Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
I stopped in here 2 weeks ago to get some information.....

I now have 4 older machines, a Necchi, a 99, a 27 and an older white 770. Currently have 5 machine heads awaiting pickup 2 hours away..

I am mad at all of you, my family is now talking about an intervention.

p.s. why am I still looking at machines...

Now if you don't mind, I must go back to reading, I am up to page 170!!
They're just like rabbits, aren't they? I'm looking around my living room (no garage, and too hot to work outside) and I see a 99k with a cabinet that needs some work, a 127 that's been gutted, a treadle cabinet with nothing in it (had the 127 in it), a 201 in a cabinet, and a 15-91 in a cabinet (set up with the quilt I should have finished by now). It's a good thing the dogs don't care, or I'd be up the creek! :)

Oh, and I'm up to about page 450 or so with reading, skimming, and drooling when I have a few free moments.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

They ARE like rabbits. It is scary to have this affliction. They keep following me home. Used to be every house had a sewing machine. Now NOBODY (well, there are a few of us) wants to have anything to do with an old sewing machine.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Ok, I didn't want to, but I think I'm going to have to-the treadle irons need repainted. I was hoping just to wax the bare spots, but now that I've got the dust and grime off, there's more bare than paint in too many places.

I know that *somewhere* I saw directions on how to take the table off the irons, and how to dismantle the irons, but now (of course), I can't find that site/page. I thought it was on Treadle On, but if it is, I'm not seeing it.

So, does anybody have any words of wisdom, or directions, or helpful links before I wing it?

Turn that cabinet up on it's top and take out the screws that hold the drawers on and the four screws that hold the legs on.
BUT first take the machine out of the cabinet with two screws at the back bottom of the machine. Then pull those legs right off there. The irons will come apart by taking out the screws but that is not necessary. Have at it and let us know how it turns out.

:lol:
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM

I just finished a set of irons, I didn't want to take it apart and risk messing up the table top, so I took off the easy stuff and used a wire grinder for most of it, then took a small wheel on my dremmel to get the hard to reach spots. Used a spray paint, black hammered, to paint it up. I am very pleased with the outcome! Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
Just read post prior to mine, I guess I should have said that mine was NOT a cabinet, but a table. So probly much easier to access the irons.

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Ok, I didn't want to, but I think I'm going to have to-the treadle irons need repainted. I was hoping just to wax the bare spots, but now that I've got the dust and grime off, there's more bare than paint in too many places.

I know that *somewhere* I saw directions on how to take the table off the irons, and how to dismantle the irons, but now (of course), I can't find that site/page. I thought it was on Treadle On, but if it is, I'm not seeing it.

So, does anybody have any words of wisdom, or directions, or helpful links before I wing it?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:13 PM

I must have been feeling nastalgic or something this morn. I got to thinking about this obsession I seem to have acquired. For 20 some years, my life revolved around my kids, then the grandkids started coming along, and I wrapped my life around them, as well. Now they are mostly getting "too old" to spend as much time with gram. So, we are "empty nesters" now and old habits die real hard. I have a cat and a dog and about 24 sewing machines. I guess you could say I have wrapped my life around this quilting and vintage sewing machine thing! I guess it's better than curling up and doing nothing!! LOL By the way, have I said lately how much I enjoy this site and all the "friends" I have made here? Well, I just said it again! I faithfully read every page of this thread, I don't post a lot, unless I have a question or feel confident enough to put in my two cents worth, but I read every word, sometimes twice!!!! Thanks all.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by grannysewer
Originally Posted by jljack
Went junking for my birthday last week and found a featherweight that needs TLC and a Wheeler Wilson that I'm not too sure about.
The featherweight was made April 10, 1940 in Elizabeth, NJ.
The WW's number is 3033849 and says it a D-9, have looked for it on web, but no luck. Anyone who has info, please help. bobbie
That W&W D9 is the same as the Singer W9; when Singer bought out W&W they kept making this one...that's what others here have said, so I am just passing that on.
So, I could look up Singer W9 and get info?
I just looked up Billy explantion on this site from Oct '09 and mine is not supposed to have decals. Don't know about the treadle yet.
:?: Both the W&W D-9 AND the Singer 9W have decals...I'm confused as to why they wouldn't...other than they wear off really easy...
I was hoping it should have decals, but it looks exactly like Billy's on his post. So maybe we both got really old beat up ones.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buslady
I must have been feeling nastalgic or something this morn. I got to thinking about this obsession I seem to have acquired. For 20 some years, my life revolved around my kids, then the grandkids started coming along, and I wrapped my life around them, as well. Now they are mostly getting "too old" to spend as much time with gram. So, we are "empty nesters" now and old habits die real hard. I have a cat and a dog and about 24 sewing machines. I guess you could say I have wrapped my life around this quilting and vintage sewing machine thing! I guess it's better than curling up and doing nothing!! LOL By the way, have I said lately how much I enjoy this site and all the "friends" I have made here? Well, I just said it again! I faithfully read every page of this thread, I don't post a lot, unless I have a question or feel confident enough to put in my two cents worth, but I read every word, sometimes twice!!!! Thanks all.
Kind of scary since we name them, know their birthdays and share their pictures.... they do have their personalities too don't they. Yup sort of like having kids around again.

My sister is like you. She doesn't post but she hangs in there with checking everything out. Hey, I'm open for pm's too.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Ya' know, if this site were booze, I'd be an alcoholic!!! I need a recovery system/intervention!!
I have to get some work done!! Please, drag me away from here! I have even quit reading the "quilting" part of this board...just hanging with the "wrong" crowd...that's all of you enablers!!! LOL!! I really do have to get things done! Son is coming home to visit from Tennessee and am afraid he will call an intervention if I don't move some things around! LOL!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Ya' know, if this site were booze, I'd be an alcoholic!!! I need a recovery system/intervention!!
I have to get some work done!! Please, drag me away from here! I have even quit reading the "quilting" part of this board...just hanging with the "wrong" crowd...that's all of you enablers!!! LOL!! I really do have to get things done! Son is coming home to visit from Tennessee and am afraid he will call an intervention if I don't move some things around! LOL!!!
You and me both. Imagine being a telecommuter and avid member of this site... Luckily I am retiring in 6 days and counting.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Here's one someone needs to get. Too rich for my blood.

Old hand crank chain stitch.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/2504462235.html