Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
I wanted to share this with you: I love looking at all the old machines but have never bought one till this past weekend. I found her at an estate sale for $10.00. She reminded me of a car I have wanted to own all of my life. A 1957 T-Bird with the port hole window. Had to be tourquoise! I will never own the car,but here is the next best thing. She sews the fastest I have ever see a machine sew and is so quiet! I have heard zippers that are louder! What do you think...ain't she purdy!

She is gorgeous!! I love her color and she looks sleek and so uncomplicated! She has "good bones"!!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Wow, I have been out of pocket for a couple of months and have finally caught up the reading. Some pretty machines have surfaced for sure. I am trying to see the photo section, but here in Redneck, LA, I am still on dial-up internet, and it hates pics, coming and going. I do enjoy, as another member said, lusting after the machines. I got a New Home Domestic two tone green one for my birthday. It is in its original case but doesn't have the cams. My mom found it for $5 and is going to check with the flea market it came from to see if they have any info. It was still threaded, and sews a pretty stitch. Keep the pretty pics coming. I just have to load them slow.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Melinda, I live inHarahan, LA just outside of New Orleans. I am not familiar with Redneck, where exactly is it located?

Lucy
Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Charlee
I am SO stinkin' excited!! I got an email from Mike this morning telling me that he does indeed have not only the spooler (bobbin winder) that I need, but he also has a full set of the glass presser foot inserts AND two metal ones...for my WW8!!
I've spun around in my chair so much since I got his email that I'm dizzy!!! :lol:
Those glass feet are amazing. :-D One of the advantages would be that they can't rust. :-D
Congrats on getting what you needed for the WW8! I know I would be spinning too.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM

I am in dire need of vintage bobbins for my 301 because she refuses to use the new ones meant for her. I only have one vintage bobbin and it's a pain cause I like to fill a few when I know I'm going to be putting in a full day sewing on her. Took her out to my friends house today to make preemie quilts and was very disappointed to find she refused the new bobbins. I even got one stuck on the bobbin winder and couldn't get it off, DH finally got it off, thank goodness. So if you know of anyplace to get some vintage bobbins or if anyone has any to part with, please let me know. TIA
Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Charlee it is good having you back in the shop kiddo! I have been missing you and I am so excited for you and the goodies for your W&W#8!! Its nice that you have the bobbin winder finally and the inserts look like they were new.

I have been working on several machines in the house since I have no air in the studio thanks to the storms and I can not get overheated or be in the sun. My wife told me as long as I keep it to the one area and finish what I start then we are good. Oh that and no grease or oil on anything so I have a big thick piece of cardboard I put on the table with an old blanket to work on the machines. I cant do anything about the repaints until I hear from my dermatologist and see why my face is doing what it is from the snake bite but that will be Fridays dealings. For now I am just servicing them and doing the Kerosene baths out in the garage.

Billy
Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM

Charlee, I had a little sewing machine man in Joplin who had the same machine you have with the glass feet and all, it was in really good shape and he had lots of machines and parts galore. I'm so sad because his home was directly in the path of the killing tornado and I think he perished also. I'm sure he's in sewing machine heaven doing repairs and giving machine advise to some who have passed on.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I am in dire need of vintage bobbins for my 301 because she refuses to use the new ones meant for her. I only have one vintage bobbin and it's a pain cause I like to fill a few when I know I'm going to be putting in a full day sewing on her. Took her out to my friends house today to make preemie quilts and was very disappointed to find she refused the new bobbins. I even got one stuck on the bobbin winder and couldn't get it off, DH finally got it off, thank goodness. So if you know of anyplace to get some vintage bobbins or if anyone has any to part with, please let me know. TIA
Hmmmm that is odd because both of my 301's would use the new versions of them. Are you sure you got the ones for the 221, 301 and not a Bernina?

Billy
Old 06-27-2011, 05:08 PM

But a blow drier works GREAT for loosening screws or gummed up machines!!
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Thank you very much Charlee. I guess now I have to buy the Evapo Rust AND a blow dryer!
Get the Evapo Rust....let the blow dryer go...put them in the oven and heat them to about 250 degrees for about 20 minutes as long as they have no rubber parts.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Originally Posted by grannysewer
... my first sewing machine....I think it was a Dressmaker from the 50's.
There was a Model KNB with the “Universal” badge on it.

CD in Oklahoma
Thanks for info. If anyone can use the book, just PM me and I'll send it on. Bobbie