Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by jljack
I'm excited to get home....my Davis arrived today. DH called me to say it was there, and that he opened the damaged box to be sure the machine was OK. Said he didn't see any damage, but I'll check it when I get home. I'll post pics tonite later...church at 7:00.
Oh the anticipation!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gosh, I hope it's okay! Please, oh please, oh please be okay!
I second that!!

I saw that 66, and I thought about it, but Rochester refuses to ship any way but by US Post Office Parcel Post!! I have asked them a couple of times to ship UPS or FedEx, but they won't do it!!! BOOO!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Don't want to use rubbing alcohol - messes up the finish. Ask me how I know :roll:

On my FW, I used Goop carefully to clean, then sewing machine oil to protective coat it. My FW had been obviously sitting unused for 30+ years when I got it, so it's been sitting now for a month - just breathing, relaxing. I'll go back and re-oil the mechanics and Liquid Gold the exterior when I go to use it.

Other's have suggested careful use of TR-3 Resin Glaze (a car product), but have said to be really careful not to get it on the decals. I hear tell it fills in hairline cracks and buffs up to a 'clear coat' type shine... but I haven't personally tried it yet.
My Featherweight had somehow acquired a stickiness to her finish. Like she had been sprayed with hairspray that set. Tried water. Tried small amount of soap with water. Hmmm...what cuts through stickiness...out came the rubbing alcohol. Dumb. Now she has a dull finish. After having her 30+years in great shape. Oh, and still sticky in places. *sigh*
QCG, try rubbing some mayo on the sticky portions. I don't know how it works, but it DOES! And it is oily, so should help it to shine too. I use mayo to get wood pitch off my hands!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM

I'm excited to get home....my Davis arrived today. DH called me to say it was there, and that he opened the damaged box to be sure the machine was OK. Said he didn't see any damage, but I'll check it when I get home. I'll post pics tonite later...church at 7:00.
Oh the anticipation!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yep!!! Can't wait to touch her!!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Don't want to use rubbing alcohol - messes up the finish. Ask me how I know :roll:

On my FW, I used Goop carefully to clean, then sewing machine oil to protective coat it. My FW had been obviously sitting unused for 30+ years when I got it, so it's been sitting now for a month - just breathing, relaxing. I'll go back and re-oil the mechanics and Liquid Gold the exterior when I go to use it.

Other's have suggested careful use of TR-3 Resin Glaze (a car product), but have said to be really careful not to get it on the decals. I hear tell it fills in hairline cracks and buffs up to a 'clear coat' type shine... but I haven't personally tried it yet.
My Featherweight had somehow acquired a stickiness to her finish. Like she had been sprayed with hairspray that set. Tried water. Tried small amount of soap with water. Hmmm...what cuts through stickiness...out came the rubbing alcohol. Dumb. Now she has a dull finish. After having her 30+years in great shape. Oh, and still sticky in places. *sigh*
QCG, try rubbing some mayo on the sticky portions. I don't know how it works, but it DOES! And it is oily, so should help it to shine too. I use mayo to get wood pitch off my hands!
Probably the vegetable oil in it that works!!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8807154

Somebody please rescue this baby...
The hand wheel looks crooked to me.
Yeah, you may be right. It does look like its bent, but could be just how it's photographed.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM

ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

Yeah, you may be right. It does look like its bent, but could be just how it's photographed.
I have looked at my redeye from all angles and it does not look like that. Hope it is not bent.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Ouch, QCG!. People use all kinds of things. Try all things out carefully before using. Each machine is different. I've had huge success cleaning with Kerosene first. Then carefully use cotton balls with NON-PUMICE Goop, although someone else suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid to carefully loose up the old oil. Then used sewing machine oil to 'polish' or Scott's Liquid Gold (there are different versions of Scotts, cleaners, polishers etc. Make sure to get the right one.) I once used my husbands Porsche Carnuba car wax that he special orders (don't tell!). It did a super fine job, but getting the tell-tale smell out of the house before he came home..... phew. lol.

Sounds like you can't hurt it - have you tried some car paint restore stuff?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Sounds like you can't hurt it - have you tried some car paint restore stuff?
What would this be & where to get it?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I have looked at my redeye from all angles and it does not look like that. Hope it is not bent.
looks bent to me - it would be a donor machine if it is...
Old 10-26-2011, 01:29 PM

I suggested Cowgirl try car wax on it.