Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
It followed me home--Honest!! I stopped by Goodwill and they had nothing, as usual. The guy parked next to me was unloading his van full of stuff to donate to Goodwill. The first thing he pulled out was a two tone green cabinet. I asked if it was a sewing machine and he said yes, would I like it???? Well, I'd certainly like to see it. I took one look and said Yes ! He was thrilled, said his wife has had it two years and never did anything with it, so he was getting rid of it. I didn't even know the number until I got home to look it up. It is a 319W !!! Serial number W1669240. All the parts seem to be there, but only one cam. There are 3 bobbins and 3 needles. He was happy to be rid of it, and I was tickled "green". Are they collectable??? Much newer than what I am used to.

When did they make these machines???

Texas Jan
I have cams
Do you have the machine, too???
Texas Jan
I do not have the machine - I do have 4 or 5 cams in a box marked 306
Interested in selling them???

Texas Jan
Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Go back a few pages and I just asked about this exact machine. Great find!!
Did you buy it??? What was it selling for??
Texas Jan
No, it was for sale near me, but I like the one you got better (green on green). They were selling the black one in a nice cabinet for $80 and I have to say the ad was up a while. I think this machine is going to put off a lot of people, because it uses specialty (expensive) needles. I don't know what attachments or cams were with it.
Interesting--Thanks,

Texas Jan
Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
http://www.servirem.com.ar/nueva.html tells when 319 and all machines are made.The 319 is 1955-57.
Thanks, I bookmarked that page. It's a keeper.

Texas Jan
Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

It followed me home--Honest!! I stopped by Goodwill and they had nothing, as usual. The guy parked next to me was unloading his van full of stuff to donate to Goodwill. The first thing he pulled out was a two tone green cabinet. I asked if it was a sewing machine and he said yes, would I like it???? Well, I'd certainly like to see it. I took one look and said Yes ! He was thrilled, said his wife has had it two years and never did anything with it, so he was getting rid of it. I didn't even know the number until I got home to look it up. It is a 319W !!! Serial number W1669240. All the parts seem to be there, but only one cam. There are 3 bobbins and 3 needles. He was happy to be rid of it, and I was tickled "green". Are they collectable??? Much newer than what I am used to.

When did they make these machines???

Texas Jan
I have cams
Do you have the machine, too???
Texas Jan
I do not have the machine - I do have 4 or 5 cams in a box marked 306
Interested in selling them???

Texas Jan
ain't doin' any good setting in a box
send pm
Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

If your in the St Louis area here is an awesome deal on a 301 and not just any 301!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/fuo/2521208629.html

Billy
Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 PM

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/2517149361.html

Nancy

I've seen this machine with many badges on it. I think Necchi sold these as clones to different folks who put their own label on it. So, I don't believe it to be a rare machine at all. Though, if Necchi made it, it's sure to be a very reliable and wonderful machine. If you buy it, but it for that not because it's rare. Because these are out there on the market with lots of different names on them.
Candace, I have been all over the internet and yes the Necchi does look similar, but not the same as this machine. The very early Necchi, looks nothing like this machine. The Necchi made in the 50's does look similar but has a completely different hand wheel. I am not sure it is a Necchi Clone, but I will find out! The very early Necchi treadles look more like a Singer 101, and the later Necchi's made in the 50's that are similar to this machine aren't treadles - at least I don't see any that have the spoked hand wheel that look like this machine? Interesting.

Nancy
Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/2517149361.html

Nancy

I've seen this machine with many badges on it. I think Necchi sold these as clones to different folks who put their own label on it. So, I don't believe it to be a rare machine at all. Though, if Necchi made it, it's sure to be a very reliable and wonderful machine. If you buy it, but it for that not because it's rare. Because these are out there on the market with lots of different names on them.
Candace, I have been all over the internet and yes the Necchi does look similar, but not the same as this machine. The very early Necchi, looks nothing like this machine. The Necchi made in the 50's does look similar but has a completely different hand wheel. I am not sure it is a Necchi Clone, but I will find out! The very early Necchi treadles look more like a Singer 101, and the later Necchi's made in the 50's that are similar to this machine aren't treadles - at least I don't see any that have the spoked hand wheel that look like this machine? Interesting.

Nancy
I'm wondering if the lever by the knob is reverse or stitch length?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
W&W machines are awesome machines. You don't say what models you're looking at...the D-9 has steel presser feet, the earlier models have the glass inserts. The presser feet and attachments can be hard to find, but they do show up on ebay...
These machines commonly have a lot of wear to the decals, and rarely do you find one in perfect shape. You're going to look for all the things that you would normally look for in a vintage machine....condition, movement, etc. The cabinets are an asthetic issue, and totally up to you. (Would depend on the machine model for me) I think the D9 (seems to be the most commonly found) is about the only machine I'd be picky about decals on...
Keep in mind that the needles for ALL of the W&W machines are obsolete...but they are starting to come out with replacement needles again...I've seen them on ebay....
What kind of prices are we talking about?
Her price is $20 and she doesn't know anything more than the name. She also has a White rotary for $20. May come home with 2 instead of one. These were either grands or great grandmothers machines. She has a whole lot of attachments and bits and pieces but doesn't know what goes to what. What would the decals look like? Are you talking name declas or something ornate like the early Singers?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
W&W machines are awesome machines. You don't say what models you're looking at...the D-9 has steel presser feet, the earlier models have the glass inserts. The presser feet and attachments can be hard to find, but they do show up on ebay...
These machines commonly have a lot of wear to the decals, and rarely do you find one in perfect shape. You're going to look for all the things that you would normally look for in a vintage machine....condition, movement, etc. The cabinets are an asthetic issue, and totally up to you. (Would depend on the machine model for me) I think the D9 (seems to be the most commonly found) is about the only machine I'd be picky about decals on...
Keep in mind that the needles for ALL of the W&W machines are obsolete...but they are starting to come out with replacement needles again...I've seen them on ebay....
What kind of prices are we talking about?
Her price is $20 and she doesn't know anything more than the name. She also has a White roptary for $20. May come home with 2 instead of one. These were either grands or great grandmothers machines. She has a whole lot os attachments and bits and pieces but doesn't know what goes to what. What would the decals look like? Are you talking name declas or something ornate like the early Singers?

Chris, there are photos of my W&W 8 on page 4 of the vintage machines photo thread. ALL of the decals on the W&W machines are delicate. For $20 you can't really go wrong...I'd buy both of them...the attachments are easy to tell the difference and to sort out.

Make sure you get the names of the ladies that have owned them if you can, makes the machine a lot more interesting in my eyes... :)
Old 07-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??
Looks like a 406 to me...but wait for a second/third/fourth opinion!! :lol:
I think that's a Singer 306.
No I think I'm wrong. Looks more like the Singer 319.

comparison link: http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/S...19forsale.html

It sure looks like a 319. Thanks for the link. Those weird typewriter keys on the top are very interesting! I guess this is one of those models that never really took off since you just don't see them? Anyone own one?
Definitely a 319. I have a green two tone one. The typewriter keys are a tell and if you look just below the stitch lentgh adjuster, there is a little plate which also says the model. I found a free manual online. It mainly tries to convince the owner how easy it is to use. LOL
O.K. Now I know why it looks familiar. I recently watched a YouTube video of a green 319 that had been converted to a treadle. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVL...E82789647888E5

I thought it looked pretty cool but I guess the bobbin, on that model, is inconvenient to change (you have to do it from underneath the machine :shock: ) so maybe that's why you don't see too many of them. After watching the video, though, I wanted to get one :-D :roll: