Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan
Geeze Texas Jan, Wow and Wow and WOWWWWWWW!

Now aren't you glad we all talked you into getting that beautiful little machine! I am drooling!

Nancy
Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Now aren't you glad we all talked you into getting that beautiful little machine! I am drooling!
Nancy
I KNOW!!! I'm practically drooling over how beautiful it is!!!! So far I have only been buying vintage Singers....I may have to branch out :shock:
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan

Nancy
yes, I am glad. It didn't take too much convincing. lol

Texas Jan
Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Aw hell count me in and I will bring the Long Island Teas and cookies!!

Billy
Geeze this is sounding like more and more fun!

Nancy
Well you can all come and visit me anytime...wouldn't that be fun??

Bronwyn ;-)
Yes, it would be fun!

Here is the ISMACs needle list - it may help find needle size for Texas Jan! http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf

Nancy
Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 AM

There is a mocha Singer 301 in a trapazoid cabinet for $100.00 in Western Massachusetts (Ludlow) for anyone who may be interested. The cabinet may need some work but the price is awesome. Here is the link: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/hsh/2458727711.html
Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
OK, I need to stay home. I bought two FW last week that I have not got home yet. I bought a Huskystar 219 with a nice Kuala cabinet. Then I bought this some one will ha e to tell what I have. It is a slant needle about the same size as 301 without but has horizontal bobbin. Nice little machine has a lever to lift the needle plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. Cannot find a serial number on it or a model number so what is it?
Quilter Gary, the model number is right above the stitch regulator. I can see it in your picture - I just can't make it out! The serial number in underneath etched in the bed of the machine. Great looking machine by the way!

Nancy
Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Ok, I see you all found your serial numbers and model numbers! I can't keep up anymore, you guys are getting so many gorgeous machines -- which means when I get on here early in the morning I have several pages to read! I love it! I haven't had a chance to go yard saling for a while - always something else we have to do! I am jealous of all the fun! Geeze, I had to ride all day yesterday in a clinic -- took away from my machine hunts - what nerve those horses have anyway expecting me to ride them all the time!

Nancy

Oh and Monica, I will post photos of my machines in the photo shop as soon as I can, but right now I am busy training two horses; and, I have two quilts I have to have done by the 9th of July!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by skaduzy
Here is the head. I am going to try to show what the bobbin area looks like. I also have this round piece. I don't know what I am missing but I bet it is a lot.
I ordered a manual from some place in West Virginia and hope it will answer some questions for me.
Skaduzy, remember Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson in 1905 - so if you have an authentic Wheeler & Wilson it is pre 1905 for sure!

Here is some interesting history of the Wheeler & Wilson Company.

http://www.sewalot.com/wheeler%20&%2...20machines.htm

I love your machine too! I have always said those Wheeler & Wilson's are the aristocrates of the sewing machine world - a step above the others!
Nancy
I think it is beautiful too! It has 4 patent dates listed on the throat plate starting in 1878, then 1883, 1888 and the last is March 1890. I found a bobbin in it with thread still on it and a needle (not very sharp!) in a jar my Gramma had in the drawer. This is getting very exciting.......thanks for the link on Wheeler and Wilson. I'm going to look it up now. Sue
Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 AM

here she is all cleaned up...this is the one I bought for $40 and someone had used a dark stain on the top of it. I'm not going to re-finish it cuz the veneer is iffy. It has the singer sewing company on the top with "manufactured in Great Britian" below it. The singer site says the F series was manufactured in Clydebank, Scotland in 1913 so don't know which is right. It is the lotus blossom and some of the blossoms on the back were completely covered in grime. spent hours uncovering them but they are all there...what should I call her, "ressurrection"....will really enjoy her, belt is next and she will be up and running.

she doesn't look that bad for the way she was treated
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217010[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217004.jpe   attachment-217005.jpe  
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay, I'm blaming you guys on my latest find.
While walking the dog this morning, I'm strolling around the neighborhood checking out the garage deals. As I'm walking down the street, I spot a 401A sitting off to the side. So, of course I pick up my pace. The lady was selling it for $10 without the power cord; it did have the foot petal cord. She was very apologetic that it didn't have the cord. I told her that is ok, I'll still take it. After I got home, I dug through my discarded motors box and pull out a cord with the correct adapter. I'm in business!

I thank whoever talked about the sewing lid holding the box of attachments. I really dig the way that contraption operates and tucks away nicely.

See Nancy, I now have two machines that I will not be treadling.
:-)
OMG!!!!!! You got a 401A for $10!!!!!! Geeze you are the lucky one -- and now you have a feather weight and a Rocketeer!!! Did you get any cams? Monica, you will love playing with that machine! Geeze, you and I will have a matched set of everthing! Except, I have the 503A!

What year is the Rocketeer and what year is your FW?
Nancy

I see you answered that - the Rocketeer is 1951!
I thought the Rocketeer is the 500A. I don't have a Rocketeer.
The 401A is sufficient for my style of sewing. I have a feeling this gal will be sitting on bookcase more than being put to work. I will have to make one quilt that is pieced with the FW and the binding is finished off with the 401.