Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Maybe we should ship you one!!
Originally Posted by beaniekins
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by beaniekins
I have a 27 with the pheasant decals. I had no idea that it was one of the more rare decals. I really love mine. It was the first vintage machine that I got and it got me hooked.

What is the most rare decal for the Singers?

Here's a pic of my pheasant 27. I haven't given her the spa treatment yet.
Beaniekins, the Pheasant decals are extremely hard to find in decent shape! I had one 27 with the Pheasant decals, but the decals were almost completely gone. I would love to find one as nice as yours!

Nancy
Thank you! I have to admit though, I'm jealous of how easily you guys in the States can find Red Eyes. I have been looking for a year and only ever seen one, and it was 14 hours away from me! Plus, the seller wanted waaaay too much for it. The most common decal around here for the older machines is by far the Sphinx. For the 'newer' vintage machines, there are a fair number of the plainer, mostly black ones.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by ube quilting
Hello everyone. I'm still looking for attachments for my KENMORE 117 959. Looking for bobbin case and bobbins which I desparately need to run the machine. And then my wish list is for any attachments that go with this machine. There are machines for sale on line but I can't find any parts. Do I have to buy a whole machine to get a bobbin and case? What to do??? very sad.
peace
That machine won't take a class 15 bobbin. I have a manual for a Kenmore similar to yours (The stitch control is horizontal rather than vertical) with pictures of the bobbin and bobbin case and attachments. Would you like to have it?
If you could take a pic of the bobbin case/bobbin, I may have one.
Tommie
tommie, there's a pic of the machine and bobbin area on pg 1400. Does this help you? thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM

Yes--I have at least two.
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Candace
Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??
Looks like a 406 to me...but wait for a second/third/fourth opinion!! :lol:
I think that's a Singer 306.
No I think I'm wrong. Looks more like the Singer 319.

comparison link: http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/S...19forsale.html

It sure looks like a 319. Thanks for the link. Those weird typewriter keys on the top are very interesting! I guess this is one of those models that never really took off since you just don't see them? Anyone own one?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by emmah
Hello everyone. I'm still looking for attachments for my KENMORE 117 959. Looking for bobbin case and bobbins which I desparately need to run the machine. And then my wish list is for any attachments that go with this machine. There are machines for sale on line but I can't find any parts. Do I have to buy a whole machine to get a bobbin and case? What to do??? very sad.
peace
That machine won't take a class 15 bobbin. I have a manual for a Kenmore similar to yours (The stitch control is horizontal rather than vertical) with pictures of the bobbin and bobbin case and attachments. Would you like to have it?
If you could take a pic of the bobbin case/bobbin, I may have one.
Tommie
tommie, there's a pic of the machine and bobbin area on pg 1400. Does this help you? thanks
Thanks, I looked at the pic to help me find what i believe to be the right ones. page 1409.
Tommi3
Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Is there an easy way to replace the clear coat?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Yes and it takes a lot of effort to prepare it for the clear. I can do it but I do not like to just because it is really risky and if you do not mix it in the right ratio it will blister.

Billy
Old 07-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
You're better off and it's cheaper to use a resin type of car wax... (non cleaning....no grit!)
Old 07-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by suern3
Recently bought a Singer 99 and once I got it home, realized that the case has an odor from being stored, apparently. Does anyone have a good method for removing the odor? I tried doing a search on this site, but came up with way too many unrelated items. Thanks in advance.
dryer sheets, baking soda, leave it open in the sun - it's the glue
Yep the glue has started to mildew and it is not fun getting it out but you can. It was an animal based glue so mildew was always a problem if it ever was in a high humidity area.

Billy
I will try these ideas. Thanks. I think you are right because it has a very musty smell. We are surely in a high humidity area here in Nebraska. :)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM

I am looking at a Singer 328 that can be used as a treadle or electric machine. Does anyone have any comments about this machine? I really want to know if the feed dogs drop on this machine and if one could do FMQ on it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by melinda1962
I had grand plans of having 50 by the time I am fifty next year, so am getting more particular as well, for the last few to get me to the goal.
How many more do you have to go?

I had to come back and edit because that sounds strange, but some folks here put my numbers to shame. It is hard for me, because most of my machines, except 4 or so, actually work. I only get ones that can be used, and I try to complete a project on every one to show its worthiness.
Or mine!!!
That kind of goal makes it even more fun! I also want to have machines that I can use, not just be another thing to dust. :)
My mother snagged a couple of machines for me for free, and the person she got them from was a little perplexed that I'd actually fix them up (by myself) to use.