Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Did you notice it's Amerikan!! Not sure what that means exactly, but the spelling must mean something! LOL!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM

Happy New Year everyone!!

Here's that National Two Spools on eBay again in Idaho...now $99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-TWO-...item1c2256f482
Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
"Is there any way to adjust the take up lever - both had dried up oil on the side that rubs - is that the fix?"

Miriam,

I've broken takeup levers trying to bend them back into shape, necessitating replacements.
Is the rubbing on the body/ casting or on the faceplate? If on the body then I guess I'm saying I don't have an answer for you. If the rubbing is on the faceplate that would be easy to bend out the faceplate slightly.

Cathy
The Spartan rubs on the body - somebody knew it - there is a LOT of dried up oil on both the lever and the slot on that side. I've wondered about filing some off the place where it rubs and then repainting a dab - it's a barely used machine probably for that reason. The Spartan also has the pressure thumb screw almost all the way out. I'm wondering if someone stripped the threads on that - it does not want to turn easy. I left it for now.

The 99 barely rubs on the face plate in the down stroke - I loosened up the screw and figured a washer would keep it back enough to do the job for that one - the bottom face plate screw is missing. I think I have one somewhere or will pull it off the Spartan for now. The 99 too is a barely used machine.

Some how I doubt if swapping the take up levers would fix both machines... I just don't want to even think about that for more than a nanosecond.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:12 AM

There's a Singer 319 for sale on cL with all the cams. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2778806441.html
Texas Jan
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
There's a Singer 319 for sale on cL with all the cams. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2778806441.html
Texas Jan
Wow, someone ought to pick up that machine. I bet you could get it for a lot less if one of you guys made an offer, especially this time of year when everyone is broke! I love treadling my 319!

Nancy
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Happy New Year everyone!!

Here's that National Two Spools on eBay again in Idaho...now $99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-TWO-...item1c2256f482
Ok, I wish I were closer! My Two Spools is the best piecing machine I have! It has a perfect 1/4" foot - the original foot - and, it sews a really straight seam since both of the feeds dogs are the same length! Also, since it is a Two Spools it goes a very long time before I have to re-wind the bobbin thread spool! The Two Spools, the 15-88 treadle for free motion, and the 319w (in treadle) are my go to treadles now! Of course, I am fickle, because I love all my machines! But, seriously that Two Spools is the greatest piecing machine!

Nancy
Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
Sending some pics of my newest acquisition! Merry Christmas to me! Can't wait to get her belted and see if she sews. I'll need some direction as to threading her, since she has no paper work.
Randa, your Amerikan is made by New Home! I knew the minute I looked at it, but according to ISMACS it is made by New Home and takes a 20x1 needle! Congratulations!
Someone on here posted some great shots of the threading path for the New Home. I think it was Monica, so can you re-post those photos for Randa?
Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-02-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Ah, Miz Johnny, my thread never tangles, but on a 301 the bobbin runs out often when FMQ. Happy New Year to y'all.

AnnieRose's (301) latest - 1000 yards of thread and not one bird's nest or stitching issue. She may not be a pretty treadle, but she knows how to sew. BTW, the blue and gold were high school colors. I didn't just pull fabric from my stash. My son was pleased.
Irishrose, love the quilt! Is that a two sided quilt? You did a great job! Who is the girl? You said your son would be please? I'm confused, did I miss the thread where you told us who the girl is?

Nancy

I found out - your son's daughter! Beautiful girl!

Another question, you have your 301 in treadle?

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-02-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
A badged machine; more than likely exactly the same as the machines badged "Precision". I have yet to have one of those machines that didn't sew well.
Monica, of course Miz Johnny is right. That is one of the clones!

Nancy

Do any of you have the same problem I do with photos? I sometimes get the whole picture, other times I get 1/2 or 3/4 of the photo come through? I wonder if it is just my computer?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-02-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

My computer hides pictures or eats them or something - at any rate it doesn't talk to the QB at this time. I have a FW cleaning tutorial just waiting.... We cleaned up Mom's for Christmas.