Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Randa, this one is still for sale...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/atq/2426926820.html

You want the tan one? I thought you wanted the black 301!

Here is the ad of the one I bought today...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/atq/2489079605.html

:-D

Hey, yours came with a "buttonier"!! I would rather have a corsage, but I guess you take what you can get.
One of my 301s will go on my craigslist-find Grace frame. Will have to sew with both to determine which one to use.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu

Big mud daubers nest. Got one of those out of the needle end of a machine. Ewww is right.
Just like balls of cement! This one was all up in the pillar. Plus there were about 3 more in various places in the cabinet--much easier to reach though.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Hey, yours came with a "buttonier"!! I would rather have a corsage, but I guess you take what you can get.
One of my 301s will go on my craigslist-find Grace frame. Will have to sew with both to determine which one to use.
The 'buttonier' turned out to be the buttonhole maker! :-D
Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Bennett, I loved seeing that restoration you did on the cabinet. I am having someone look at a treadle cabinet for me today, and it is probably going to need work...apparently found in someone's garage...eeekkk!! Don't have a clue how it really looks...pics were dark and shadowy. Anyway, it's for my 66-1 I just got, so the old machine in it will be a door stop for now!! It looked in pretty bad shape anyway!! You inspired me that I can really do something good with this old cabinet if I get it!! Thanks again!
It's not perfect by any means, the top is still wavy, but at least the veneer is all glued down now! Just took some patience and basic tools. I found lots of info out there about refinishing/repairing wood furniture.

Hope the cabinet is in good shape and you get it!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Guess what?

I bought my second Singer 301, tan... with original manual, buttonhole maker, attachments and original cabinet. It is DIRTY! I don't even want it in our home.

My turn to do the happy dance. Will be posting photos tomorrow, I hope. Paid $70. Another craigslist find. Love that site. :-D
If it's too dirty for your house...send her my way! She's the one I'm waiting for! And since you already have one....{hint} {hint}!!

Randa. there is a tan 301 for sale at a good price on the Sew Its for Sale yahoo site. If you want more info, PM me and I can email the info to you.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett
Bennett, I loved seeing that restoration you did on the cabinet. I am having someone look at a treadle cabinet for me today, and it is probably going to need work...apparently found in someone's garage...eeekkk!! Don't have a clue how it really looks...pics were dark and shadowy. Anyway, it's for my 66-1 I just got, so the old machine in it will be a door stop for now!! It looked in pretty bad shape anyway!! You inspired me that I can really do something good with this old cabinet if I get it!! Thanks again!
It's not perfect by any means, the top is still wavy, but at least the veneer is all glued down now! Just took some patience and basic tools. I found lots of info out there about refinishing/repairing wood furniture.

Hope the cabinet is in good shape and you get it!
Check out "The Furniture Doctor" by George Grotz It's kind of dated any more but good info anyway and it is a fantastic read.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Guess what?

I bought my second Singer 301, tan... with original manual, buttonhole maker, attachments and original cabinet. It is DIRTY! I don't even want it in our home.

My turn to do the happy dance. Will be posting photos tomorrow, I hope. Paid $70. Another craigslist find. Love that site. :-D
If it's too dirty for your house...send her my way! She's the one I'm waiting for! And since you already have one....{hint} {hint}!!

I do prefer black, but it's a 301 I want, no matter the color. Since I'm in Iowa I wonder what shipping would cost from WAshington?? And the date on this is either 6-7 or 7-6, (do they automaticly go off CL after so many days?)so will make a call on it. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny]

That is funny! Some ads just have to be read twice!

Nancy
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Bennett, I loved seeing that restoration you did on the cabinet. I
Hi back to Bennett and Glenn, and others who are in the refinishing mode.

I found a beat up, falling apart parlor type cabinet. No machine head or irons for the treadle. It has all drawers, doors and such. Thing was a showpiece in it's day, built like old furnature. Looks like burl walnut veneer over solid wood, not ply. I was going to scavenge parts, but turns out it's a White Cabinet #9 from around 1886 and would have taken a VSII or VSIII machine. Very unusual.

How best to proceed?

I'm concerned about how dry, light the wood is. Is there a good way to rejuve 1880's wood? No signs of worm holes or chews.

The old glue is defunct. All the joins are coming apart. The veneer, which was a sheet over the boards, is cracked top to bottom where the boards were glued edge to edge to form each side. Should I plan on totally breaking apart the boards (sacrificing veneer), to reglue the boards? Or should I attempt to get glue into the old joints, without fully taking apart the sides of the cabinet? Most of the corner joins have already fallen apart on their own, no problem with those. But here I'm talking about how 'base' boards were glued edge to edge to form each side panel for the cabinet, then the panels were veneered and decorated with wood figurals.

Which/what glue would you recommend for old, dried out 1880 wood? Rockler has some specialty wood cabinet making glues, but to be honest... I've never used anything but regular 'wood' glue. Never had a need. This piece however, is really cabinet art. I could use some recommendations on what you experts have used/liked.

Thanks all. kim in north palm beach
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Check out "The Furniture Doctor" by George Grotz It's kind of dated any more but good info anyway and it is a fantastic read.
I forgot I had this book. AMAZING book.. Dated, but some things do not change. I'll go fish it out of my stack, I bet it has some answers/ideas for fixing up that 1880's cabinet I found. Still would appreciate any recommendation from the VSMS refinishers....