Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Heehee!

My daughter is sewing a pair of pants right now, and she ran into trouble doing the top stitching with her Janome TB30, birds nests underside.

I told her she could use one of my machines. I told her that I have a couple that produce beautiful top and bottom stitches. Well, the look of horror on her face made just made me laugh. I told her not the TREADLES, but my 401 or FW. She said maybe...no that's okay. Well, I got the 401 out, set it up, did a test run with fabric and thread. And she said "Your machine WINS".

So, she sits down to work with the 401, hits the foot pedal, and says "oh, man, this machine goes". heehee She also said " that big hunker of a thing goes faster than my Janome". So now, she is getting use to the 401's speed and learning to control the machine to use for her top stitching. I told her she could still try a treadle. :)
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by miriam
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
how do you get it open?
Use a small screwdriver and it will open no problem. There were only 3 keys for the Singers that I know of Square, Slot, and Triangle.

Billy
I wrote them an email and told them the same thing. They sent me a reply 3 days ago saying "Thank you, that worked and we are updating the listing." Only they never updated the listing.
It was updated if you look carefully. I didn't see that yesterday. Kind of takes away the excitement, but I guess they can't update the pictures, because those haven't changed.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Last year at an antique fair, hubby and I bought a Singer in a bentwood case that was locked with no key.
We paid $21.00 for a 1934 Singer 128K with the 'Lavencedora' decals and the Indian Star.

Somewhere on this board is pictures of her.

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 PM

I wrote them an email and told them the same thing. They sent me a reply 3 days ago saying "Thank you, that worked and we are updating the listing." Only they never updated the listing.
Your not supposed to do that, it takes the fun out of getting something good for next to nothing. Plus if they already had a bid on it they can not update the listing.

Billy
If you scroll down under the original description there is an update. No pic though.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Launie
My 15-91 does this thing where, after letting up the gas, the needle still goes up and down a few times before stopping. Not really a big deal, but when quilting, it leaves little "french knots" of thread where I stopped the machine to adjust my quilt. I bought a new pedal and DH put it on for me. I thought maybe that would help but not really. Any ideas? I think I may need a new motor. Is that a difficult thing to do/find?
Lots of machines do that. If you slow down before you get to the stopping point does it still do it?
Sat down and played around some today. Gotta say I LOVE my new pedal. And if I do slow down then the "ups and downs" greatly reslove. I also oiled it like crazy on the undercarriage and greased the pots iwth Vaseline. Seems like I read somewhere that works if you don't have the Singer grease. Old Ironsides seemed to run really well after all of that. It still amazes me that a 76yr old machine can bring it every time!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Might as well tell the rest, 128-1951 according to serial #.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Your not supposed to do that, it takes the fun out of getting something good for next to nothing. Plus if they already had a bid on it they can not update the listing.

Billy
If you scroll down under the original description there is an update. No pic though.
I didn't notice the update - I see no one has bid any higher. I sort of had a guess from looking at the outside - at least I guessed it wasn't a machine that used a knee bar. I am looking for something to turn into a hand crank.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM

These two are in my neck of the woods, but they put a reserve on them. They have a Spartan, too, but last time it went to $35 and never hit the reserve price and got relisted, so my guess is this one will have a high reserve on it also. Too bad since I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8266522

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8266467
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Awesome!! A friend of mine has a complete treadle. They don't show up very often!
Originally Posted by jljack
Look at this machine!! 1862 Singer Letter A... Now at $685. What a looker!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180698913313
Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 PM

I'm betting on a 28/128 due to the depth of the base. Wouldn't you think someone would have tried a small screw driver??
Miriam, it's close to you!
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy