Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

You have to figure that the parts sold on ebay are coming from a donor machine of some kind. I would prefer to select a donor machine my self when ever possible. Over here, a donor machine is one that has either too many parts missing already or in really sad shape - although I've restored and seen some amazing results... Sometimes it is better to combine two machines and have one that works. Then let the other one be for parts. I don't know what people who sell off ebay are doing. I don't know if I want to support them if they are just cannibalizing a perfectly good machine because they can make a little cash. I have a pathetic Singer 500 that has donated parts to at least 5 machines. She was very abused when I bought her. She has donated her bobbin plate, her throat plate, her presser foot, her motor, her tension, her face door, her needle bar, spring from the bobbin case holder, the slide plate spring and a bobbin winder spring and maybe soon her stitch selector shaft. Her bottom was rusted solid when I got her her top door is misery without a hinge... DH put a bit too much torque trying to crank her around and something broke - I was so mad at him at the time... BUT I would have paid many times what I paid for her for the parts I've used already.. who knows what other parts I will someday be able to use...
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Phylis nm

You have the winder assemble right. I think you need to loosen the top screw and slide it to the other end of the slot. The bottom picture is in the release position as if the bobbin was full. The top screw is the adjustment for the tire to press against the hand wheel. To engage the bobbin winder you press on the black portion next to the tire and it will click when it is set for winding. If at that point the tire doesn't engage to hand wheel you adjust the top screw. HTH's
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 AM

BoJanges and Miss Johnny: Thanks so much for your replies! Does anyone know where there are instructions for converting her to a treadle? I am not savy on this, but can follow directions with the best of them. Also, not sure what to purchase in the way of a cabinet that would meet the need. What does HC stand for? Thanks for your help.
Tulip
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tulip
BoJanges and Miss Johnny: Thanks so much for your replies! Does anyone know where there are instructions for converting her to a treadle? I am not savy on this, but can follow directions with the best of them. Also, not sure what to purchase in the way of a cabinet that would meet the need. What does HC stand for? Thanks for your help.
Tulip
HC = hand crank
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Picked up a 127 Sphinz today at the flea market. All the parts are there, nothing broke, needs to be cleaned and some light rust removed. Got 4 bobbins, two original drawer pulls and parts of the lift mechanism with it. Turns easy and the shuttle is there. Looked up the build date and it is a 1902, serial # K463971. Decals are in rough shape, not planning to use it anyway, just for looks. Oh ya $5
Old 06-12-2011, 10:45 AM

Monica, I have been playing with Annie Oakley Two Spools. I can't get her to sew. I know I am not putting that second spool holder in correctly. Does it make a snap sound like a regular bobbin when inserted correctly so you know it is locked?

Nancy
Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
Phylis nm

You have the winder assemble right. I think you need to loosen the top screw and slide it to the other end of the slot. The bottom picture is in the release position as if the bobbin was full. The top screw is the adjustment for the tire to press against the hand wheel. To engage the bobbin winder you press on the black portion next to the tire and it will click when it is set for winding. If at that point the tire doesn't engage to hand wheel you adjust the top screw. HTH's
Yes Lee, you are so right. I have never used this type of winder before. Thank you so much, I am glad you joined.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tulip
Tulip
Nearly Singer treadle cabinet will work--obviously not those for a fiddle base machine, but any of the ones for straight sided heads. Just remove the electrics, clean it up, and set in the hinge pins.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM

I just picked up a Singer TReeadle that is in need of TLC..the number on the plate is C7676306 and she has Egyption decals on her. Can you tell me any information about her please.?
sass
Old 06-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Yes you are correct really long needle thank you so much for your help.

Bev

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Please help, can anyone tell me where I can get more needles for my Minnesota D treadle? I finally got her running good but am almost afraid to use her as I only have the one needle. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks
Bev
I think the D was Davis made, and took Davis long needles--am I right? If so, try finding a Boye 10 on Ebay or from other collectors.