Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by montana_cheryl
Hi I have a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. I bought it for 75 dollars about 15 years ago. It is in PERFECT condition but I need to get a belt for it. It's very ornate.
Good price! :) We'd love to see photos of it...as for a belt? All but one of my treadles has a 72 inch leather bootlace cut down to size and held together with either a piece of paperclip or a few stitches of dental floss... ;)
Charlee are you serious? You really use a 'bootlace' as opposed to a regular treadle belt? That is so cool, I may have to try that! Geeze, you guys are always coming up with innovative ideas!

Nancy
Old 10-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Still working on the tension. I think I should take the tensioner assembly off & clean it. Project for another day though. Plus I'm just using the handwheel. Don't want to plug it in until DH checks the wiring for me.

She did clean up easily & nicely.
Sheryl, that machine turned out beautiful! WOW!

Nancy
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy if you send me your email address I will sent you a short clip of the machine in action in the treadle. If you have a red eye with the treadle no modification is necessary except to remove the motor and place in you cabinet. You will need a belt longer than the one on the red eye. I think any singer treadle with same dim as the red eye would work. My 319 fits the back lift hinges on the treadle. You will see an old man working the machine to LOL
Glenn
Done!! I can't wait to get the 'short clip.' Now I really want to find a 319! It looks so much easier to make into a treadle then the 328 that Monica has! I am not as talented as Monica or as brave to modify a machine - I'd rather just pop one into the treadle without taking the machine apart to make it work!

Nancy
Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Thanks Vintagemotif I could not think Tiffiney. I knew it was a 66 but could remember the name of the decal
I see those decals and think of old Victorian homes in SF and gingerbread.
It is a very pretty machine and is very victorian. After unsing the VS2 I don't think I will be looking for anymore 66's
Glenn, I know you have always been partial to a 66, but do you have a later model 66 with reverse? That is the one reason my all time favorite machine is my 15-88 treadle! That 15-88 with reverse is my go to machine. Beside, I do all my FM quilting on that 15 because it also drops its feed dogs which the 66 does not - even the later versions of the 66.

Nancy
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer
... Is Turtle Wax a good wax to use?
As long as it's not abrasive in anyway, yes. :) (You don't want the "clean and shine" type of wax)[/quote]

Thanks so much Charlee! I'll double check the can before using![/quote]

Not trying to undermind Charlee's advice, but, the 'Liquid Gold,' in the liquid form has been high recommend. Just a suggestion, (forgive me I mostly lurk around here soaking up knowledge and advice.)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
As long as it's not abrasive in anyway, yes. :) (You don't want the "clean and shine" type of wax)
Thanks so much Charlee! I'll double check the can before using![/quote]

Not trying to undermind Charlee's advice, but, the 'Liquid Gold,' in the liquid form has been high recommend. Just a suggestion, (forgive me I mostly lurk around here soaking up knowledge and advice.)[/quote]

That's not an undermine Cherry, that's a suggestion! :) ;)

I don't use the Liquid Gold, simply because I have a lot of car wax around here, it works, it's durable, and it leaves a lovely shine. :)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by montana_cheryl
Hi I have a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. I bought it for 75 dollars about 15 years ago. It is in PERFECT condition but I need to get a belt for it. It's very ornate.
Good price! :) We'd love to see photos of it...as for a belt? All but one of my treadles has a 72 inch leather bootlace cut down to size and held together with either a piece of paperclip or a few stitches of dental floss... ;)
Charlee are you serious? You really use a 'bootlace' as opposed to a regular treadle belt? That is so cool, I may have to try that! Geeze, you guys are always coming up with innovative ideas!

Nancy
Yep! Totally serious! :lol: I don't see any reason to pay 8 or 9 dollars plus shipping for a belt when I can fork out a few bucks for a bootlace and it does the job! ;)
I've known ladies that have had a belt break and they will grab the leg off a pair of pantyhose to use until they can get one!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Thanks Vintagemotif I could not think Tiffiney. I knew it was a 66 but could remember the name of the decal
It is a very pretty machine and is very victorian. After unsing the VS2 I don't think I will be looking for anymore 66's
Glenn, I know you have always been partial to a 66, but do you have a later model 66 with reverse? That is the one reason my all time favorite machine is my 15-88 treadle! That 15-88 with reverse is my go to machine. Beside, I do all my FM quilting on that 15 because it also drops its feed dogs which the 66 does not - even the later versions of the 66.

Nancy
No I don't have a later model with reverse. I just old the fabric still and put a stitch are two in the same place to lock.
glenn
Old 10-24-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
As long as it's not abrasive in anyway, yes. :) (You don't want the "clean and shine" type of wax)
Thanks so much Charlee! I'll double check the can before using!
Not trying to undermind Charlee's advice, but, the 'Liquid Gold,' in the liquid form has been high recommend. Just a suggestion, (forgive me I mostly lurk around here soaking up knowledge and advice.)[/quote]

That's not an undermine Cherry, that's a suggestion! :) ;)

I don't use the Liquid Gold, simply because I have a lot of car wax around here, it works, it's durable, and it leaves a lovely shine. :)[/quote]
Thanks, you learn something new everyday.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 AM

What is a VS2?