Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

    Old 11-01-2010, 12:22 PM
      #6381  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    Originally Posted by Debbie B
    I love that Rocketeer...beautiful. I think I have the third one down from the top. It's my husband's great grandmother's. The cabinet & the treadle fell apart when they took it up from his mom's basement after his mom died several years ago. It's in my guest room. From the serial I looked up on the Singer site it says that it was made in 1894. The machine was used a lot and the decals are worn in some areas, but it's still pretty. I've never know what to do with it. I put a picture below. Your machines are just as gorgeous as I thought that they would be...hope you post the pictures of the other ones soon. Thanks.
    Debbie
    That is a nice 27 and I have always loved that decal pattern(Tiffany Gingerbread)! It is one you do not see on the 27's that much.

    The machine you looking at is a Singer 9W that was made after Issac Singer purchased Wheeler and Wilson in 1905. The first batch of these were made from the left over parts they had when the D9 was in production and this one here was an actual Singer casting that a few dimensions were changed so that they could fit the Singer cabinets. I have my eyes on a drawing room cabinet at a antique store here in town and when the seller comes off of the price a bit more I am going to get it and put this machine into it. This is one of the nicest 9W's I have seen and it deserves the best cabinet I can find!

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 PM
      #6382  
    Super Member
     
    Miz Johnny's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Posts: 1,222
    Default

    Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I think I might be wrong about shortening the shaft of the 15-91 I am going to have to buy one so I can take it apart and see if I can convert it. According to the schematic I can take the shaft end off and then find one from a 27,66,15 and put it on the shaft. But I am not sure of the shaft diameter yet. So lets hold off on the swap to a treadle until I have some facts in front of me.

    Billy
    I have seen a potted 201 converted. All that was done is remove the motor and motor housing and replace the bobbin winder with a Japanese class 15 donor. I vaguely remember hearing that the potted 201 machines were made 2 different ways, so some could have a motorectomy and work, and some could not. I just cant remember why!!
    Miz Johnny is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
      #6383  
    Super Member
     
    vintagemotif's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Posts: 4,972
    Default

    Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I think I might be wrong about shortening the shaft of the 15-91 I am going to have to buy one so I can take it apart and see if I can convert it. According to the schematic I can take the shaft end off and then find one from a 27,66,15 and put it on the shaft. But I am not sure of the shaft diameter yet. So lets hold off on the swap to a treadle until I have some facts in front of me.

    Billy
    I have seen a potted 201 converted. All that was done is remove the motor and motor housing and replace the bobbin winder with a Japanese class 15 donor. I vaguely remember hearing that the potted 201 machines were made 2 different ways, so some could have a motorectomy and work, and some could not. I just cant remember why!!
    Okay, I think I'm starting to understand. Somehow the internal motor must be removed to make the machine function as a treadle. Is that what is done? ...because I still don't understand how a 15-91 or a 201-2, the pot-belly motor machines, can be converted to treadle use.
    vintagemotif is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
      #6384  
    Super Member
     
    Debbie B's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Huber Heights, Ohio
    Posts: 2,351
    Default

    I know this is probably completely wrong to do, but was wondering if you can take a treadle and make it electric? Not that I'm planning to do that, but all the talk of taking an electric to treadle...I just wondered.
    Debbie B is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
      #6385  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: Round Rock,Texas
    Posts: 6,135
    Default

    Originally Posted by Debbie B
    I know this is probably completely wrong to do, but was wondering if you can take a treadle and make it electric? Not that I'm planning to do that, but all the talk of taking an electric to treadle...I just wondered.
    That very thing was done frequently.
    purplefiend is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
      #6386  
    Junior Member
     
    ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: out in the heat
    Posts: 162
    Default

    Ya and now we take the electric off and put on the Treadle, And sometimes we hold the elecric motor on the machine and leave it there but turn it back to the Treadle, that way you can use the motor if you want to. :wink: :wink: But usually want to use the Treadle for the machine.
    ProLongarmARTQUILTER is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
      #6387  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    My signature says it all........ :-D

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
      #6388  
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Saugus, MA
    Posts: 659
    Default

    Hi Billy, I need your help. (don't we all). Need a thread guide for my 201, the one just below the needle clamp. If I am reading the manual right there are two thread guides on this model. Could that be right ? Do you have any in your stock. If so I would like to order one, pretty please.
    Pins n' Ndls is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
      #6389  
    Junior Member
     
    ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: out in the heat
    Posts: 162
    Default

    FW in Great Britain Have a different electric current so you have to have a converter box to transform it to US current. I bought one from London that's how I know.
    ProLongarmARTQUILTER is offline  
    Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
      #6390  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    Originally Posted by Howard
    Hi Billy, I need your help. (don't we all). Need a thread guide for my 201, the one just below the needle clamp. If I am reading the manual right there are two thread guides on this model. Could that be right ? Do you have any in your stock. If so I would like to order one, pretty please.
    I know the one your talking about and I dont have it. I wish I had some of them because when you take the needle clamp off it comes out and easily lost. Also it is no fun putting it back in.

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter