Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Spotted in the Wild today:

A green Necchi...pretty good shape, $15
A little black "SewMaster" $50
A Singer 401A in a cabinet $35
A Domestic with chocolate textured finish and attachments $30

None of them came home with me...but another "Little Girl" pincushion doll, like the one with the blue dress on my shelf, only this one has a pink dress and a scissor holder...and a covered wagon pincushion..
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I must have been feeling nastalgic or something this morn. I got to thinking about this obsession I seem to have acquired. For 20 some years, my life revolved around my kids, then the grandkids started coming along, and I wrapped my life around them, as well. Now they are mostly getting "too old" to spend as much time with gram. So, we are "empty nesters" now and old habits die real hard. I have a cat and a dog and about 24 sewing machines. I guess you could say I have wrapped my life around this quilting and vintage sewing machine thing! I guess it's better than curling up and doing nothing!! LOL By the way, have I said lately how much I enjoy this site and all the "friends" I have made here? Well, I just said it again! I faithfully read every page of this thread, I don't post a lot, unless I have a question or feel confident enough to put in my two cents worth, but I read every word, sometimes twice!!!! Thanks all.
I believe I'm in a transition period of my life too. I'm happy to have picked up quilting after an extremely long hiatus and my discovery of sewing with vintage machines. I too enjoy the company of this thread, the support from all, the enablers, and the sharing of information- it's like an extended family! Thanks!!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by grannysewer
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by grannysewer
Question for Glenn, Can I glue the covering of my featherweight case back on? And what kind of glue would I use? Thanks
Are you talking about the original covering that is loose are a new covering? Yes you can but the old glue must be removed with acetone first. Glue will not stick to old dirty glue. You can use a good contact cement very thin or a spray contact glue.
Yes, its the orginial covering and theres enough of it that I think I can make it work. Any suggestion for a subsititute covering if I have to redo the whole thing?
I have no recomendations for subsitiude for a replacement but any good quality canvas back vinyl will work. Billy may know a source for material. If you FW case is black it will be easy to find a replacement. Make sure the spray contact is a good quality comercial grade for durabilty. After you glue down the old cover use a roller to make sure it is tight and smooth.
glenn
Thanks for you input. bobbie
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM

Charlee,
That White Number 8 of yours has gorgeous decals! I have never seen a photo of a White #8. Thanks for posting in the photo shop thread that machine.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM

Well, I picked up that machine and am trying to identify it.

I went to the website suggested here, http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers, and am not sure I can find it. On an oval plate in front of the base is G0062681.

I assume it is a single letter prefix, but when I go to that page, I do not see anything for 000. Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong number?

Thank you for your help!

By the way, she came with a lot of bobbins.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Charlee,
That White Number 8 of yours has gorgeous decals! I have never seen a photo of a White #8. Thanks for posting in the photo shop thread that machine.
Thanks VM! :) Evidently White only made these for a year or two...the lady tells me this one was made in 1934. I'm sure fond of it...just need to find that friction wheel WITH the notch...have one without, but can't wind the bobbin that way!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
Well, I picked up that machine and am trying to identify it.

I went to the website suggested here, http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers, and am not sure I can find it. On an oval plate in front of the base is G0062681.

I assume it is a single letter prefix, but when I go to that page, I do not see anything for 000. Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong number?

Thank you for your help!

By the way, she came with a lot of bobbins.
When you click on the singer link that you posted, then single letter prefix, now click on the red-highlighted 'G-Series' which is about half way down the page on the right hand side. The pdf file will save to your computer, open it and on the 3rd line down is the numerical range....

G- 40001 90000 15 50000 January 8 1910

So it's a Class 15, with 50,000 serial numbers allocated on 8th January 1910 at the Elizabeth New Jersey factory.

'Tis a little confusing at first but after a few tries you'll get the hang of it!! LOL

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn :lol:
Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I must have been feeling nastalgic or something this morn. I got to thinking about this obsession I seem to have acquired. For 20 some years, my life revolved around my kids, then the grandkids started coming along, and I wrapped my life around them, as well. Now they are mostly getting "too old" to spend as much time with gram. So, we are "empty nesters" now and old habits die real hard. I have a cat and a dog and about 24 sewing machines. I guess you could say I have wrapped my life around this quilting and vintage sewing machine thing! I guess it's better than curling up and doing nothing!! LOL By the way, have I said lately how much I enjoy this site and all the "friends" I have made here? Well, I just said it again! I faithfully read every page of this thread, I don't post a lot, unless I have a question or feel confident enough to put in my two cents worth, but I read every word, sometimes twice!!!! Thanks all.
Ditto, me the same.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
When you click on the singer link that you posted, then single letter prefix, now click on the red-highlighted 'G-Series' which is about half way down the page on the right hand side. The pdf file will save to your computer, open it and on the 3rd line down is the numerical range....

G- 40001 90000 15 50000 January 8 1910

So it's a Class 15, with 50,000 serial numbers allocated on 8th January 1910 at the Elizabeth New Jersey factory.

'Tis a little confusing at first but after a few tries you'll get the hang of it!! LOL

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn :lol:

Yes, it helps! I'll study it and see what comes of that. Thanks for helping me find the info on my girl!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Ya' know, if this site were booze, I'd be an alcoholic!!! I need a recovery system/intervention!!
I have to get some work done!! Please, drag me away from here! I have even quit reading the "quilting" part of this board...just hanging with the "wrong" crowd...that's all of you enablers!!! LOL!! I really do have to get things done! Son is coming home to visit from Tennessee and am afraid he will call an intervention if I don't move some things around! LOL!!!
You and me both. Imagine being a telecommuter and avid member of this site... Luckily I am retiring in 6 days and counting.
You are a lady after my heart. I am living for that day.