Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I need some help. I know I read this somewhere but can't find it now. How am I cleaning the attachments I have? Some are just crummy and some have a little rust on them. Some are rufflers with lots of crevices. Thanks for the help.
Try dipping in Evapo-Rust and then brushing with a toothbrush. :)
Does the Evapo-Rust then evapoate or do I rinse it off? I am afraid whatever I use will not "dry" completely.
I rinse and then blow it dry with my blowdryer just to make sure I get in all the little "hidden" areas.
I recently cleaned attachments by putting them in a vinegar solution and THOROUGHLY rinsing them in boiling water; patting them dry and putting them in a baking dish in the oven on low.** Vinegar removes rust also. You just have to make sure you get it rinsed well. They are very clean and don't even smell like pickles.

** would have worked to blow dry them... Charlee has a quicker mind than I do! LOL
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM

I have used vinegar on tools with good success, but it wasn't old rust. I have cleaned diry feet with an OxyClean bath and rinse, but no rust - just yellowed, hardened oil and lint. For rust, I'm probably going to use kerosene.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Thank you very much Charlee. I guess now I have to buy the Evapo Rust AND a blow dryer!
Get the Evapo Rust....let the blow dryer go...put them in the oven and heat them to about 250 degrees for about 20 minutes as long as they have no rubber parts.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I have used vinegar on tools with good success, but it wasn't old rust. I have cleaned diry feet with an OxyClean bath and rinse, but no rust - just yellowed, hardened oil and lint. For rust, I'm probably going to use kerosene.
Vinegar will work on rust, as will Coca Cola...you do have to watch how long you leave it in the solutions (straight for Coke, 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water for the vinegar) because they WILL eat the metals.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]Your yellow Brother turned "Buick", reminds me of one of my parents' car. It was a yellow Chrysler New Yorker. Man, was that car ever huge… a true tank! When it had mechanical problems, it was called the lemon. When the car was running well, we called it the tank. My parent held onto that car until it turned brown and died. Oh, and when it turn brown from rust spots, we called it the brown banana.

When I was a kid, my Dad had a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker,
yellow w/dark green top.
He called it the dirty old beast. That was a great car, it had a bigger radiator and a few other modifications so that it ran well in the desert. He was stationed in El Centro,California.
Sharon W.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JabezRose
Had a Singer 185A given to me today, just a bit heavier than my featherweights but actually close to the same size. Pea Green. Haven't plugged it in yet and given it a whirl. No bobbin, hopefully will have one around here to fit it.
Have a picture of it but not sure how to post it. Just wondered what I have, any suggestions, does need cleaning. Cord has quite a few splices in it, kind of afraid to plug it in.
It takes a class 66 bobbin. I think it weighs about 15# more than the Featherweight.
Download your pictures from your camera into your computer and then make a new post and click browse and it'll go to your pictures and find the one you want, click open and it'll post here.
Sharon W.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:43 PM

I am SO stinkin' excited!! I got an email from Mike this morning telling me that he does indeed have not only the spooler (bobbin winder) that I need, but he also has a full set of the glass presser foot inserts AND two metal ones...for my WW8!!
I've spun around in my chair so much since I got his email that I'm dizzy!!! :lol:
Those glass feet are amazing. :-D One of the advantages would be that they can't rust. :-D
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

[quote=purplefiend]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Your yellow Brother turned "Buick", reminds me of one of my parents' car. It was a yellow Chrysler New Yorker. Man, was that car ever huge… a true tank! When it had mechanical problems, it was called the lemon. When the car was running well, we called it the tank. My parent held onto that car until it turned brown and died. Oh, and when it turn brown from rust spots, we called it the brown banana.

When I was a kid, my Dad had a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker,
yellow w/dark green top.
He called it the dirty old beast. That was a great car, it had a bigger radiator and a few other modifications so that it ran well in the desert. He was stationed in El Centro,California.
Sharon W.
I found a red with a white top 'Belaire' sewing machine a couple years ago. I mentioned it to my boss. He bugged me until I finally sold it to him. He LOVES it. He says his wife wouldn't let him have a Belaire car but he can have this one any time. He even taught her to sew on it. It's some kind of badged Japanese machine. Very cool looking and sews about anything.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

I'm in hog heaven. I bought a used Elna SU back in 1975 and wore it out (seriously) by 1992. I borrowed a Good House Keeper - then someone bought a Viking for me so I gave back the GHK. When DD moved out I let her have the Viking and bought a Janome - HATED it. Then found a Singer 401G in the trash - fell in love (not at first sight... I had to see past a lot of ugly first...) Then yesterday I found an Elna SU on CL for $30. I never drove so fast in my life... It is in wonderful shape and has many parts and lots of discs. AND she threw in a sewing basket full of cool goodies. I won't know what to sew on from here on out... I've never had selection before. WOW!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I'm in hog heaven. I bought a used Elna SU back in 1975 and wore it out (seriously) by 1992. I borrowed a Good House Keeper - then someone bought a Viking for me so I gave back the GHK. When DD moved out I let her have the Viking and bought a Janome - HATED it. Then found a Singer 401G in the trash - fell in love (not at first sight... I had to see past a lot of ugly first...) Then yesterday I found an Elna SU on CL for $30. I never drove so fast in my life... It is in wonderful shape and has many parts and lots of discs. AND she threw in a sewing basket full of cool goodies. I won't know what to sew on from here on out... I've never had selection before. WOW!!!
Isn't it fun? I'm finishing up one project that I started on my Janome...and I need to work on my DJ quilt that I started on my 9W....and I am determined to use that WW8 for at least ONE project before I retire her again to just being "pretty"! Have to decide what I'm going to do... :) Now that I can wind the bobbin without running back and forth to the 9W!