Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1135 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 135 635 1035 1085 1125 1134 1135 1136 1145 1185 1235 1635 ... LastLast
Results 28,351 to 28,375 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #28351
    Member Julie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Payette, Idaho
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    It could also be the wiring - the foot control - friction somewhere - is the motor cold - when did you oil the machine last - use Triflow or regular machine oil - if it has had 3-in-1 oil it could gum it up and cause some drag - if it is only hesitating on the zig zag there are a couple places that have to be kept cleaned and oiled. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...-t70011-2.html on the second page there is a real nice pic of the needle bar and where to oil it. Open the top of the machine, if you push on the part on the needle bar that make it zig zag and watch you can see the one on the other end - oil it too.
    The 401a has less hesitation when it is unthreaded than when it is threaded and I am only doing a straight stitch. It was just recently oiled. I checked it for being gummed up but it looked clean. The foot control is from the 403 which didn't have the problem so I think it is ok. Had to use it because the case the 401 is in had the knee lever which I am really enjoying. This 401 is the one that tumbled over backwards to the floor when I was putting it in its case.

    jb

  2. #28352
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    thank you jlhmnj for the info, I thought it might be a 201, thanks for confirming it I have a treadle downstairs, I want to get info on. Waiting for DH & DS to pull it out so I can get the serial number and see what condition it's in.
    Hope everyone had a great turkey day! Off to one store this morning, Staples".
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

  3. #28353
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    [QUOTE=Julie1;4717916]The 401a has less hesitation when it is unthreaded than when it is threaded and I am only doing a straight stitch. It was just recently oiled. I checked it for being gummed up but it looked clean. The foot control is from the 403 which didn't have the problem so I think it is ok. Had to use it because the case the 401 is in had the knee lever which I am really enjoying. This 401 is the one that tumbled over backwards to the floor when I was putting it in its case.
    Did the machine work well before it fell? If it did, something is bent and needs to be straightened. If it acted the same it probably just "gummy" which is real common for 401's. Here's what I do when I get a sluggish machine:
    ---Put a drop or two of penetrant (nut and bolt loosener but not WD40) on every oil spot as indicated in 401 manual (free at ismacs.net) . One missed spot can make a huge difference.
    ---don't put any penetrant on or in the motor and pay particular attention to the top half of your machine
    ---run the machine unthreaded at full throttle in short bursts, should hear the difference in increased speed.
    ---If fixed, oil the machine.
    Guess there are a few other spots your problem could be but this is a likely and cheap place to start. Good Luck
    Jon

  4. #28354
    Senior Member olebat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    809
    Blog Entries
    10
    Can anyone shead information on a Wilkes treadle? A friend has gotten one, and we can't find any information.

  5. #28355
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630

    treadle machine phoenix

    Pretty sure that is what it is, the picture would not load. serial number V 14632??
    she needs a spa obsolutely; beautiful treadle base but handmade top. Soon time in the future will need to look for a nice cabinet.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

  6. #28356
    Member Julie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Payette, Idaho
    Posts
    77
    Thanks Jon, I will try this as soon as I can get some penetrating oil. Should be Monday when I get it done. jb

  7. #28357
    Super Member OKLAHOMA PEACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    BLANCHARD, OK
    Posts
    2,507
    I have a vintage(?) Universal Brand KAB-M SN 401762 1960"s, a l shaped hinged plate. Have broken and now lost the straight stitch plate attachment.

    l___

  8. #28358
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    SOMEBODY HELP ME! I'm trying to get instruction manual for a Davis Honeymoon machine S/N 2929792. I see several different pix of Honeymoons on ISMACS but none exactly like mine. I saw a pix of one that sold in 2008 that looks like mine except mine is a coffin top, 5 drawers, elaborate carving on drawers and top. I have searched this site but nothing comes up except I see where GrannieAnnie has one. I need to know specifically how to thread the tension which is on top of the machine and how the thread goes thru the needle from rt to left, etc.
    TwandasMom

  9. #28359
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble View Post
    Pretty sure that is what it is, the picture would not load. serial number V 14632??
    she needs a spa obsolutely; beautiful treadle base but handmade top. Soon time in the future will need to look for a nice cabinet.
    Found this image with a beautiful handmade treadle cabinet:
    http://tidytipsy.wordpress.com/2010/...part-1-oiling/
    Also some older machines similar to a Singer 27 Vibrating shuttle and a 50's ZZ machine. Few images on google search "phoenix sewing machine german", but not alot. Good luck, I'm sure it's a well made machine but couldn't pinpoint who made the older versions.
    Jon

  10. #28360
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie1 View Post
    Thanks Jon, I will try this as soon as I can get some penetrating oil. Should be Monday when I get it done. jb
    I really don't think oil is going to help you if you dropped it. It will need some work to get it back to good order I imagine...

  11. #28361
    Junior Member beaniekins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Help please! I'm having a problem with my 403A. When I run it, it smokes from the cam stack area and seems a little sluggish. The smoke smells a little. Do I need to take it apart and clean it? If so, how do I do that?

  12. #28362
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by LINDA CATLEGE View Post
    I have a vintage(?) Universal Brand KAB-M SN 401762 1960"s, a l shaped hinged plate. Have broken and now lost the straight stitch plate attachment.

    l___

    Do you have a picture? Is that a Japanese 15 clone?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  13. #28363
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I really don't think oil is going to help you if you dropped it. It will need some work to get it back to good order I imagine...
    I'm thinking that too but sometimes oil works... Your's is something someone who knows those machines will have to look at no doubt. I always try for the easy fix... I have one with a bent stitch selector shaft - bums me out I have tried and tried to fix it. I've taken it apart and put it back but it just won't work. I could not see the bend until I took it all apart. I knew it was there though. I'm thinking one more try..... Maybe I need to hold my mouth just right.I wonder if you can find a picture of the inside of a 401 and then look and see if anything looks out of place. Look at the needle shaft and the pressure foot shaft too.
    Last edited by miriam; 11-25-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  14. #28364
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post
    Help please! I'm having a problem with my 403A. When I run it, it smokes from the cam stack area and seems a little sluggish. The smoke smells a little. Do I need to take it apart and clean it? If so, how do I do that?
    You must have oil down in there or in the motor. Run it like crazy. Stop. Run it like crazy - see if it will burn off after a while. I just did that with a Singer 66. Wipe off any excess oil you see. If the oil is set up like rubber cement let me know. I really love my 403 - it is my favorite machine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  15. #28365
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    SOMEBODY HELP ME! I'm trying to get instruction manual for a Davis Honeymoon machine S/N 2929792. I see several different pix of Honeymoons on ISMACS but none exactly like mine. I saw a pix of one that sold in 2008 that looks like mine except mine is a coffin top, 5 drawers, elaborate carving on drawers and top. I have searched this site but nothing comes up except I see where GrannieAnnie has one. I need to know specifically how to thread the tension which is on top of the machine and how the thread goes thru the needle from rt to left, etc.
    Hi---
    Davis was one of the makers that made the Honeymoon. Here is a New Home manual which you should find close :
    http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...0873/index.htm
    This is a vibrating shuttle model so the flat or short groove will face the right, towards the shuttle. If your lucky it will take a 15 x 1 or an old needle is with the machine. Good Luck
    Jon

  16. #28366
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I'm thinking that too but sometimes oil works... Your's is something someone who knows those machines will have to look at no doubt. I always try for the easy fix... I have one with a bent stitch selector shaft - bums me out I have tried and tried to fix it. I've taken it apart and put it back but it just won't work. I could not see the bend until I took it all apart. I knew it was there though. I'm thinking one more try..... Maybe I need to hold my mouth just right.I wonder if you can find a picture of the inside of a 401 and then look and see if anything looks out of place. Look at the needle shaft and the pressure foot shaft too.
    Hi Miriam,
    This is one of the most annoying kind of problems. I've found the best way to solve it is with another working machine next to you if possible. This way you can swap out parts to check and arn't second guessing or ordering parts 2 or 3 times. If you need any pictures let me know, I've got one laying around here...........somewhere
    Jon

  17. #28367
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I imagine it has to do with the treadling somehow then and maybe the movement to get it to sew would need some practice? You're certain that what you have in it is the 206 x 13 needle? Glen will have to chime in with his thoughts on it. I'm sure between all the brain surgeons here, we'll give you some things to try:> Happy Turkey Day.
    Nancy I am in aggrement you will need the 206X13 needle also I had to take a spare needle clamp screw and put in the bight knob. To screw it down tight. Also I set the bight on #1 and got mine to sew nice. Try this and see what you get.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

    Trish

  18. #28368
    Super Member misseva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Arkansas
    Posts
    2,425
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks Jon, I printed off New Home Instructions. Now I've got to find my magnifying glass to read it. It does take same size needle as the ones for my regular machines. Now if I could just figure out how to put the belt on. Anyone out there know where I could get picture instructions?
    TwandasMom

  19. #28369
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat View Post
    Can anyone shead information on a Wilkes treadle? A friend has gotten one, and we can't find any information.
    Don't see anything for "Wilkes" but there is a "Wilks" listed in Ismacs needle list as made by Mason which was an agent for White. A picture would be a help in ID
    Jon

  20. #28370
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Hi Miriam,
    This is one of the most annoying kind of problems. I've found the best way to solve it is with another working machine next to you if possible. This way you can swap out parts to check and arn't second guessing or ordering parts 2 or 3 times. If you need any pictures let me know, I've got one laying around here...........somewhere
    Jon
    exactly what I do!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  21. #28371
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    exactly what I do!
    Great minds think alike???????????

  22. #28372
    Junior Member beaniekins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    You must have oil down in there or in the motor. Run it like crazy. Stop. Run it like crazy - see if it will burn off after a while. I just did that with a Singer 66. Wipe off any excess oil you see. If the oil is set up like rubber cement let me know. I really love my 403 - it is my favorite machine.
    I will try this and get back to you.

  23. #28373
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    I made a mistake; what I have is a Singer 1908 Sphinex. The gold decales are in real good condition, just covered with dust and dirt. Without a picture to post, don't know why I get "failed" message when trying to upload the picture. Am trying to find out which model, maybe a 27? Seems the Sphinex decals were put on a couple of different models?
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

  24. #28374
    Member Julie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Payette, Idaho
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie1 View Post
    Thanks Jon, I will try this as soon as I can get some penetrating oil. Should be Monday when I get it done. jb
    Had a schedule change and was able to get the penetrating oil and apply it to the 401a. It just got quieter and faster and away it went. So I believe it is now it is fixed. Applied new machine oil and lubricant where indicated in the book.
    Thanks to everyone who has helped me on the "fix" of this machine. jb

  25. #28375
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have not had a problem with the 319 skipping stitches. I use a 206x13 needle in the size required for sewing cotton piecing a 14 usually. Make sure the bight is set properly. I can also sew with a 15x1 with no problem.
    Hellol Glenn, I hope you and everyone else here had a great Thanksgiving!

    Yes, I am using the 206x13 needles in a size 80/12, which should be perfect for two layers of quilting cotton fabric! I will order some 14's and see if that makes a difference in the stitches, but I don't think the needle size is the issue!

    Are you saying you can sew with a 15x1 needle? That would amaze me because this machine takes the special 206x13 needle!!!!!

    I don't know this machine yet, so I am not sure if the 'Bight' is set properly! I have tried several adjustments?

    Nancy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.