Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by LAQUITA
Hello,
I am new to the group, as of today I have a "new' to me Mocha colored Singer 301. She's a beauty and I only paid $50.00 for her off CL. In original case original foot controller.
I am so in want of this machine!! I love it! Lucky you!!
Randa, come over to my country side. There is a black 301 for $110! :-D

http://kpr.craigslist.org/atq/2426926820.html
OMG!!! What do you suppose it would cost to ship it?? I'm in lust!!! LOL!
Randa, I wrote to the owner last night but have not heard back from them.

I really want another 301. The one I bought a few weeks ago is for my Grace frame but I also want one for FMQ.

Although, I haven't really tried my Singer 15-91 that I bought from an original owner. She took extremely good care of it.

Decisions, decisions. I keep telling DH I don't need any more machines. But, certain 'good ones' keep popping up. What is a collector to do???????????????? :-D
Oh, good luck!! I hope you get it!! I did tell my DH that I only wanted one more machine...a 301!!! He didn't say no! LOL! And I heard him admit to someone that some of my machines are really cool!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Buslady;

Two spools refers to to a National machine that did use 2 spools of thread. One was the upper thread and the other was the bobbin thread. I have one and it's a treadle. Not sure if they were ever e-machines or just people powered ones. They can be found but must be checked thoroughly to see if all the bobbin parts are complete as those are difficult to find from what I understand. Mine is complete. Dh would like her to go so I can oput some of my other finds in my sewing room and out of his garage space. I am undecided as of the moment. I do want a treadle but not sure what kind.
My first Two Spools looked like it once had a motor on it.
I had my first Two Spools in a modified treadle that my husband did the modification for me (clever man). Since the machine is narrower, he took a wider portion of another cabinet ( lighter in color top section shown in photo) to hold the machine on the front lip. Since the pins don't line up, he set the machine in one hinge pin and got a small metal plate the sets next to the Singer other hinge pin ( screwed in underneath by pin) for the machine to rest on. That metal plate swings out of the way so that other Singer machines can be used too. So one straight-leg treadle was used for Singer machine heads as well as the National Two Spools. Last weekend at the Mini TOGA in Sacramento CA, I showed how the conversion works in the straight-leg with the Two Spools and Singer 328K.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-209563.jpe   attachment-209564.jpe  
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Chris,

Please keep your Two Spools! I love piecing with mine. The foot is the perfect 1/4 inch for piecing and you can put the machine head into a Singer treadle, just need to make some modifications to the cabinet to hold the Two Spools.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank. Thanks to Billy and his tutes, she is looking good. Billy suggested not doing anything but cleaning because of her age, born about 1900. According to Damascus Annie the style of the handcrank is called Saxonia.
I did use a product called Evapo-Rust that I got from Harbor Freight that eats rust and isn't caustic to people. I did not use it around the decals, but soaked everything else after it had a kerosene bath. I love that stuff. There is no rust on this machine, even though some pictures make it look like there is some on the face plate.

Texas Jan (Who is now addicted to vintage machines)
Texas Jan, You did a great job and the fix on the broken piece came out well. I want to see something sewn with her someday.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Glenn
Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Chris,Please keep your Two Spools! I love piecing with mine. The foot is the perfect 1/4 inch for piecing and you can put the machine head into a Singer treadle, just need to make some modifications to the cabinet to hold the Two Spools.
I do want to play with her but need more space or (GASP!!!) fewer machines. Dh likes the 2nd option. I have not played much with her and do believe she's missing the bobbin spool cover. Right now, she's the resting place for my FW and the 301. Need to reconfigure sewing room and make it habitable by people, fabric and machines. Thanks for your encouragement.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=cabbagepatchkid]
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by jljack

If my husband wouldn't kill me (and if I had the money and space) after buying the featherweight and the 99, I would love to have this! The case is really cool and it would be neat to have a treadle!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2409565933.html
Pretty cabinet and machine! The decals on the machine is Tiffany or Gingerbread.
The machine is a Singer 15-30, beautiful machine & OMG the parlor cabinet is to die for!
I have that same cabinet but mine is really dark and I don't like it but I do like the one in the ad. I wonder if it's possible to lighten a darkened cabinet by removing the shellac/varnish.
Numerous cabinets seem to have the dark varnish/shellac on them. I too wonder if removing the shellac/varnish would make a big difference. I sanded one of my cabinets down and just used tung oil on it to finish it, but it is still dark looking.

This cabinet is gorgeous!
There are many reasons why a cabinet looks dark. The shellac may have darkened with age but this is unlikely. Most of the time is because people us oil to polish and keep the furniture dusted and looking good, but after many years of this dust collects on the wet oil and accumulates until the finish is dark. But the what really happens is the after many years of use the finish becomes dull and scratched so to update and beautify the cabinet they apply shellac with a stain mixed in which usually a dark mahogony. Before I would mess with the finish go to tuts and look up my cleaning and reviving the finish on furniture and if it lightens and cleans up then fine but if not you have two choices refinish(strip shellac) and apply new finish or restore the finish. You will need to PM me on this one. You can test to see if the dark finish as been applied over the old finish by taking denatured alcohol soak rag and rubbing a small spot this will take the top layer off to see what is under the dark finish. You may PM me if you have questions. Refinishing is always the last resort and like Charlee said it can devalue the antique sewing cabinet but if it looks bad then the value is already gone. Most singer sewing cabinet were not well made and were made to hold the machine and the irons to treadle. The machines however were very well made and are the best as we all know. Kinda funny isn't it? If the cabinet has been re -shellaced with dark shellac the cabinet has already been modified and devalued. Glenn
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM

[quote=Glenn][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by jljack

If my husband wouldn't kill me (and if I had the money and space) after buying the featherweight and the 99, I would love to have this! The case is really cool and it would be neat to have a treadle!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2409565933.html
Pretty cabinet and machine! The decals on the machine is Tiffany or Gingerbread.
The machine is a Singer 15-30, beautiful machine & OMG the parlor cabinet is to die for!
I have that same cabinet but mine is really dark and I don't like it but I do like the one in the ad. I wonder if it's possible to lighten a darkened cabinet by removing the shellac/varnish.
Numerous cabinets seem to have the dark varnish/shellac on them. I too wonder if removing the shellac/varnish would make a big difference. I sanded one of my cabinets down and just used tung oil on it to finish it, but it is still dark looking.

This cabinet is gorgeous!
There are many reasons why a cabinet looks dark. The shellac may have darkened with age but this is unlikely. Most of the time is because people us oil to polish and keep the furniture dusted and looking good, but after many years of this dust collects on the wet oil and accumulates until the finish is dark. But the what really happens is the after many years of use the finish becomes dull and scratched so to update and beautify the cabinet they apply shellac with a stain mixed in which usually a dark mahogony. Before I would mess with the finish go to tuts and look up my cleaning and reviving the finish on furniture and if it lightens and cleans up then fine but if not you have two choices refinish(strip shellac) and apply new finish or restore the finish. You will need to PM me on this one. You can test to see if the dark finish as been applied over the old finish by taking denatured alcohol soak rag and rubbing a small spot this will take the top layer off to see what is under the dark finish. You may PM me if you have questions. Refinishing is always the last resort and like Charlee said it can devalue the antique sewing cabinet but if it looks bad then the value is already gone. Most singer sewing cabinet were not well made and were made to hold the machine and the irons to treadle. The machines however were very well made and are the best as we all know. Kinda funny isn't it? If the cabinet has been re -shellaced with dark shellac the cabinet has already been modifies and devalued. Glenn
Thank you Glenn! This is interesting and very helpful!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 PM

Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank.
Texas Jan, I can see what bug you caught. You did a great job on that national. Congratulations, have you sewn on here?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM

[quote=jljack]
Originally Posted by quilt addict

Here it is. We belong to a car club here, and just had our annual car show. I won 3rd place in 1960 and Older Cars. I was thrilled!!
Congratulations on you award. It is a beauty! Drive it on down to San Diego and let me see..... :mrgreen:
Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank. Thanks to Billy and his tutes, she is looking good. Billy suggested not doing anything but cleaning because of her age, born about 1900. According to Damascus Annie the style of the handcrank is called Saxonia.
I did use a product called Evapo-Rust that I got from Harbor Freight that eats rust and isn't caustic to people. I did not use it around the decals, but soaked everything else after it had a kerosene bath. I love that stuff. There is no rust on this machine, even though some pictures make it look like there is some on the face plate.

Texas Jan, You did a great job and the fix on the broken piece came out well. I want to see something sewn with her someday.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Glenn
I had to look at your machine again and I am impressed. I must get me some Evapo-rust.. You said Harbor Freight? I am on my way. Glenn