Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1137 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 137 637 1037 1087 1127 1136 1137 1138 1147 1187 1237 1637 ... LastLast
Results 28,401 to 28,425 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #28401
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    My DD's mission for this morning was to go look and perhaps buy a Sphinx. Success. She is a beautiful girl under all of that old hardened oil. We are so happy. She comes into the house tonight for cleaning and oiling (currently in the garage in hiding. DH does not understand our passion). Her serial number is K311054, born in 1902 we think. We will be calling Singer on Monday to get actual birth date.
    Congatulations, you have a very pretty Sphinx allotted on June 17, 1902, a model 27 - note the low bobbin winder placement, if the bobbin winder had been higher by the hand wheel it would be a 127!

    I love the cabinet too, it looks like it is in great shape!
    Nancy

  2. #28402
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Treadle belt is pretty easy and instructions sometimes come with belt. Here's what I'd do if I didn't have the 3n1 treadle pliers:
    ---Get proper size belt in natural leather (stay away from red) from SM supply, ebay or.....
    ---wrap belt around treadle pulley and SM pulley and pull tight and cut where ends meet (don't worry about cutting short the belt will stretch)
    ---examine wire staple that comes with belt, get drill bit slightly bigger than staple diameter and drill hole in each end of belt half the width of staple (so holes are width of staple when belt is put together)
    ---Put staple thru one end of belt and crimp tight on other end leave alone.
    ---Put belt on machine with uncrimped staple end facing up and run treadle for a few minutes
    ---Belt will stretch and cut off belt at hole at uncrimped end and drill another hole half width of staple
    ---might have to do this 2-3 times till belt is broken in
    ---crimp second end when belt seems stable and belt doesn't slip but not overly tight
    ---imagine Youtube and google would also have info on this.
    Good Luck, it sort of a fun process
    Jon
    ---
    Or do what a lot of us are doing these days - sew the belts together with dental floss instead of using the metal staple thingy. I think Purplefiend, Sharon, started the dental floss fix!

    Nancy

  3. #28403
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    Hey beanie, its not a wheel. Its a device for winding spun yarn into hanks. I don't know what they are called but the hand version is a niddy-noddy. Niddy noddy, niddy noddy, two heads, one body. How cool to see one.
    I never heard of a 'niddy noddy,' but it is so fun to be educated on these things! Thanks for sharing!

    Nancy

  4. #28404
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,501
    Blog Entries
    1
    Miriiam and Nancy don't get me wrong about the using 15x1 in the 319W I only tried it. I only use 206x13 in my 319W. That is what the manual says and 206x13 is what I use. I still have not had any problems with skipping stitches but I did have a little problem with tension at first, but not now
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  5. #28405
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    Belts
    About 20 years ago I bought “new” leathers for my 104 and 114 machines and the leather was old I guess. They kept breaking, and I hate the replacing the clips. I went to my air condition/ plumbing supply and bought regular fan belts from them. I have never a problem since.
    I called all over town and found one long and thin enough to fit my 29-4 but I had to cut it to get it on the machine. That was not easy to clip together
    Great idea of cutting a v-belt and clipping back together, never thought of it. I like the round leather belts for some things and it is handy to keep a small roll of leather around and make a custom sized belt when needed, like when your forced to use them stretchy O ring SM belts. I like the looks of it and it works well.
    Jon

  6. #28406
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Anyone here have a Singer 500 that was missing it top? I know this is a common complaint. How hard is it to reattach a broken top? Can the hinges be purchased or??

  7. #28407
    Senior Member Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North TX
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Well I just found that out the hard way... Bummer. I LOVE the table it came in so I think we will wire it back up. I got it out, looked at the hand crank and figured out it wasn't going to work. Then I got a call to sell a machine so I took care of that - time to finish the bread sticks for DGDs - we do family gathering today. WHOA..... Fast breaking NEWS! just got a call..... I think DD might be in labor!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope so - this one would be a week early instead of 2 weeks late like the others. She might go a while, quit and start up..... keeping my fingers crossed that she just plain old has this one right soon.
    Well, congrats! (I hope)

    Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving. I've got the turkey chili in the slow cooker, a toasty fire, and a nice mug of eggnog--perfect for finally getting a chance to catch up here.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

  8. #28408
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    My DD's mission for this morning was to go look and perhaps buy a Sphinx. Success. She is a beautiful girl under all of that old hardened oil. We are so happy. She comes into the house tonight for cleaning and oiling (currently in the garage in hiding. DH does not understand our passion). Her serial number is K311054, born in 1902 we think. We will be calling Singer on Monday to get actual birth date.
    What a beauty and the cabinet is in great shape too.

    Texas Jan

  9. #28409
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish View Post
    Jan, You did a lovely job on that decal....all that work payed off!
    Jan, that decal is just AWESOME!!! You should go into business doing them....can't find any anywhere.

  10. #28410
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    My DD's mission for this morning was to go look and perhaps buy a Sphinx. Success. She is a beautiful girl under all of that old hardened oil. We are so happy. She comes into the house tonight for cleaning and oiling (currently in the garage in hiding. DH does not understand our passion). Her serial number is K311054, born in 1902 we think. We will be calling Singer on Monday to get actual birth date.
    Lovely Sphinx treadle!! I know you're going to enjoy her.

  11. #28411
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Anyone here have a Singer 500 that was missing it top? I know this is a common complaint. How hard is it to reattach a broken top? Can the hinges be purchased or??
    There are clips in under where they fasten to the top but when those top hinges break you are out a door - the machine can still be used anyway - they don't look so good and the nose door won't stay on but it sews fine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  12. #28412
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Well I just found that out the hard way... Bummer. I LOVE the table it came in so I think we will wire it back up. I got it out, looked at the hand crank and figured out it wasn't going to work. Then I got a call to sell a machine so I took care of that - time to finish the bread sticks for DGDs - we do family gathering today. WHOA..... Fast breaking NEWS! just got a call..... I think DD might be in labor!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope so - this one would be a week early instead of 2 weeks late like the others. She might go a while, quit and start up..... keeping my fingers crossed that she just plain old has this one right soon.
    Hope all is well, and that baby comes soon for your DD!!! Blessings!!

  13. #28413
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Hope all is well, and that baby comes soon for your DD!!! Blessings!!
    She is very tired. She says it comes and goes so I don't guess it will be tonight. She has had some very long labors with the other babies then all of a sudden.... I'm hoping this one will go better. Her BFF is a midwife but won't do her at home so she comes and stays and tries to make sure she gets to the hospital before the baby comes, well, the last one came in the drive way - in the van...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  14. #28414
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/2722143609.html another candidate for the chamber of horrors - they must have beheaded her.... I wonder where they dumped her???
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  15. #28415
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    Yes, it looks like it does; not very pretty, she needs a good spa LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter View Post
    According to Singer records your machine is a 15K made in Jan.-June 1908. Does your machine have the tension assembly on the face plate?
    Judy
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

  16. #28416
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/2722143609.html another candidate for the chamber of horrors - they must have beheaded her.... I wonder where they dumped her???
    That is just wrong, any way you look at it !!! Makes me feel sick.

    Texas Jan

  17. #28417
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble View Post
    Yes, it looks like it does; not very pretty, she needs a good spa LOL
    I need a spa, all that machine needs is a few drops of oil and she'll be sewing like new. Seriously, great machine and you'd have to try awful hard to kill a 15. Good luck with it
    Jon

  18. #28418
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    She is very tired. She says it comes and goes so I don't guess it will be tonight. She has had some very long labors with the other babies then all of a sudden.... I'm hoping this one will go better. Her BFF is a midwife but won't do her at home so she comes and stays and tries to make sure she gets to the hospital before the baby comes, well, the last one came in the drive way - in the van...
    Miriam, keep us posted! Hopefully by morning you will be a Grandma again! I hope this one is born at the hospital!

    Nancy

  19. #28419
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    She is very tired. She says it comes and goes so I don't guess it will be tonight. She has had some very long labors with the other babies then all of a sudden.... I'm hoping this one will go better. Her BFF is a midwife but won't do her at home so she comes and stays and tries to make sure she gets to the hospital before the baby comes, well, the last one came in the drive way - in the van...
    So, there aren't any parts or hinges you can get to replace the broken ones?

  20. #28420
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    It took a while to find a top for mine, but finally put a 503 top on my 500. The top actually attaches with clips; I bought the clips with the top. It's a simple fix; the hardest part is locating the top and clips!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Anyone here have a Singer 500 that was missing it top? I know this is a common complaint. How hard is it to reattach a broken top? Can the hinges be purchased or??
    Miz Johnny

  21. #28421
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Haven't been able to spend much time here, but it looks like some really neat machines are being adopted!

    Nancy, The skipped stitches....could they be a result of the speed? I know my Pfaff skipped stitches if I was sewing too fast OR slow...

    Miriam...can't wait til your new little one is here!! Babywatch! What fun!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  22. #28422
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    I think the there is a modified bobbin case for the 319 that has a cutaway to allow for the 15x1 needle, and I read about altering the original ones to make the 15x1 needle work. Some of the bobbin cases are not interchangable because of a slot in the side of the bobbin case that has to be there because of a keyway in the bobbin case holder.
    Melinda

  23. #28423
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    It took a while to find a top for mine, but finally put a 503 top on my 500. The top actually attaches with clips; I bought the clips with the top. It's a simple fix; the hardest part is locating the top and clips!!
    The top I have is just setting on the machine - it is damaged beyond use - she may have already been robbed of her clips I don't know. Once those are toast the replacement doors are more expensive than the machine probably was. At least they will still sew without the lid on it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  24. #28424
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Miriam...can't wait til your new little one is here!! Babywatch! What fun!!

    I'm hoping Walter gets here soon too - I have too much to do to worry all week....
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  25. #28425
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I think the there is a modified bobbin case for the 319 that has a cutaway to allow for the 15x1 needle, and I read about altering the original ones to make the 15x1 needle work. Some of the bobbin cases are not interchangable because of a slot in the side of the bobbin case that has to be there because of a keyway in the bobbin case holder.
    Where did you see that?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.