Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-12-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I was in a thrift store today and got real excited and bought a 500A, for $30. The machine looked to be in good shape and the cabinet was not bad. Hubby brought it home as I had class. I got home and looked at it I discovered that there were no cams with it. I can not go on e-bay as my computer will not let me in. Does any one have any cams that they would like to sell me? Kathie
Kathie's 500A - Rocketeer!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225253[/ATTACH]

Cabinet for the 500A
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225254[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225247.jpe   attachment-225248.jpe  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
Hi everyone, I am here to join your group, I have wanted a treadle for a long time and my sister bought me one for my birthday 2 yrs ago and she just brought her home to me. It is definitely a Singer treadle but I don't know alot about it since I can't seem to lift her out of the cabinet it has this weird corner on the top so it gets caught, the top has alittle damage but from what I have read probably something I can fix. The outside of the drawers look almost carved they are beautiful. The other odd thing is the fact that the treadle seems to close to the floor?? Anyway I will try to post a picture of her ASAP, and will need as much help as I can get to get her looking as good as the other girls on the board. I haven't named her yet since I don't know much about her but will when I get some info. Hoping all of you can help me bring out her beauty, I read somewhere on here not to clean the decals with soap and water but of course can't find the post anywhere. Will await your instructions. Thanks
Welcome aboard Arianna! You will love the treadle once you get used to using it! Beautiful machine and cabinet! I also have that cabinet!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Launie
Couple things... Picked up the treadle cabinet from my mom. Her dad was the sewing machine repair guy for years and years. Two years ago when settling out the estate, there were a ton of sewing machines in his basement, but I had a brand-new Pfaff and why would I need a 70yr old tank? Stupid me didn't realize 70yr old tanks sew circles around new machines!
A few weeks ago, after finding this board, I ask my mom if she had any more of those machines. Enter Old Ironsides- a 1935 Singer 15-91. Who runs fabulous, btw. Thanks to this forum and mucho oil.
So the treadle cabinet has been in my moms garage for the last two years and I picked it up and brought it home today. Old Ironsides fits great. The cabinet is in really good shape and I have already put the drawers to good use holding odds and ends.

Now the other night I was doing a bit of sewing on O.I. and the bobbin threads are all squiggly. Any ideas as to why?
Launie, that is a Singer Model 15-91 and one of the best machines ever made! I love those 15's! That machine drops it's feed dogs for free motion quilting! You have a great machine and cabinet! Make sure your machine is threaded correctly, make sure you have a 'new' needle, adjust the tension ever so slightly and sew until you get it right! That machine makes a perfect stitch!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny]If your treadle is sitting on carpet, it can make it very hard (or impossible) to treadle. [quote]

Miz Johnny, I think it depends on the length of your carpet? All my treadles are on carpet and I have no trouble treadling any of them except Betty, my Davis. She is work to treadle - I get a good work out everytime I put a binding on with that treadle!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Took pics of newly acquired Brother. I'm hoping they upload.
Weedwoman, I love the two tone machines! I hope you are able to find the parts you need!

Nancy
Me too but I have no idea where to begin the search. Any ideas? TIA
I'd search e-bay and some of the shops on-line for Brother parts. I don't have a Brother so I have not had to find parts, but I bet you can find them. The Brother is a popular machine with tons of the vintage ones out there still being used!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 04:58 AM

I was given a Margart sewing machine today. It said made in Japan. It was the size of a F W. What can you tell me about this sewing machine? Hubby took it home when the person realized that her mother-in-law gave it to her to display in her shop. I gave it back :(. The decals were perfect and were really cute flowers. Kathie
Kathie, if the machine was called Margart, small like a FW, and made in Japan, it was probably one of the 99 clones. After the war Japan made 15 clones and 99 clones. I would have loved to see a picture of the machine.

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by tomilu
Rescued this Bernina Bernette from thrift store. It is a model 705. After her beauty treatment and a new bobbin case and power/food cord, she is ready to go. Supposedly made by Riccar for Bernina. It has a few different stitches and makes buttonholes. Not bad for an older gal.
Tommie
Now she has a new home with a young lady who is recovering from knee surgery and decided to learn to sew. All her family sews-mom, sisters. She was so excited to get it.
Tommie
Wow Tommie, that was fast! You just got that machine! I think that is a perfect machine for a young lady - pretty two tone! Good for you!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Has anyone here heard of the Century brand of sewing machine. It is a treadle. I'm going to look at one tomorrow so I was trying to find some info on it. The SN is 857553. The seller did tell me is uses the bullet type bobbin which is missing. Just want to be sure if I decide on it that I can get parts. :)
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/parts.html

I typed in Antique Sewing Machine Parts and found all sorts of sites. <wave>
Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I was in a thrift store today and got real excited and bought a 500A, for $30. The machine looked to be in good shape and the cabinet was not bad. Hubby brought it home as I had class. I got home and looked at it I discovered that there were no cams with it. I can not go on e-bay as my computer will not let me in. Does any one have any cams that they would like to sell me? Kathie
That is a really nice 500A!

Billy
Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 AM

I turned the needlebar around, and that part was a cinch--there's a small bolt going through it that holds it on, so there's no way to get THAT part wrong. Also managed to tighten up the handle on the crank, and reset the HC wheel itself, which had moved out a bit too far. Now it stitches, but have two problems that I'm mulling over. 1st is stitch length--set at longest length, it makes tiny little stitches, and 2nd is that thread breaks after an inch or so. I do have a 2nd K & M, head only, that I'm going to get out and look over for comparison. And THAT, dear friends, is why you MUST have two of everything!! [quote=Phyllis nm][quote=Miz Johnny]Since it's a chainstitch, I THINK it will be a little easier--though I don't know for sure. Guess I'll find out. I've changed out needlebars on other machines though, so we'll see.[quote=miriam][quote=Miz Johnny]Lately I've been working on my machines using cardboard flats--they work really well at keeping table tops clean AND catching screws, etc. as they fall.

I worked on my Kruse and Murphy HC a bit over the weekend, but couldn't quite figure out the needle and couldn't make it stitch. I could see the way the needle SHOULD go in, but the only way it fit was backwards. Of course, it wouldn't stitch properly, and kept breaking threads. Finally, someone asked if the needlebar might possibly be backwards. Darned if they weren't right. I haven't taken it apart and put it back together the RIGHT way, but will get around to it eventually, I guess.
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by miriam
they have 13 screws in them and I'm dreading it if I loose one.
Do all of your work over a nice thick towel. This way if you drop a screw it won't go anywhere. Good luck on your cleaning :-D
I like the thick towel idea!!!! Brilliant!

The diapers will fit in the flats very well, save your towels.