Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Charlee, I am glad you are posting again. I missed your wonderful input. You were always so uplifting and added a lot to this VSMS. Glenn
:) Thanks for the warm "welcome homes" everyone! I appreciate them!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Originally Posted by Charlee
Would this work on my 1924 ... 99 sewing machine?

Singer Foot Controller

Three hole on plug

Label on Back states:
volts 95-145
Part No. 194584

Good used condition
On Ebay .... 5 days left 2 bids price @ $10.50
That should work with your machine Rose... My 99 is nearly like it, but has a knee lever so the foot pedal part wouldn't work with mine...
If you buy it and it doesn't work, let me know!! ;)
Thanks Charlee, I posted a bid and will see how it goes from here.
Yep any foot pedal with that type of Singer plugin and has the power cord will work. That type of set up was used on several type of machines including the Featherweights.

Billy
Oh cool, so one of my featherweight foot pedals will work!! I have two and I can just use that... I will still keep an eye out on a good buy to have one just for it! Thanks for this information! :)

Sharon
Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
PJisChaos,
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience trying to date your Domestic. Coincidentally, I called today to date mine and received a date, 1948, and was asked whether I needed anything else. The lady who helped me was named Rita. Maybe you should call them back. Also, as far as I know these machines were not made in Japan.
Jan
Oh the gal I talked to was nice and all just didn't have any way to find info on it. It does say Made in Japan on the back plate, and I could swear I had seen Billy asking someone about looking on the underside to see if there was a JA number to help determine the Japanese made thing and possible a way to date it. But, can't for the life of me find those posts now. :(

The model# is 264R, serial# is 6246 and it does have 'J-C9' and 'J-A23' on the underside. Around 4a this morning, I was finally able to locate a free copy of the original owners manual.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok , I have just gotten this 1924 Singer 99. She needs some work... belt, light cord replaced, electric cord with foot pedal! I wonder if there are electric cords/foot pedals with the three prong plug that is enterchangable with the 99?? Maybe someone could let me know via a pm. I also need manuals for her too. :) Thanks for any help.

I forgot to mention, I got her for $11.50. But she needs work!

Sharon

I am attaching some pictures of her :)
Sharon, I am so glad you are saving that 99. When I got my 99 with the 240 motor, we just went to our local repair man and bought the motor, cord, and pedal. If I remember right, it wasn't expensive either. Given that you only paid $11.50, a new cord and pedal would still keep that machine very resonably priced.

Nancy
Thanks Nancy! I need a couple of things for it to be tested out even. Belt, light kit, I wonder if you can just get the rubber wheel that goes to the bobbin winder .... or will I have to purchase the whole attachment part.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Ok , I have just gotten this 1924 Singer 99. She needs some work... belt, light cord replaced, electric cord with foot pedal! I wonder if there are electric cords/foot pedals with the three prong plug that is enterchangable with the 99?? Maybe someone could let me know via a pm. I also need manuals for her too. :) Thanks for any help.

I forgot to mention, I got her for $11.50. But she needs work!

Sharon

I am attaching some pictures of her :)
Sharon, I am so glad you are saving that 99. When I got my 99 with the 240 motor, we just went to our local repair man and bought the motor, cord, and pedal. If I remember right, it wasn't expensive either. Given that you only paid $11.50, a new cord and pedal would still keep that machine very resonably priced.

Nancy
Thanks Nancy! I need a couple of things for it to be tested out even. Belt, light kit, I wonder if you can just get the rubber wheel that goes to the bobbin winder .... or will I have to purchase the whole attachment part.
The Singer store carries the belt and the tire for the bobbin winder or at least mine does here. Billy can help you out to on this. There are several sites on the net that sells them to. Glenn
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Everyone, I was finally able to pick up this Singer 15. It was born in 1950 and it has a potted motor-- I have one from 1905 and the motor is bolted behind the pillar not high up like the potted motor. I thought they would be the same. Did they still use the potted motor in 1950? I had to disconnect the cord to take it out of the cabinet. I noticed the finish where the stitch regulater is the same as the machine. I don't think there is a separate cover piece. This came in a cabinet.. Queen Anne legs. Lots of scratches so I'm going to sand it down and then paint it. Anne
Anne, I would be willing to bet the 15 from 1905 with the bolted on motor was not 'born' that way. It was quite common for people to bolt a motor on their favorite machines when electricity became widely available to private homes around the 20's and 30's.

Congratulations on your new 15! I love those 15'.

Nancy
Hi Nancy, there's been conversation about "blackside" machines and I'm wondering about the "Singer 15" I picked up. You commented about it regarding the Potted vs bolted motors. Are there partial blackside machines? My 15 has the black tensioner ,stitch regulator and the handwheel is all black. the face plate and bobbin cover are chrome.. I think. Would this be considered a blackside? Anne
Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 PM

Rose; My 1924 99 needed a bobbin winder. I got it at the local Singer/SewNVac store today for either $1 or $1.25. The replacement lightbulb was more expensive than the bobbin winder tire. It should take a medium; at least mine does. Hope this helps. ~ Chris
Old 05-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am looking at a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine Model 30 to purchase for my grandkids. It looks like a work horse and indestructible. Anyone have one?
I have one just like it. Bought it some years ago before I got into collecting much. I just had to have it because it's bounces from being totally ugly to totally cool. I just couldn't decide what it was but I knew I wanted it. I have to admit I have not sewn with it. I just look at it everyday along with some of my others. I think I might have an addiction of some sort. lol
Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM

My understanding about the blackside stuff is that there were what they call running changes. They would just dump new parts and accessories in the box and you might just have something that the person who put it together just grabbed different vintage parts as they assembled it originally.

Or I suppose it's possible some were replacement parts. I think they went to the blackside during the war years when chrome was needed for war material not the home front. Tho I'm not sure how many domestic sewing machines were produced. Somewhere I saw a badged RAF (UK Royal Air Force ) machine, don't remember if it was here :)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Found a website with decals for the F/W's for those of you that were asking a while back.

www.whitesewingcenter.com/page2.php

They have 3 different styles.