Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I am in dire need of vintage bobbins for my 301 because she refuses to use the new ones meant for her. I only have one vintage bobbin and it's a pain cause I like to fill a few when I know I'm going to be putting in a full day sewing on her. Took her out to my friends house today to make preemie quilts and was very disappointed to find she refused the new bobbins. I even got one stuck on the bobbin winder and couldn't get it off, DH finally got it off, thank goodness. So if you know of anyplace to get some vintage bobbins or if anyone has any to part with, please let me know. TIA
Hmmmm that is odd because both of my 301's would use the new versions of them. Are you sure you got the ones for the 221, 301 and not a Bernina?

Billy
Have the blister pack right in front of me and it says "Singer Platinum Collection 4 bobbins metal for singer sewing machine models 221 & 301. I have no idea why my machine is being a putz about accepting them.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:38 PM

[quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Your yellow Brother turned "Buick", reminds me of one of my parents' car. It was a yellow Chrysler New Yorker. Man, was that car ever huge… a true tank! When it had mechanical problems, it was called the lemon. When the car was running well, we called it the tank. My parent held onto that car until it turned brown and died. Oh, and when it turn brown from rust spots, we called it the brown banana.

When I was a kid, my Dad had a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker,
yellow w/dark green top.
He called it the dirty old beast. That was a great car, it had a bigger radiator and a few other modifications so that it ran well in the desert. He was stationed in El Centro,California.
Sharon W.
I found a red with a white top 'Belaire' sewing machine a couple years ago. I mentioned it to my boss. He bugged me until I finally sold it to him. He LOVES it. He says his wife wouldn't let him have a Belaire car but he can have this one any time. He even taught her to sew on it. It's some kind of badged Japanese machine. Very cool looking and sews about anything.
That is too cute! I love that he taught her to sew on it!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

[quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Your yellow Brother turned "Buick", reminds me of one of my parents' car. It was a yellow Chrysler New Yorker. Man, was that car ever huge… a true tank! When it had mechanical problems, it was called the lemon. When the car was running well, we called it the tank. My parent held onto that car until it turned brown and died. Oh, and when it turn brown from rust spots, we called it the brown banana.

When I was a kid, my Dad had a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker,
yellow w/dark green top.
He called it the dirty old beast. That was a great car, it had a bigger radiator and a few other modifications so that it ran well in the desert. He was stationed in El Centro,California.
Sharon W.
I found a red with a white top 'Belaire' sewing machine a couple years ago. I mentioned it to my boss. He bugged me until I finally sold it to him. He LOVES it. He says his wife wouldn't let him have a Belaire car but he can have this one any time. He even taught her to sew on it. It's some kind of badged Japanese machine. Very cool looking and sews about anything.
That is too cute! I love that he taught her to sew on it!
I get a kick out of the whole thing. Maybe he thinks if she gets used to it he can convince her to get a vintage red and white Belaire car to match... I wonder if they made those machine for boys to learn on. I had a wizard exactly like the Belaire - two tone - gray metallic with cream on top - I wrote up an ad for boys and it sold to a lady with boys.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am in dire need of vintage bobbins for my 301 because she refuses to use the new ones meant for her. I only have one vintage bobbin and it's a pain cause I like to fill a few when I know I'm going to be putting in a full day sewing on her. Took her out to my friends house today to make preemie quilts and was very disappointed to find she refused the new bobbins. I even got one stuck on the bobbin winder and couldn't get it off, DH finally got it off, thank goodness. So if you know of anyplace to get some vintage bobbins or if anyone has any to part with, please let me know. TIA
Hmmmm that is odd because both of my 301's would use the new versions of them. Are you sure you got the ones for the 221, 301 and not a Bernina? Billy
Have the blister pack right in front of me and it says "Singer Platinum Collection 4 bobbins metal for singer sewing machine models 221 & 301. I have no idea why my machine is being a putz about accepting them.
I had the same issue with my 301. I pm'd Billy who told me to use Bernina bobbins which my Rebecca does like. Thankfully, I have a FW also and extra bobbins with her so we all share and are happy about it. Except mama (me) when she forgets that we're all sharing bobbins and being happy about it.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Ok...so here's the deal. William and I were going to go to Seattle tomorrow and deliver a car to be shipped to Germany. So...the first thing I do? Check the Craig's list for that and the surrounding areas! :lol: I see this ad:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/2464347541.html Serial number comes up as an 1904 model 15...so I email the guy and ask if he still has it and what he is asking for it. His response?

"Hi, i still have it. One offer at $400 so far.."

****SNORK**** I wrote back...told him that he might want to jump on that offer of $400, because other than extremely rare machines and cabinets, I've never seen one sell for that much!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Just read where someone used a hairdyer to loosen a screw. I can't wait to try it on my dirty old 237 Singer. The release knob on the handwheel keeps slipping and need to figure out if it can be adjusted or whatever. It stitches ok I think but slows down to a crawl and then stops when the knob loosens. ( refering to the knob you loosen to wind a bobbin) Any ideas anyone ?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM

I bought bobbins for my 301 from April1930s shop. They were exactly the same diameter and the same height as my single original bobbin but AnnieRose was temperamental about sewing with one. I looked at the two bobbins closely, then pinched the new ones together on the edges with pliers and now they work fine. It seems the outside edges were a little more defined than the original.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I bought bobbins for my 301 from April1930s shop. They were exactly the same diameter and the same height as my single original bobbin but AnnieRose was temperamental about sewing with one. I looked at the two bobbins closely, then pinched the new ones together on the edges with pliers and now they work fine. It seems the outside edges were a little more defined than the original.
Thanks, I'll get my vise grips out tomorrow and do a squeeze on one and see how it works. I'm sure hoping it's the answer for me.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I'm in hog heaven. I bought a used Elna SU back in 1975 and wore it out (seriously) by 1992. I borrowed a Good House Keeper - then someone bought a Viking for me so I gave back the GHK. When DD moved out I let her have the Viking and bought a Janome - HATED it. Then found a Singer 401G in the trash - fell in love (not at first sight... I had to see past a lot of ugly first...) Then yesterday I found an Elna SU on CL for $30. I never drove so fast in my life... It is in wonderful shape and has many parts and lots of discs. AND she threw in a sewing basket full of cool goodies. I won't know what to sew on from here on out... I've never had selection before. WOW!!!

You'll do what I do. Piece and quilt on the 401 (301 for me) and sew anything else on the Elna. You always make me nervous when you say your Elna wore out. I bought my Elna SU Star new in 1974 and she's still going strong. She has sewn everything from silk organza to leather belts.

WW, on the bobbins, I used pliers and pinched gently, turned it a quarter turn and repeated all the way around the outside edge. I didn't touch the center. May not work for you if yours got stuck on the bobbin filler.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Just read where someone used a hairdyer to loosen a screw. I can't wait to try it on my dirty old 237 Singer. The release knob on the handwheel keeps slipping and need to figure out if it can be adjusted or whatever. It stitches ok I think but slows down to a crawl and then stops when the knob loosens. ( refering to the knob you loosen to wind a bobbin) Any ideas anyone ?
open her up hand wheel knob and flip the little thing in the middle over, reassemble and try it again.