Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank. Thanks to Billy and his tutes, she is looking good. Billy suggested not doing anything but cleaning because of her age, born about 1900. According to Damascus Annie the style of the handcrank is called Saxonia.
I did use a product called Evapo-Rust that I got from Harbor Freight that eats rust and isn't caustic to people. I did not use it around the decals, but soaked everything else after it had a kerosene bath. I love that stuff. There is no rust on this machine, even though some pictures make it look like there is some on the face plate.

Texas Jan (Who is now addicted to vintage machines)
Texas Jan, You did a great job and the fix on the broken piece came out well. I want to see something sewn with her someday.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Glenn
I had to look at your machine again and I am impressed. I must get me some Evapo-rust.. You said Harbor Freight? I am on my way. Glenn
That did do an excellent job of removing all the rust. Beautiful job! Well worth all the work and time that you put into cleaning the gal up.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
!

Monica look at this! Is this machine actually a Two Spools?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2431474651.html

Nancy
I'm not Monica, but yes, it is. I love that cabinet style!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
If my husband wouldn't kill me (and if I had the money and space) after buying the featherweight and the 99, I would love to have this! The case is really cool and it would be neat to have a treadle!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2409565933.html

Deplay, that would be nice to have just for the cabinet!![/quote]

Buy it. And Jan--great job on the Paveway!! I am constantly amazed at what you all tackle. I wouldn't begin to take on some of the machines you all manage to bring back to life.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Two spools refers to to a National machine . . . I have one and it's a treadle. Not sure if they were ever e-machines or just people powered ones.
Yes, they did come in an electric version, and if you can find a cabinet, they can be converted back. I do know that the National Rotary is the same size as the Two Spool, so you can have one cabinet and two wonderful machines!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Two spools refers to to a National machine . . . I have one and it's a treadle. Not sure if they were ever e-machines or just people powered ones.
Yes, they did come in an electric version,
Miz Johhny; Thanks for your 4 cents worth of information. I have never seen a 2-spools e-machine but have seen several people powered ones. I knew someone on the board would know.

Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank. Thanks to Billy and his tutes, she is looking good. Billy suggested not doing anything but cleaning because of her age, born about 1900. According to Damascus Annie the style of the handcrank is called Saxonia.
I did use a product called Evapo-Rust that I got from Harbor Freight that eats rust and isn't caustic to people. I did not use it around the decals, but soaked everything else after it had a kerosene bath. I love that stuff. There is no rust on this machine, even though some pictures make it look like there is some on the face plate.

Texas Jan, You did a great job and the fix on the broken piece came out well. I want to see something sewn with her someday.
So do I Glenn !! When I figure it out, I will post.

Texas Jan

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Please help, can anyone tell me where I can get more needles for my Minnesota D treadle? I finally got her running good but am almost afraid to use her as I only have the one needle. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks
Bev
I think the D was Davis made, and took Davis long needles--am I right? If so, try finding a Boye 10 on Ebay or from other collectors.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Here is my little rusted National Paveway Handcrank.
Texas Jan, I can see what bug you caught. You did a great job on that national. Congratulations, have you sewn on here?
Haven't sewn on her yet. She is missing the bobbin winder, so I'm gonna have to get another shuttle machine going where I can wind one. Thanks for the Compliments.

Texas Jan
Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I had to look at your machine again and I am impressed. I must get me some Evapo-rust.. You said Harbor Freight? I am on my way. Glenn
That did do an excellent job of removing all the rust. Beautiful job! Well worth all the work and time that you put into cleaning the gal up.
Thanks !! You just soak the stuff and rinse it off with a toothbrush. No scrubbing. No harmful fumes, no rubber gloves. If I sound like a walking advertisement--I am.

Texas Jan
Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM

[/quote]

And Jan--great job on the Paveway!! I am constantly amazed at what you all tackle. I wouldn't begin to take on some of the machines you all manage to bring back to life.[/quote]

Thanks. I would love to have some "like new" machines, but the pocket book won't allow. I do enjoy the refinishing too.
Texas Jan