubricant for the motor goes. I thought machines with internal motors could not be converted to treadle.
I think you can find a hand wheel for the longer shaft or take the end of the shaft off and replace it with a shorter version. All it is is a grub screw holding it on.

Billy
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I think you can find a hand wheel for the longer shaft or take the end of the shaft off and replace it with a shorter version. All it is is a grub screw holding it on.

Billy
So, 15-91 can be made into treadles?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
I will have to see of I can find the schematic for the machine but it shows the tail of the shaft comes off like the rest of the machines.

Billy

So, 15-91 can be made into treadles?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 PM

I could have used my Japanese 15 RAF as a treadle, but I didn't have it cleaned at the time. And now, I'm happy with the 15-90.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

I think I might be wrong about shortening the shaft of the 15-91 I am going to have to buy one so I can take it apart and see if I can convert it. According to the schematic I can take the shaft end off and then find one from a 27,66,15 and put it on the shaft. But I am not sure of the shaft diameter yet. So lets hold off on the swap to a treadle until I have some facts in front of me.

Billy