Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Thought I would introduce you to my newest "lost cause" project. She is a Singer Fiddleback Model 12 and what is left of her cabinet. She was listed on Craigslist and after bugging her lister for a couple of months he finally came off his price to where I would buy her. I could see in his pictures that she had a shuttle, and he confirmed there was a bobbin in it. It all turned, so that was good. She has been living outside under the edge of a shed, enduring all the weather that Texas can dish out, for the past 10 years. I couldn't leave her there, so I finally got her not too long ago. She is in various states of restoration right now, but here she is when I got her. She will have to be a repaint, but I have no choice. Her shuttle had a broken and missing tension piece, so I AM LOOKING FOR A SHUTTLE!! Does anyone have one?????

Texas Jan
Nice save!! Wish I could help with the shuttle problem, I have a few extras, but not for that machine! :(
Thanks Charlee. She will be looking for one for awhile, I'm afraid, but I couldn't leave her there. I think for now her name is Dusty. lol

Texas Jan
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-164361-1.htm#4595431
Ok I did it - I started a picture gallery for 15 clones feel free to add pictures of clones
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 AM

Well my Hubby was at it again yesterday. Went to an estate auction and found this machine. He calls her Frankie and just couldn't leave her. So she is a Franklin and her decals are in really good shape. The cabinet is good except for some pieces missing around two drawer knobs. Which we have extra so can be fixed. The cabinet is solid oak no veneer. Needs a good cleaning but she sews like a dream I have already tried her out.I was sewing straight lines with her and told Hubby to try her out and he sewed a circle around my lines. So he says she can sew circles around any of our other ladies.
I can't keep him away from any auction that says "old" sewing machine in cabinet.
Well here are some of her pictures before cleaning. Too darn cold right now to do that. Were out in the snow yesterday to get her. (She uses a 15X1 needle which is good) Don't know her birthday tho. :-( Need help with that.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279242.jpe   attachment-279243.jpe   attachment-279244.jpe   attachment-279248.jpe   attachment-279249.jpe  

attachment-279250.jpe  
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well my Hubby was at it again yesterday. Went to an estate auction and found this machine. He calls her Frankie and just couldn't leave her. So she is a Franklin and her decals are in really good shape. The cabinet is good except for some pieces missing around two drawer knobs. Which we have extra so can be fixed. The cabinet is solid oak no veneer. Needs a good cleaning but she sews like a dream I have already tried her out.I was sewing straight lines with her and told Hubby to try her out and he sewed a circle around my lines. So he says she can sew circles around any of our other ladies.
I can't keep him away from any auction that says "old" sewing machine in cabinet.
Well here are some of her pictures before cleaning. Too darn cold right now to do that. Were out in the snow yesterday to get her. (She uses a 15X1 needle which is good) Don't know her birthday tho. :-( Need help with that.
Wow, very nice! I love the pictures - are those all the goodies she came with? How fun it must have been to go through all of that...just think of all the sewing and things that were made with those old and worn tools. I wish you could see the hands that created with them.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 AM

pumpkinpatchquilter,
Yes all that and more. Must have been a thousand buttons and bra clips yes she saved or made her own bras. Lots of needles and pins. Also the all important manual and extra belt.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Thought I would introduce you to my newest "lost cause" project. She is a Singer Fiddleback Model 12 and what is left of her cabinet. Her Serial number is 4393512 dating her back to about 1881.

Texas Jan
Wow, you are much braver than I am! Is that the one where the belt is wider than later treadles? I am just seeing what looks like the belt guard on the machine, and it looks fairly wide. Can't wait to see the transformation.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 AM

Well my Hubby was at it again yesterday. Went to an estate auction and found this machine. He calls her Frankie and just couldn't leave her.

Nice find! The decals look great.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 AM

Thought I would introduce you to my newest "lost cause" project. She is a Singer Fiddleback Model 12 and what is left of her cabinet. She was listed on Craigslist and after bugging her lister for a couple of months he finally came off his price to where I would buy her. I could see in his pictures that she had a shuttle, and he confirmed there was a bobbin in it. It all turned, so that was good. She has been living outside under the edge of a shed, enduring all the weather that Texas can dish out, for the past 10 years. I couldn't leave her there, so I finally got her not too long ago. She is in various states of restoration right now, but here she is when I got her. She will have to be a repaint, but I have no choice.
Her shuttle had a broken and missing tension piece, so I AM LOOKING FOR A SHUTTLE!! Does anyone have one????? Her Serial number is 4393512 dating her back to about 1881.

Texas Jan

Jan, Your machine looks like it will clean up nice. But, Hubby said you don't really want her do you! You can send her to him because he has a MOP fiddle base 12K hand crank that needs a base she just sets in her bottom part of her orginial base. Here is a picture of his pride and joy.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279259.jpe  
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 AM

pumpkinpatchquilter,
Yes all that and more. Must have been a thousand buttons and bra clips yes she saved or made her own bras. Lots of needles and pins. Also the all important manual and extra belt.
Do you think she might have been a professional seamstress of some sort with all those items tucked in there? Or just have a lot of money? I would think for the average family of that time it would be quite unusual to have a machine this ornate and filled with so many extras. I bet it was spectacular new. Just gorgeous. :)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 AM

Trish, That is a beautiful machine and cabinet. Looking forward to seeing the cleaned up photos. That was well worth the traveling in the snow for her since she also has all those scissors. Great find!