Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by tropit
Sorry...I realize that Blilly would like us to post about earlier machines, but this one is on the cusp and has piqued my curiosity. I hope that you don't mind.

~ Cindy
where else can you go with it???
Exactly! Besides, "vintage" is a matter of opinion!! :lol: ;)

I love the color of that machine! Don't know a thing about it, but I like it! :)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Sorry...I realize that Blilly would like us to post about earlier machines, but this one is on the cusp and has piqued my curiosity. I hope that you don't mind.

~ Cindy

I love the color of that machine! Don't know a thing about it, but I like it! :)
What does the front look like?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 AM

OK...I'm up to page 8 and I already have a question. I have a 403A Slant-O-Matic, which I dearly love. I went to the Singer site to try to date her and I found conflicting information. It's my understanding that the Slant-O-Matic series started in 1958, but Singer says that the serial number on my machine dates it at 1951. Please help, I'm confused. Thanks.

~Cindy
I have the same question - my 401A, according to the serial number dating (and the certificate I got from Singer) date it at 1951. Same thing with the 603 - the date is 1959 and I read some place that it was introduced later. I'm confused, too.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 AM

~ Cindy

I dunno. :?:

~ Cindy
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

~ Cindy

~ Cindy
:lol: :lol: :lol: so offer $25
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM

~ Cindy

~ Cindy
They're only asking $10! LOL
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM

I picked up a beautiful machine at a yard sale last week...or rather, lol, dh picked it up, not the lightest thing. It started life as a treadle, but someone long ago converted it to electric and put it in a case. You can see where it used to say OLSON, but the lettering is worn off. I can't find anything about Olson, and it does not have a manual. It is missing a plate, I think, on the front, which probably had a number on it. Under the machine, on the front, there is a number, S 58068.

I am trying to get a decent photo, but with my flash, it reflects so much I get mostly a blur. Anyone know anything about an OLSON?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 AM

~ Cindy

~ Cindy
I'd definitely ask to see the front!!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

~ Cindy

~ Cindy
They're only asking $10! LOL
I rarely pass up a $10 sewing machine. You can learn a lot about fixing them if they don't work... Some times they do work. If you get enough $10 sewing machines maybe you can combine a couple and have one that works.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM

I had an odd encounter at a yard sale this weekend. I always ask if they have an old sewing machine to sell. A lady who was helping said she did and gave me her number to call later. My cousin and I called and went to her house. She led me to a Singer 15. I started to look it over and she left me to call the sewing machine guy that works on her stuff to see what it was worth. Huh?

It had no feet or accesories, a potted motor, the foot pedal had been replaced with a modern wedge but that cord was so bad rubber was falling off the wires. The decals were not in that great a shape. No case, no cabinet, just short of being a boat anchor.

After a couple of minutes I went looking for her. She was still talking to the guy asking, is that for selling to an individual? Hmmmm. Then she hangs up and asks me what I thought it was worth. Told her some people give them away, you see them at yard sales for 15 or 25 dollars depending on the condition and maybe $65.00 if they are in perfect working order and good decals. Well, she said, I'd sell it for $25. I said I'd think about it and thanked her for letting me see it.

Ya'll think this was as weird and uncomfortable as I did?