Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1759 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 759 1259 1659 1709 1749 1758 1759 1760 1769 ... LastLast
Results 43,951 to 43,975 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Hugs and prayers sent for you and your family. Prayers for Ashleah and Caleb that they may remain strong through all this. Hugs and prayers of sanity for Glenn for putting up with you

Thanks for the update Miriam. Ashleah and Caleb have a long road ahead of them but it sounds like the worst is over.
    I'll keep praying too.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Prayers continuing for Ashleah and your whole family Miriam.

Cari

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update Miriam I thought about her over the weekend. Glad things are going a little better and hope they continue. It is nice to have friends around during troubled times and I am sure Glenn and Pat are a help to you and your family.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Miriam,
    Hi. I read about your daughter-in-law and sent an ecard. I also listened to your son's music, which is well done. I hope their recovery continues on a good path.

By the way, the yellow brother is still one of my most awesome machines.

Melinda
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Miriam,
    Hi. I read about your daughter-in-law and sent an ecard. I also listened to your son's music, which is well done. I hope their recovery continues on a good path.

By the way, the yellow brother is still one of my most awesome machines.

Melinda
    Glad to see you back here Melinda. That yellow Brother is an awesome machine for sure and light weight too.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    LOL This is Miriam. I am using Glenn's computer. I could post just about anything and he would get all the blame... My husband and I are having a good time in Huntsville visiting with Glenn and Pat.

However, it has been a rough few days. Ashleah had surgery for the blood clot on the brain/stroke last Thusday. She was in intensive care but before they would move her to move her to a room they did another scan. They did not like what they saw - another clot. They repeated the surgery. During the surgery we got a call from our son and the report was that she may not make it - the surgeon could not break up the clot this time. For 3 hours we didn't hear anything. I am not sure what happened but she had some kind of mirical and is doing a lot better. She will have a very long recovery time. She has a very good attitude and is fighting to get herself back. The ecards mean a lot. During all this when she was not able to do much her family saw all the ecards and it was really helpful to them. Then when she has had a chance to look she has been very touched by all the cards. She said it is like getting hugs. You do not need a room number you just need her name. Everybody in the whole hospital knows Ashleah. Words of encouragement/stories are very important still. She's out of intensive care and rehab has begun. Reality is going to be tough on these newly weds.
    The latest up date. She is out of intensive care for now. She has a hole in her heart and some how clots got through. She will have some more tests and pictures tomorrow then they may do a 3rd surgery in a week. She LOVES LOVES LOVES all the e-cards. The hospital has never seen so many cards - they have no trouble finding her at all. The nurses didn't know they could get e-cards so this is causing an uproar!!! The family was very comforted by seeing all the e-cards on Friday when they thought they were losing her. She has a very long road to recovery ahead. Ashleah took a step today. She has been eating a little bit. We don't know about tomorrow. She has had some speech therapy but will need some more. My son bought a calendar and a bunch of stickers. He's putting a sticker on the calendar for every little improvement. She is hoping for lots of stickers every day. She thinks that is pretty cool. Ashleah and Caleb both say thank you everybody. (so do I) http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/...nital/pfo.aspx
    It would do everyone good to learn the signs of a stroke. I hope this helps someone someday - well actually I hope nobody else ever has a stroke but just in case:

Signs and symptoms of a stroke may include:

Sudden weakness
    Paralysis (an inability to move) or numbness of the face, arms, or legs, especially on one side of the body
    Confusion
    Trouble speaking or understanding speech
    Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
    Problems breathing
    Dizziness, trouble walking, loss of balance or coordination, and unexplained falls
    Loss of consciousness
    Sudden and severe headache
    Last edited by miriam; 09-15-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Glad you and Phil or home safe and sound. We sure had fun while you were here. Oh BTW I fixed the Standard motor it was a loose connection in the motor. Works fine now and very fast.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Glad to see you back here Melinda. That yellow Brother is an awesome machine for sure and light weight too.
    What? What? You had a yellow Brother? Good thing yellow isn't one of my favorite colors, lol. Seriously though, I've only seen one yellow one vintage enough to interest me and they wouldn't come down from an outrageous price.

Cari

Blog Entries
    WOW Ashleah has moved to the re-hab center - they think she can do 3 1/2 hours of re-hab a day. The doctors did not find a hole in her heart as they thought. They still don't know what caused the stroke. I teased them and said the hospital was tired of printing out cards so they sent her to the re-hab center where she will be a case study... They are very thankful for all the cards and prayers. It helped a lot when things looked the worst. She still has a long road ahead.

That's AWESOME that she's doing so well. Here's hoping she continues to baffle her doctors and recover completely.

Cari

Wonderful news Miriam!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    That's very good news. Hope she continues to improve. Keep the up dates coming.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

That's wonderful Miriam!

My 13 year old grand daughter is learning to use my Singer 66 red eye treadle. Today after homework is done, she will be making some crumb blocks.
    Sharon in Texas

Thanks for the update Miriam. I take it we can't send cards to her in the new facility? How long do they think she will be there?
    I'm glad to see Ashleah's doing better. I'll keep praying too.
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    We don't know how long it will take in re-hab. I'll look into the cards for the re-hab - that may be just as important - re-hab could be discouraging if it takes a long time.

Hey all, new here.

I usually fix motorcycles and computer servers, this is my first sewing machine My wife's favorite purse was disintegrating and hanging on by a thread and gave me some incentive to get this sewing machine up and running that I bought last year for $20. (I liked it because I thought it looked a bit like Ironman) It is a Japanese De Luxe model MSAZ.

The belt was cracked and coming apart, the stick length selector was seized and the rest worked by hand with some effort. I oiled all the points and cleaned everywhere it needed and worked the oil in and now the thing spins effortlessly with no resistance, even with the bad belt the thing runs great and whisper quiet.

Stich selector took some effort to fix. There was a bolt way up inside the case only accessible from the bottom that was torqued down and why it wouldn't turn, It also looks like someone hammered it back together and slightly bent the cam. I found out the hard way that if you pull this piece out it will not go back together easily unless you push the reverse button and it'll drop back in. With that fixed everything is working perfectly.

I'm impressed with the quality of the internals and it sews great, effortless stitching through 8 layers of denim to fix my wifes purse straps. It only does straight and zig-zag stitches, nothing fancy but as both of us haven't sewn much in 20 years it's all we'd ever need for the occasional repair and hemming. I do like that you can drop the feed dogs and set stitch length to 0 to do cool stuff by hand though.

Anyway I'd like to find out a little bit more about it, when it was made and by who if possible. Any info would be helpful.

I've got some more pics here and a couple videos of it running here

I replied in the zigzag section too. I decided to post a pic here for you.

Your machine will do decorative stitches too if you find the cams to fit it. The little door on top is where they go.
    Neat machine.
    Rodney

I like it! The color scheme and shape are classic. And it's in very good condition, too.

Miriam, I am so glad to hear this good news. When you find out about the cards I would like to know as well.
    ~G~

I just thought I would share this.
    Some time back I did a Necchi Mira BU for "K". I make no secret that I like vintage Necchi and Pfaff machines. Anyone that has used one will agree with me that they are outstanding machines. Powerful machines that will go through almost anything, have great stitches and run smooth and quiet. "K" contacted me yesterday and told me that she was sewing multiple layers of the heaviest fabric she could find with her Mira and it was going through them effortlessly. She was really impressed with how it was handling such a heavy job with a domestic machine.
    This is a pic of "K's" machine.
    ~G~
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine asked for some help on a Singer 27 with Pheasant Decals. The needlebar was rusted solid in the head. He was upset that he was going to have to part it out. It took some doing but I was able to free it up and get it moving nicely again. Another one saved from being lost forever.
    He sent me this picture of how it looks now.
    ~G~

Attached Images Attached Images

Both of my 27s have that pattern. Your friend's machine has nicer decals than either of mine. Nice save.
    That Necchi is a nice looking machine too.
    Rodney

Grant, you've once again reminded me why I've purchased old sewing machines. Those are great pictures.

Question on the Mira: What did you use for the Wonder Wheel tire? Mine's crumbling.