Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I have a 115 treadle. Is it a good machine to do FMQ? Do the feed dogs drop and if so, how? I can't find much information on the 115. Any info. appreciated!
Linda
Hi Linda. I don't think the feed drops. If you sign onto the Smithsonian archive there's a 115 manual. Try this link:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/2683/

I'd use a 15-91, 201 for FMQ but the easiest vintage machine for FMQ, might be one of the Japanese clone 15's, 'cause they have slightly better mechanics and a drop feed dog SWITCH on the front bed of the machine (usually there are three settings: Fine sewing (dogs down slightly), Normal sewing and Embroidery (dogs all the way down). Nice machines. Many of them are belt driven motors, you might be able to treadle them if you really wanted to. But I'm not sure about that.

Here's a picture of mine that I got off goodwill.com. Case is busted, and is on my 'honey do' list. So I haven't sewn with it yet. This picture is when I first got her. Now she's all oiled, rewired, polished and rarin to go. See the drop feed switch on the bed? There are millions of these types (all different names), in different colors out there.

Pinky Tan Dressmaker Japanese Clone
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277423[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277370.jpe  
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Inside crevaces and all. Outside of machine, NOT inside. I was thinking of using a Q-tip and rubbing alchohol? Would this be OK? or if anyone has some special tricks or advice... I would sure appreciate it. Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more? My machine is in very good shape...all scoll decals intact... Etc. I just want to dress her up alittle more to take her out !! LOL :-) Thanks everyone,
Julie
Not so sure about the rubbing alcohol and how that would react with the finish on the machine, so I would avoid that unless it's on the chrome parts. To get in the crevices, maybe just try a cotton swab or a toothpick with a little bit of cotton ball wrapped around it moistened with some water (if it's not too grimy and just dusty). As far as shine, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold or paste wax on my machines and buffed up with a soft cloth.

Forgot to add, on the wax, don't use one with "cleaner" or an abrasive. :)
rubbing alcohol if I recall correctly removes paint.
Don't want to use rubbing alcohol - messes up the finish. Ask me how I know :roll:
Old 10-26-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by jljack
I've been busy this past weekend. Our 100 member quilt guild had its quilt show. Last Friday I worked 8 hours helping set up, then volunteered at the show Saturday and Sunday, and helped with take down. It is a tremendous amount of work to put on a show. My hat is off to anyone who has ever been the Chairperson for an event like that. I was just one little committee person. Lots of beautiful quilts. I'm hoping for the next show, that I can have a roped off area and display some of my antique Iron Ladies. It won't be for 2 years. I did get a Blue Ribbon in my division, so I was a happy quilter.

Texas Jan

OK, I confess (raising hand!!) I'm the chair for our guild's quilt show in January 2012. But I have tons of help, and I was very involved the last 2 shows, so I am pretty confident we'll do OK. :shock:
My hat is surely off to you!!

Texas Jan
Well, gee, thanks!! :-) The gang has done so many it's kinda a slam dunk...just organizing the meetings, tending to some of the details, etc. Not too hard!!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Needle turn is where you turn the raw edge of the applique piece under itself and stitch it to the background fabric by hand. No stitching shows on top at all.

Texas Jan
That is unless I am the one doing the handsewing!! I have 'CHSS' LOL
LMAO!!! That one took me a few seconds to figure out! ;)
Guess I am "dense". I don't get it???

Texas Jan
Can't Hand Sew (uh...) STUFF!! ;)
Thanks Charlee. I would have never figured that one out. lol

Texas Jan
Me neither, and I actually have a form of that very same syndrome!! LOL LOL
Old 10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Needle turn is where you turn the raw edge of the applique piece under itself and stitch it to the background fabric by hand. No stitching shows on top at all.

Texas Jan
That is unless I am the one doing the handsewing!! I have 'CHSS' LOL
LMAO!!! That one took me a few seconds to figure out! ;)
Guess I am "dense". I don't get it???

Texas Jan
Can't Hand Sew (uh...) STUFF!! ;)
Thanks Charlee. I would have never figured that one out. lol

Texas Jan
Me neither, and I actually have a form of that very same syndrome!! LOL LOL
I have disorganizationia...
Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Iunique... nice looking Japanese clone 15. LOVE the face plate. Handsome!

I think the free manual for the clones was off the sew-classic website? Try there first, if you don't find it... send me a message and I'll send you the .pdf.

So nice to be 'back'.... but oh my word, have I got a lot to catch up on!
So glad to see you back....and that you are recovering from the "crud"!!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more?, Julie
As far as shine, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold or paste wax on my machines and buffed up with a soft cloth. Forgot to add, on the wax, don't use one with "cleaner" or an abrasive. :)
Don't want to use rubbing alcohol - messes up the finish. Ask me how I know :roll:
Ouch, QCG!. People use all kinds of things. Try all things out carefully before using. Each machine is different. I've had huge success cleaning with Kerosene first. Then carefully use cotton balls with NON-PUMICE Goop, although someone else suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid to carefully loose up the old oil. Then used sewing machine oil to 'polish' or Scott's Liquid Gold (there are different versions of Scotts, cleaners, polishers etc. Make sure to get the right one.) I once used my husbands Porsche Carnuba car wax that he special orders (don't tell!). It did a super fine job, but getting the tell-tale smell out of the house before he came home..... phew. lol.

On my FW, I used Goop carefully to clean, then sewing machine oil to protective coat it. My FW had been obviously sitting unused for 30+ years when I got it, so it's been sitting now for a month - just breathing, relaxing. I'll go back and re-oil the mechanics and Liquid Gold the exterior when I go to use it.

Other's have suggested careful use of TR-3 Resin Glaze (a car product), but have said to be really careful not to get it on the decals. I hear tell it fills in hairline cracks and buffs up to a 'clear coat' type shine... but I haven't personally tried it yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Question to those who would know, what is special about a Bell machine. Other than it looks interesting and very clean, I'm not sure why the price is (what I would consider) high? Is it a rare one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8751380
That is intriguing! I have never seen one.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:56 PM

So glad to see you back....and that you are recovering from the "crud"!!
Thanks Janice, and others! Recovering and itch'in to get back into it. I've spent ALL AFTERNOON on this Board! Yikes! lol
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ouch, QCG!. People use all kinds of things. Try all things out carefully before using. Each machine is different. I've had huge success cleaning with Kerosene first. Then carefully use cotton balls with NON-PUMICE Goop, although someone else suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid to carefully loose up the old oil. Then used sewing machine oil to 'polish' or Scott's Liquid Gold (there are different versions of Scotts, cleaners, polishers etc. Make sure to get the right one.) I once used my husbands Porsche Carnuba car wax that he special orders (don't tell!). It did a super fine job, but getting the tell-tale smell out of the house before he came home..... phew. lol.

On my FW, I used Goop carefully to clean, then sewing machine oil to protective coat it. My FW had been obviously sitting unused for 30+ years when I got it, so it's been sitting now for a month - just breathing, relaxing. I'll go back and re-oil the mechanics and Liquid Gold the exterior when I go to use it.

Other's have suggested careful use of TR-3 Resin Glaze (a car product), but have said to be really careful not to get it on the decals. I hear tell it fills in hairline cracks and buffs up to a 'clear coat' type shine... but I haven't personally tried it yet.
My Featherweight had somehow acquired a stickiness to her finish. Like she had been sprayed with hairspray that set. Tried water. Tried small amount of soap with water. Hmmm...what cuts through stickiness...out came the rubbing alcohol. Dumb. Now she has a dull finish. After having her 30+years in great shape. Oh, and still sticky in places. *sigh*